LegacyGT.com

Opinion's on 08 Legacy 3.0R

Silly sea-level people :icon_tong!
My experience is that people who make comments like this are not from Colorado, but recent flatland transplants. And I don't live at sea level - I live at approximately 16 ft.

"I'll take famous Colorado sailors for $100, Alex."

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are so way off topic here. One guys talking about how his stage 2 could win a race etc. The OP just asked whether or not people who owned 3.0R's liked them. Just relax everyone without a 3.0R thats posting here cause the question isn't for you.

You guys are so way off topic here. One guys talking about how his stage 2 could win a race etc. The OP just asked whether or not people who owned 3.0R's liked them. Just relax everyone without a 3.0R thats posting here cause the question isn't for you.

Agreed.

Ok then, i have driven a couple 3.0rs, they are solid cars with some nice features, and yes you can run them on regular octane, im not sure i would run a high compression car on high octane but some people do.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope that you have been enjoying your 2006 Outback 3.0R Wagon.

The 3.0-liter H6 engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be used. This is not just for emergency situations. You can use regular unleaded fuel in your vehicle on a regular basis. However, for optimum engine performance and driveability, it is recommended that you use 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline.

You may experience reduced output, poor accelerator response, and reduced fuel economy when using gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 AKI, depending on your driving habits and conditions.

If you experience any of those conditions while using a lower octane rated fuel, you may want to return to using 91 AKI octane rated fuel as soon as possible. Additionally, if your vehicle knocks heavily or persistently, or if you are driving with heavy loads such as when towing a trailer, the use of 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline is required.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

Who Dares Wins

スバル

And then if you read a ways down it states the vehicle may start to knock and you will feel a decrease in performance, because the ECU will be using a different octane table. So like i said i would use 91 or higher, because i dont like knock or losing performance

And then if you read a ways down it states the vehicle may start to knock and you will feel a decrease in performance, because the ECU will be using a different octane table. So like i said i would use 91 or higher, because i dont like knock or losing performance
You are correct. That's why I had it run on a dyno at TDC with regular, to see if there's any evidence of detonation, or ignition timing or other factors that would indicate that higher octane would yield improved performance. There wasn't. I've also logged every gallon of fuel used, 93, 89, and regular octane, to see if there's any difference in MPG - there wasn't. The car has 48,000 miles on it.

I did use 93 octane when I took it to a Skip Barber course, for the high-speed autocross at Devens, and towing. I'm not cheap, just don't see any need to waste money.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So people who sell them, drive them every day, know far more about them than your average owner shouldn't give their advice??? Sticking your head in the sand is the best way to make all your problems to go away... kinda like hiding under the covers when you are afraid of the monsters in your room.

:soap_box:

So people who sell them, drive them every day, know far more about them than your average owner shouldn't give their advice??? Sticking your head in the sand is the best way to make all your problems to go away... kinda like hiding under the covers when you are afraid of the monsters in your room.

:soap_box:

I think he was referring to the fact that turbo owners tend to spam any thread about 3.0R's. Like this one.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

You turbo guys think that the only reason that people buy these cars is for performance. I bought my 3.0 because it's a lot nicer inside, it came with the nav and I like the 18" wheels. I don't have the option to not get to work on a snow day so I like the all wheel drive (and that has been amazing for me). I have always had manual tranny cars but now I drive the capitol beltway every day (read: I sit in a lot of traffic) so an auto is even better for me. I've had my car for 6 months now and it has about 12k miles on it so using regular gas is a huge plus for me. I have been extremely happy with my 3.0 and I would tell all you turbo guys to open your minds to the idea that performance isn't the only reason that people buy cars.

You turbo guys think that the only reason that people buy these cars is for performance. I bought my 3.0 because it's a lot nicer inside, it came with the nav and I like the 18" wheels. I don't have the option to not get to work on a snow day so I like the all wheel drive (and that has been amazing for me). I have always had manual tranny cars but now I drive the capitol beltway every day (read: I sit in a lot of traffic) so an auto is even better for me. I've had my car for 6 months now and it has about 12k miles on it so using regular gas is a huge plus for me. I have been extremely happy with my 3.0 and I would tell all you turbo guys to open your minds to the idea that performance isn't the only reason that people buy cars.

