LegacyGT.com

Development study: JDM bezel conversion.

HighlineCA

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1961854&postcount=668

This was posted in their GB thread... No new development of any sort until they clear some other stuff up.

A little cryptic: With the between time, Erik will still venture into the JDM

bezel (long awaited I know..) and build 2.5i kits. Sorry LGT crowd.. we will

do our best in bringing the next wave of bezels that will fit everyones needs.

When he says "2.5i kit" I guess he means for manual cimate controls,

since the LGT (and the 2.5i Limited) have the "automatic" ?

I want to see a bezel for the cubby hole so I can put a screen there.

That's what I told them a long time ago but it sounded as if there wasn't enough of a need. Come on guys...rally! Let's get a nav bezel w/o buttons so we can install a screen!!!

There are plenty of those. Search. I'd help, but I'm lazy.

Plenty of those where? On this site? On othersites? Aftermarket or OEM? I have had a hell of a time finding them. I saw a JDM one for $300+ but that is it.

IIRC they don't fit right b/c of the LHD/RHD thing. It leaves some kind of gap or something.

Don't hold me to it but I'm pretty sure that was the issue

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

There are pics on here of people here that have done it and it looks great. Not my thing to spend time searching for though. g/l

dual zone climate changeover to the jdm piece?

all i've seen is the Highline fabbed stuff

dual zone climate changeover to the jdm piece?

all i've seen is the Highline fabbed stuff

no the nav bezel in teh cubby. I think some people took the spec b nav bezels thuogh & either cut out of filled in the holes or some shit. I dunno, I'm gonna shut up about this now. I'm not putting any work into my 05 unless someone comes up with a simple replacement for the head unit

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Rusty - LGT = Auto climate, 2.5i = manual, so yes you are correct. Being we will have limited time while building the show car, we have stopped LGT modifications as it is very time consuming. The 2.5i kits can be made in a day or so.

It was said, over and over, we will build it if you want it (cubby location). Its not simple to fab the bezel and bracket without the car here. We would much rather have the car and install/mod here, but obviously that wont work. Regardless, it can be had, with a price tag a little bit higher than the AVO (custom vs manufactured) (would be modeled in a test vehicle, so final fitment would be up to you).

tmilliard - Yes there is, but it only features a single din with pocket. We mod them into double din openings and package a whole kit for 2.5i owners; DD bezel, harness, antenna adaptor and shipping to you for $250.

whobaru is right, there are many that have custom fabbed theirs in or used the JDM piece, for the cubby location. Well before anyone cut the faceplate, many others were attacking the cubby location (Erik installed a DD in that location well before we opened this shop).

Levish - Hes talking about the cubby location and not the radio. There used to be a JDM piece that replaced the cubby and offered a double din fitment. Many others have custom fabbed theirs with the stock piece or Spec B nav piece as coxx has mentioned.

We hope to have that simple solution soon. We will see what happens :)

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

There are pics on here of people here that have done it and it looks great. Not my thing to spend time searching for though. g/l

Sure, it looks wonderful if you like gaping holes between your dash pieces:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/googalash/Car/DSC00989.jpg

Notice the big gap on the bottom right which would be WAY more noticeable head-on and also notice the bottom left corner, which is hard to tell, but it doesn't quite fit in all the way. The JDM pieces are a completely unacceptable (IMO) fit in a USDM car. The only piece that works well is the single DIN piece that replaces the cubby

Same with the bezel/hvac setup. They were specifically manufactured for a RHD, which has a slight angle towards their drivers. Hence the panel sits tweaked, with one side a bit in, and one side a bit out.

Eriks and others that modded the stock panel had much better results (whether cubby or nav panels). Although the labor is somewhat intensive, getting the bracketry right and alignment of the radio is a pain.

I wonder what it would look like to fill the center and cut out the DD opening..

Rich @ HCA

Rusty - LGT = Auto climate, 2.5i = manual, so yes you are correct. Being we will have limited time while building the show car, we have stopped LGT modifications as it is very time consuming. The 2.5i kits can be made in a day or so.

Actually, my car is 2.5i Limited, which means it has the auto climate

controls, just like the LGT if I understand correctly.

So, like most of us here, I await the conversion orginally menmtioned

in this thread. Sounds like that's gonna be awhile, because of the

show car ?

I think the better pics I've seen must have been a modified stocker.

I've seen the pics you speak of - yes, it was a modified nav bezel to eliminate the row of hard buttons and therefore allow for a larger screen. If Highline mass-produced these, I'd be a happy camper. Otherwise, may just go a simple route of installing a Parrot unit and have an extra button somewhere on the dash/console.

I think the better pics I've seen must have been a modified stocker.

You've probably seen fweasel's set-up, which is a well-modified stocker:

http://www.photodump.org/stored3/booya.JPG

Rusty - Ah then yes your limited would fall under LGT. Yanno, its hard to say what will become of this project. The time we thought we would have had early this year, turned out being a lot of work and a lot of issues internally. And now the show car. Its been one bumpy first year but we are certain we will get to every project in a reasonable amount of time.

tdoggy - Ill see what I can do about getting them produced for us. Although our primary focus will be the JDM bezel. I will have plenty of time during the Audi build to find a company that can manufacturer them to our pecifications. Will keep you updated.

fweasels cubby looks great. There is another floating around with a AVIC-Z1. And I want to say, someone was trying to put in a DNX8120 as well, but Im not sure who.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA