LegacyGT.com

Development study: JDM bezel conversion.

HighlineCA

subaruparts.com has the follow.. whats the difference

Instrument panel - Ducts - Center panel - W/o navigation sys. 64.59

Instrument panel - Ducts - Center panel - W/navigation sys. 73.96

does anyone know how big the opening is on the oem nav front panel in the normal "sunglass" holder

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spawn - Relocating like that is a possibility, but the cabling involved would have us worried for overall reliability. A few ideas were tossed around on different ways to outboard the hvac controller, leaving tons of space on the bezel for a double din and gauges. Relocationg into the center console is possible. It would start with someone local wanting it and having us develope the part. We relocate the hvac controller on older Audi's like that.

CT - If the bezel/hvac mod gets produced, at a reasonable price, we will no longer need the factory upgrade. Although it is still being looked at, we have found a few pre-amps that will do everything we want it to. If pricing on that unit is not considerably less than the hvac/bezel mod, it will not be built. Our next step is trying to get a new controller developed and much much smaller. Not only will we not have to cut the circuit board at all, the mod will be much smaller and not have any additional boxes to be installed. Essentially, our goal is to make it the size of the JDM hvac controller, for USDM cars.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Yes you are correct about the JDM piece. But we ARE NOT stopping the developement of the hvac/bezel mod and possibly continue on with the factory upgrade. With some of the ideas thrown around, the hvac/bezel mod will become a kit manufactured, instead of custom, hand built.

I'm sorry, Rich, but you have COMPLETELY lost me now; I am confused

about these different options. I want to be able to put in a standard

DIN head-unit, will settle for single-DIN. Don't want to pay $950.

I thought that's what the "JDM bezel conversion" was for. But there's

ANOTHER option you're still working on, which will provide this ?

We are trying our best. If you can help with development, please step forward and lend a hand. We are not engineerers by any means. I do not see us as failing, but definately learning more about an electronic component, noone knows about.

I am an electrical engineer, and have some time on my hands. But I

also live across the country from you. I'll help if I can.

If the bezel/hvac mod gets produced, at a reasonable price, we will no longer need the factory upgrade. Although it is still being looked at, we have found a few pre-amps that will do everything we want it to. If pricing on that unit is not considerably less than the hvac/bezel mod, it will not be built. Our next step is trying to get a new controller developed and much much smaller. Not only will we not have to cut the circuit board at all, the mod will be much smaller and not have any additional boxes to be installed. Essentially, our goal is to make it the size of the JDM hvac controller, for USDM cars.

Think of all the hope you have given me! :)

The dimensions I found are as follows:

Main Screen:

W = 5.981 inches

H = 3.370 inches

Diagonal (measured like a TV/Monitor) = 6.865 inches

Button Panel:

W = 5.446 inches

H = .568 inches

thanks.. i am looking to improve this... i cut new bezel and centered the nuvi but always am looking to go more stock look

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/eb50/IMG_2515.jpg

wait did I read that wrong or did you just say you are TRYING to develop something alone the lines of a brand new heat/AC control unit aka instead of the subaru heat/ac controls something else would be going there? THAT WOULD FREAKING AWESOME.

btw...can u post a picture of one of those audi's with the translocated HVAC units please. I mean my idea isn't fully though out but if you could theoretically just extend all the cables of the entire HVAC unit to locate it somewhere else then all ud need to theoretically do is remove the cd changer and slide the bugger in ur armrest lol.

thanks.. i am looking to improve this... i cut new bezel and centered the nuvi but always am looking to go more stock look

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/eb50/IMG_2515.jpg

two questions EB50 how do u turn the unit on/off? and how do u have the sound from it routed?

Rusty - Sorry for the confusion. We started with one mod: our own bezel/hvac mod. Since discovery of the JDM bezel, we tried to make it work in a USDM car. At the same time, we were also looking into adding a pre-amp into the factory headunit and eliminate the factory EQ curves (really want LGT owners want) and aid the section of users that didnt want to pay $950. Since we got limited results from the JDM bezel, and discontinuing our custom built bezel, we have switched gears to manufacturing of our bezel to heavily cut down on costs and labor. So, instead of offering a Factory Upgrade, a modded JDM bezel, or our own custom bezel, we are looking into having the whole mod manufactured.. possibly even by a well known aftermarket kit manufacturer :). Hope that makes sense. We can definately use your help, regardless where you are at. I will be in touch.

mrg - We are not going to hold to any timeframe. Hang on to hope.. we got a long road ahead of us.

eb - You can definately trim that out much tigher, giving a more integrated look. On top of that, you can sand that abs smooth, and Ill teach ya a little trick to polish the abs to that Japanese black look.

Spawn - Oh yes. With as much time needed to create our bezel/hvac mod, it was time for us to start looking into manufacturing. We are going back through our mod and working with a manufacturing company to bring our mod at a much more affordable price. I have various meetings in the next few months to pan things out.

We need LGT's help! We are looking for an AutoCAD genius. Give us a call!

