LegacyGT.com

How often do you change your air filter

fishbone

We're talking stock intake. I know it varies very much based on driving style, conditions, paved vs gravel/dusty road, etc. But for the life of me this one particular item ... I can never tell when it's dirty and needs replacement or I'm overdoing it. My shop explained it to me pretty simple. Grab a flashlight and shine it through the filter. If you can easily see the light, it's good to go. If not, swap it.

Yesterday was a particularly sunny day so I did just that, I took out my air filter and looked through it and a clean one for comparison by holding them up to the sun. The clean one obviously let a lot of light through, the other one none whatsoever. There was hardly debris stuck in it but it was a dark gray, charcoal-looking almost. By flashing light through it, I could only see light at the bend points, nowhere else.

I put 8 thousand miles on it, replaced it last on October of 2007. I do live out in the country so every now and then I get stuck behind another car in a cloud of dust.

I'll watch my mpg average and see if it improves.

Thoughts? How much do you guys go on one air filter and what kind of conditions do you drive in?

Thats how the silica gets in your engine. Like having sandpaper in your motor.

BTW does anyone have any data about paper air filters compaired to fabric and oil / dry fabric filters as to silica getting in your engine.

The only thing the non- paper filters seem to talk about is airflow.

Fishbone, I change the air filters in my cars that us the stock style panel filter in the spring and in the fall. That way you clear out all the salt, sand and grime from winter driving in the late spring after they sweep the roads off. And since you commute down our dusty backroads all summer long; you will have a clean filter for the wet season when you change it out in the late fall.

BTW we still need to get together and go for a ride or actually schedule a local meet sometime this year!!

Let's kick this pig!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I just got my first oil analysis back done by Terry at Dyson. He recommended that for my application I should try to change my air filter as low as every 5000 miles since there's been some contaminants in the oil.

For the urban environment of Chicago I find it that every oil change (3000 miles) may be a tad too early but every other oil change may be a tad too late. I mean when I do pour water on it (counter current to the air flow) the sink gets black. I did it in April...i will likely do it again in June.

Archived