Amen. And it seems that's the general consensus of this (and many of the other) 3.0R vs. 2.5 GT threads.

If you're into performance, modding for performance, racing, etc, the 3.0 R is not the car for you.

If you're a daily driver who wants a comfortable, smooth, powerful car with an automatic transmission, it seems you simply cannot go wrong with the 3.0 R.

My 2 cents: I drove a 2.5 GT originally, and fell in love with it. For some reason the idea of the 3.0R never crossed my mind. One day, I decided to give it a shot. I drove one, and was blown away. It's smooth, sounds real nice, hugs the road better, and comes with 18 inch wheels!

I'm not a performance nut, and I don't ever plan to be. I commute to school 45 miles each way, 4 days a week, so simply put, the 3.0R is just a better car for me. That's not to say I don't absolutely love the thrill of the turbo, but for what I'm interested in, the 3.0 just makes more sense.

...Downside is no real tuning options (other than transplanting the 3.6l).

No tuning options?!? Whoa, let's go back to the old school.....Headers, COA, bigger injectors, throttle body spacers, bigger fuel pumps, water injection, porting and polishing, does anyone remember NoS? Maybe I'm the old guy here, but that's what we did when I was growing up. Sorry...my old juvenile side keeps popping out.

To the point of the OP, it would definitely appear that most 3.0r drivers like that they don't need to run super all the time, but still get to have some performance. With fuel here in CT at $3.50+ for 93, every dollar I save helps me justify my purchase. :cool:

No tuning options?!? Whoa, let's go back to the old school.....Headers, COA, bigger injectors, throttle body spacers, bigger fuel pumps, water injection, porting and polishing, does anyone remember NoS? Maybe I'm the old guy here, but that's what we did when I was growing up. Sorry...my old juvenile side keeps popping out.

To the point of the OP, it would definitely appear that most 3.0r drivers like that they don't need to run super all the time, but still get to have some performance. With fuel here in CT at $3.50+ for 93, every dollar I save helps me justify my purchase. :cool:

wow that's a lot of parts for not as much gain as the turbos get.

stage 1 = ap

stage 2 = ap with d/p...i count 2 parts

stage 3 = new turbo, pump, injectors, tune, tmic/fmic, full exhaust (some keep stock)

point? it's a hell of a lot easier to get power from the turbo.

Can we get a mod to close this thread? The turbo guys posting don't seem to understand the concept of the na 3.0 - so, mod, how about it? Thanks in advance!

it's only your own ignorance. read the title...see where it says OPINION???

i gave mine. don't like it? tough sugar free cookies.

want to mod? get a turbo.

18" wheels is nothing but a marketing ploy. what's the width again? 215?? oh right...same as my gt. i upgraded the tires with 650 on the odo. the suspension? sure there are differences but it works either way. i left my loony driving behind with my old protege 5. 2700lbs is very very easy to toss around. 3485? not soo much. the suspension does hang on for dear life with some good tires so i can't complain. the performance is there, feel could be better.

so, what am i missing? nav? wouldn't get it anyways...fwiw, my smart phone gets real time data not dvd based. and it's free. anything else? you have the exact tranny gears as i do. my brake pads are working great...done that yet? ddm xenons are working good. my a/p install went flawlessly.

what am i missing? i tell you what you are missing...a kick in the ass when the turbo goes full spool and the exact opposite but same pull when braking hard. bake pads are a must for any legacy gt/3.0.

anything you care to add opinion wise?

Can we get a mod to close this thread? The turbo guys posting don't seem to understand the concept of the na 3.0 - so, mod, how about it? Thanks in advance!

:rolleyes: How about you just unsubscribe?

Ah Richard B., you always have so much color to add to the threads. You do realize you lost a lot of credibility with that whole audiophile incident recently, right?

how??? because you guys have poor...ahem...very very poor hearing? i wouldn't say SRS is audiophile. i'm sorry you don't know what audiophile means. ever read Audiophile?

why don't you go crack open a soda and listen to your pos sony home stereo.

when you have listened to 60K$ speakers and been to several shops in different states...PLEASE let me know. afai am concerned...your audio "knowledge" is non-existant. so, you wanna try to prove how ignorant you are on audio? or do you want me to bust your sony loving ignant head again?

what say you?

i think it would best serve you to walk away with your tail tucked and consider this smack in the face as a learning tool.

oh, and good luck "tuning" the 3.0. my gf would wipe the smile off your face easily.

how??? because you guys have poor...ahem...very very poor hearing? i wouldn't say SRS is audiophile. i'm sorry you don't know what audiophile means. ever read Audiophile?

why don't you go crack open a soda and listen to your pos sony home stereo.

when you have listened to 60K$ speakers and been to several shops in different states...PLEASE let me know. afai am concerned...your audio "knowledge" is non-existant. so, you wanna try to prove how ignorant you are on audio? or do you want me to bust your sony loving ignant head again?

what say you?

i think it would best serve you to walk away with your tail tucked and consider this smack in the face as a learning tool.

oh, and good luck "tuning" the 3.0. my gf would wipe the smile off your face easily.

Quoted for posterity. This is good.

Quoted for posterity. This is good.

oooh noo...please don't report me for busting your head again. if i was scared i wouldn't have posted it or did you not figure that out before?

you remind me of a tattling little brother.

anyways...

please find a product here that has srs...

yes, i have physically been here and bought some Kimbers

http://www.speakerlab.com/products.htm

post any link to a store you have actually even visited...please...

me? i can post several several more.

you are pretty pathetic...must suck to be you.

what am i missing?

Not that it matters since the OP has left the scene (and who is to blame him reading this thread), but the answer is "Linear power application."

Before you make the claim that the 2.5T has higher peak torque, or even that it has appreciable torque at low rpm, understand that according to TDC Tuning, zero 2.5T 5EAT owners have ever done a stock run on their dyno, so no one really knows for sure. As far as I know this is the only 3.0 they've ever done, so here's a data point of one.

h6_dyno.jpg.e15d5a3b6fc9d12534047609c5d3a86a.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Not that it matters since the OP has left the scene (and who is to blame him reading this thread, but the answer is "Linear power application."

Before you make the claim that the 2.5T has higher peak torque, or even that it has appreciable torque at low rpm, understand that according to TDC Tuning, zero 2.5T 5EAT owners have ever done a stock run on their dyno, so no one really knows for sure. As far as I know this is the only 3.0 they've ever done, so here's a data point of one.

i like seeing it go up in the upper revs so don't get me wrong. i wanted tuning potential. i'm not even sure the 3.0r was out when i got my 07 in oct of 06. there is nothing that a new turbo can't solve. for me going from economical to this isn't too bad. i'm used to the turbo powerband.

i do find it silly that people buy the 2.5i and 3.0 and say what's a good power mod. the gt comes under rated the 3.0...not so much. stock...the gt pulls right to redline. outside of the n/a low end torque, i don't feel like i am missing anything.

Lol just because they dont have a 5eat on there dyno doesnt mean a 5eat has never been dynoed. Its also hard to make out what those numbers are on that dyno they are hard to read. The op was asking if the 3.0r is a nice car, which it is and a great DD, but why are you comapring performance between the 2, like i said earlier the GT blows the 3.0r away in perfromance. Maybe not too bad stock vs stock but as I stated earlier i have 100dollars in mods and i put 5-6 more cars on cars that i raced pre mods. And these arent 1 race compared to 1 race, i have raced these cars dozens of times and since they are both autos the results are the same everytime. Now after a tune and a gutted cat, i have raced my friends GTP atleast 10 more times and i put soo many more cars on them. You can talk about linear power all you want. The truth is if you wanted real power out of a 3.0r you would need forced induction and since it has a 10.7 to 1 comp ratio, you would need new pistons and heads to lower the comp ratio if you wanted to push any real kind of boost.

Archived