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Rusty - Sorry for the confusion. We started with one mod: our own bezel/hvac mod. Since discovery of the JDM bezel, we tried to make it work in a USDM car. At the same time, we were also looking into adding a pre-amp into the factory headunit and eliminate the factory EQ curves (really want LGT owners want) and aid the section of users that didnt want to pay $950. Since we got limited results from the JDM bezel, and discontinuing our custom built bezel, we have switched gears to manufacturing of our bezel to heavily cut down on costs and labor. So, instead of offering a Factory Upgrade, a modded JDM bezel, or our own custom bezel, we are looking into having the whole mod manufactured.. possibly even by a well known aftermarket kit manufacturer :). Hope that makes sense. We can definately use your help, regardless where you are at. I will be in touch.

mrg - We are not going to hold to any timeframe. Hang on to hope.. we got a long road ahead of us.

eb - You can definately trim that out much tigher, giving a more integrated look. On top of that, you can sand that abs smooth, and Ill teach ya a little trick to polish the abs to that Japanese black look.

Spawn - Oh yes. With as much time needed to create our bezel/hvac mod, it was time for us to start looking into manufacturing. We are going back through our mod and working with a manufacturing company to bring our mod at a much more affordable price. I have various meetings in the next few months to pan things out.

We need LGT's help! We are looking for an AutoCAD genius. Give us a call!

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

if you ever need somebody to test out some units feel free to send something my way Id be glad to install it in my car and take it for a test.

I think you'd (Highline) score some major dough if you just offered a nav bezel w/o buttons. My opinon. Then we could all tap that Kenwood system with the new screen and replace our old nav units.

Agreed. If you could offer a turn-key (brackets, wiring harness, relocation for the info display and finished bezel) relatively inexpensive (compared to your HVAC mod) to mount a double din unit in the cubby space, you could sell quite a few. I could personally see spending ~ $300 for something like that. Some (like me) will still prefer to get rid of the stock system and are willing to pay the extra for the HVAC mod.

subaruparts.com has the follow.. whats the difference

Instrument panel - Ducts - Center panel - W/o navigation sys. 64.59

Instrument panel - Ducts - Center panel - W/navigation sys. 73.96

does anyone know how big the opening is on the oem nav front panel in the normal "sunglass" holder

its the one with nav.

The dimensions I found are as follows:

Main Screen:

W = 5.981 inches

H = 3.370 inches

Diagonal (measured like a TV/Monitor) = 6.865 inches

Button Panel:

W = 5.446 inches

H = .568 inches

it may not be perfect but thats what modifying is for..

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=903#3077

Here it is! See, in my mind, I'm thinking a shop could get one, modify the bezel to fit the Kenwood screen, then sell a packet of brackets, etc. needed to attach everything securely to the Legacy dash - done. No touching the center stack.

Edit: This is the only reason I haven't run out and purchased a simple Parrot unit for Bluetooth. Here's "hoping" Highline will jump on this...

theres a lot of problems with mounting screen behind the oem nav bezel. I have one sitting in my home office along with a bunch of screens and screen parts. In the garage I have the center stack support that you see behind the radio when you take it out.

The oem navigation screen does not actually mount to the navi bezel, it mounts to the center stack suppoirt and the bezel just trims it out.

you can easily buy a 7" screen and fab up mounts for yourself, if you can get the distance correct and figure out what to do with the button hole.

the problem you run into is most 7" screens are taller than the opening. The opening is something like 6.5x3.75 where most screens are 6.5x4. You may think thats just a tiny difference, and really it is, but if you are using a touchscreen you have a bigger issue in that you cant let the bezel touch the screen or get near toucing the screen or you risk blowing a fuse or burning out the controller.

You also have the issue of what to do abou tthe info center..

I have been working on this off and on for about 2.5 years. Its been mostly off but we have a few items in the mix that may help builders who want screens using the oem bezel. If we get farther along I'll start a thread on our findings. We wont be making something to sell, we'll just provide all the information and resources you need to have it done.

interesting that subaruparts.com has that part specifically listed. It tells me a lot of people want that part.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Probably since the screen itself is so small you would have to get the dimensions of the piece.

the problem with 7" screens is they have buttons that you need to use that may be blocked by the bezel. same with the auto dimmer. so you may never be able to turn it off or use the volume controls or get to a menu.

When I was looking for my screen I found that the cheaper the better, yea I lose a little quality, but its not a huge deal since I have another one.

as for putting a double din up there its a huuge pita to mount it and make it stable, it gets very hot in there, and you have to hack up a lot of the "guts" of your dash in order for it to fit.

Another opt is to uses alpines vehicle hub or a clean sweep with a screen and a added dvd player or something.

Edited by Repsak

^ what he said. I was actually using a VGA screen (Xenarc 700TSV) in my projects. It was a bit too tall but had no buttons that were required for the unit to function. It had a remote. :)

The "guts" you're hacking up actually supports the top front of the dash. The internal dash support is the black plastic you see when you take the cubby pocket out that has the 2 holes in it. It runs from the transmission hump to the dash just above the cubby. Its a pretty big piece. I wouldn't want to hack that up.

if I was at home and had nothing to do I'd take a picture of the piece I have and show you. heh, but I'm at work.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

two questions EB50 how do u turn the unit on/off? and how do u have the sound from it routed?

i have it hard wired, so it turns on and off with the car.

sound is through my cleansweep

• 2 months later...