LegacyGT.com

Opinion's on 08 Legacy 3.0R

Has any mags or shows done any road test on the 3.0R ? I's love to find out what it does.
I never found one in the US.

Subaru Australia has performance data for all their models. This includes 2.5's, 2.5T, and 3.0R - both manual and automatic. In fact they have both a Spec.B 2.5T and a Spec.B 3.0R, in both manual and automatic. The specs of the cars are slightly different from here: different safety and emissions controls, different weight, they're Japan-built. Most notably, the final drive ratios are different from the US market, where lots of people care about 0-60 times and so the final drive is higher numerically.

Nonetheless, it's a guide. The 3.0R model, comparably equipped, is generally several tenths of a second slower to 100km/hr. For example, the Liberty Spec.B 2.5GT manual sedan does 0-100 in 6.5s and has a top speed of 246kmh. The Liberty Spec.B 3.0R sedan does it in 6.9s and has a top speed of 243 kmh. At 60mph (88 fps), 0.2 seconds is almost exactly a car length. Reading all these specs just made me want to move to Australia where you can buy just about any Subaru configuration you want!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading all these specs just made me want to move to Australia where you can buy just about any Subaru configuration you want!

Why not just bypass the whole "just about" and move to Japan where they get all the marvelous toys? :p

• 1 month later...
So if your criterion for purchasing the 3.0R was:

-Automatic Transmission

-Leather Interior

-Navigation

-Being able to use regular fuel (which isn't recommended on the 3.0R... even though you still use it on yours)

-18" Rims

-Nothing performance oriented

Then why didn't you purchase the 2.5i Limited and add Navigation (which we can do at the dealership) and 18" rims... this would have saved you tons of money and you would have gotten everything that you wanted.

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but you must realize there is more of a difference between the 2.5i Limited and 3.0R Limited than you're letting on.

I mean, come on, the difference is huge IMO.

2.5i Limited:

-Inferior 4-speed auto transmission

-Different, Active-AWD system

-Non-perforated leather seating (hot in the summer)

-No OEM Nav option

-No 18" wheels

-Slower steering ratio (3.2 turns lock to lock vs. 2.6 for the 3.0R)

-No Bilstein shocks

-No steering wheel-mounted audio controls or paddle shifters

-Different gauges

-No SI-Drive

....etc.

The 3.0R makes perfect sense for someone who isn't after racing/tracking their car and wants a fairly quick, luxurious, reliable and well-handling AWD sedan at a reasonable price. Think of a it as a budget A4 3.2 or 328xi, but with reliability. ;)

I would have given the 3.0 heavy consideration when I got my 07 LGT if they were around, as I was used to a V6 in my Acura. Having driven both I can see where both have their strong points. I do not plan on modding my engine as it is powerful enough and if that a 3.0 is comparable stock, I'd say get whichever one you think drives better to you.

I agree the 3.6l would be a great engine for the Legacy, but I wonder if it's too big to fit without modifications to the grille, hood and/or crash structure. I believe the 3.6l is also designed to run on regular unleaded without negative effectiving performance. FWIW, Subaru is working on a 6-speed auto for the upcoming diesel Legacy, so one could only surmise that they'll expand it to other Legacy models. Unfortunately, I doubt there is enough demand for the American market to justify the inclusion of a manual transmission option.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124553

Our only criticism of the Legacy Boxer Diesel has to do with the transmission. First, the shift lever is farther forward than before. But more important, the wide-ratio five-speed doesn't seem to make the best use of the wide power band, and surprisingly enough a six-speed would be a better match. Yamamoto admits that a six-speeder is under development and will be ready by the end of the year, together with an automatic version.

• 2 years later...
I just bought my Legacy on Saturday (11/13) Been following this forum for about a year and I am finally ready to start posting. I love my 08' 3.0R, Obsidian Black Pearl, one owner, 22k miles and my first Subie. I hope I got a good deal, I ended up getting it as a trade-in at a Toyota Dealership for $19,989, hard to get used to after driving a crappy car for 6 years, but I love every minute of it.

Archived