LegacyGT.com

ALL 08/09 LGT, OBXT, FXT and STI OWNERS!!!!!

AKLGT

Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later

Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later

2.5GT-B 222958 or later 2008/02/04 or later

OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later

Any news lately on this other than the above listed test? I bought an OBXT yesterday with a 360XXX 3/08 VIN/build date. I just called the dealer, and he said the stop sale was lifted last month, and that there were no problems with US cars. Or did they forget they were not supposed to sell these particular vehicles?

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any news lately on this other than the above listed test? I bought an OBXT yesterday with a 360XXX 3/08 VIN/build date. I just called the dealer, and he said the stop sale was lifted last month, and that there were no problems with US cars. Or did they forget they were not supposed to sell these particular vehicles?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.cars101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=339&p=581#p581

Hopefully that thread helps.

-ben

Thanks, I saw that previously in this thread. I meant have then decided there is no problem at the factory at this point. My car just came off of the truck with 3 miles on it only a few hours before I picked it up. No one in service did anything as described on it in that time, and the dealer said the stop sale had been lifted, so they wouldn't have performed the test anyway if that were correct.

Just had a conversation with our Service Manager here....they tested all the ones that were on the list and ones previous it and the ones coming in from March. They are doing the previous unit and the ones since and absorbing the cost of the testing. They want to make sure the customer's confidence is satisfied.

If one was found, Subaru was sending the dealers created motors to replace the defective units.....the problem was in the Crank Bearings and the cost is being borne by the Bearing Manufacturer.

Doing my first oil change and switching to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 around 2000-2500 miles. I'd really like Subaru to provide some sort of assurance that my engine isn't going to grenade in the long run....I understand that this bearing problem should have surfaced already, but I'm not comfortable with that.

Joe

As noted above, my new car fell into that range. I called the dealer Saturday, and he didn't know what I was talking about. When I explained further, he said that the problem had been resolved "last month" and that the cars were all OK. In other words, he didn't know.

I saw here that SOA had issued instructions to dealers to perform the test on the cars in question, which included changing oil, inspecting the oil, running the newly re-oiled car at a sustained 6,000 RPM, and again changing and checking the oil. Only after this were cars to be released. My car was only at the dealer overnight before I bought it, so obviously none of this happened.

Monday I called SOA and asked about my car and the stop order. Was it resolved? Was my car affected? Yes, all cars on the lot are OK to go. I told him of my experience with the dealer and his lack of information. Would my dealer have performed the test? No, not on a car that arrived since the stop order. It would have been pre-tested. So at some point, my car had been through some testing at high RPM. I asked about this not being within breakin specs, and he insisted the engineers had approved it as safe.

Nevertheless, I am officially on record as having concerns about the testing and longevity of my engine, and have a case number issued against it. There is no further action happening at this time, but if I have any problems this will certainly give me some basis for recourse. I was within the three-day window, and thought about returning the car. But decided to stick with this one and see what happens. If something's going to break, it will happen well within the warranty period.

alright, here's the story I heard, not sure how true it is, but speaking with the sales manager and other people I trust here. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt.

supposedly, there was some kind of metal shavings that got in a few oil pans on the assembly line. Rather than them catching this immediately and cleaning them all out, those oil pans were put into production and placed on new cars. There were only a slight handful of them, but they weren't sure which ones. If you were affected by the "issue" your car would have been making some horrendous noises within the first 200 miles and your engine would have seized up and gone kaput. This is not something that would surface at 2000 miles, but almost immediately. Not only that, there seems to be only a handful of cases where this has happened and so far from what I gather, none in the US. So, more than likely, your car will be just fine. ;)

Mine was also in that little scare originally, however I am confident that it's not only fine, but doing great.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

So if I bought my car (2008 LGT) in like, July 2007... I should be fine then?

I seriously hope you are kidding or I'm going to have to reach through this laptop and slap you! READ THE FIRST POST!

So if I bought my car (2008 LGT) in like, July 2007... I should be fine then?

Reading/comprehension is not your strong point is it?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...

I am the tool that reposted this....I did read about making sure things are not already posted.

However (me being the TOTAL TOOL) had searched (via page after page) and didn't see it. I didn't see it because (like the tool I am) I had (when setting up my user) set the cut-off post for a week.

Someone pointed out to me (the obvious) that you can set it for a month, a year, or from the beginning.

Now I am a LITTLE wiser - not by much....please forgive.....

--------------------------------------------------

On to my issue...

I ordered a 09 LGT 4 weeks ago, it was suppose to be here by the end of June for the Subaru Trade-in (that ended in June). The dealer called me and said that they will continue to honor the trade-in value. I am just wondering if this problem has not be resolved? Or if the problem created a serious amount of back orders.

---------------

Again sorry for the repost earlier...

I ordered my gtb in early Jan, it arrived late Feb, they are just in short supply.....and although it was in the VIN range as a suspect engine, it checked out fine - ie no metal particles in the oil at 4700kms.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon

I am the tool that reposted this....I did read about making sure things are not already posted.

However (me being the TOTAL TOOL) had searched (via page after page) and didn't see it. I didn't see it because (like the tool I am) I had (when setting up my user) set the cut-off post for a week.

Someone pointed out to me (the obvious) that you can set it for a month, a year, or from the beginning.

Now I am a LITTLE wiser - not by much....please forgive.....

--------------------------------------------------

On to my issue...

I ordered a 09 LGT 4 weeks ago, it was suppose to be here by the end of June for the Subaru Trade-in (that ended in June). The dealer called me and said that they will continue to honor the trade-in value. I am just wondering if this problem has not be resolved? Or if the problem created a serious amount of back orders.

---------------

Again sorry for the repost earlier...

for the most part this is old news and most vehicles affected by it were 08 and not 09 and only a handful at most. No need to freak out and if you actually did read the bulletin, being the tool you are, you would know that your VIN number would not even apply. I don't know of any models in the US that even had this issue, it was just an extra precaution to make sure they located any and all affected units (the small handful and also found in other world markets).

• 3 months later...

I'm only posting here to give a bit of a better perspective on the "VIN ranges" affected by this issue.

Please keep in mind that the VIN's listed are for 2008 models. ALL 2009 models at the time of the post were affected. VIN #'s reset at each year, so the 2xxxxx used for Legacy's, for instance, would become a later build if it's a 2009 with VIN 211xxx vs a 2008 VIN 229xxx.

My case is living proof that the 2009 vehicles were affected by this.

So, in summary, ALL 2008's with VIN's higher than the ones in the first post, and ALL 2009's build shortly thereafter were affected by this.

Affected, of course, means that they were subject to the manufacturing processes that were to blame for the failures. It does not necessarily mean your engine will fail prematurely, but it could.

Okay, now I'm ready for the rocks to be thrown my way for reviving an old thread. :p

^ I don't think that anyone will blame you, given what you went through.

For those who are quick to yell "necropost," please read EddieSpecB's unique perspective (and unfortunately, intimate understanding) on this ----->

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98309

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Eddie- A fellow PNWer here. :D Sorry this has been such an ordeal for you. :spin::(

Can you have SOA or the dealer confirm what the new VIN is on your incoming spec.B? And then whether or not that is the sandpaper and vegetable oil production line or if it's the machined production line? I think you need something in writing that this is from the reformed line of production before taking delivery. :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived