LegacyGT.com

Get your oil filtration down to 2 microns

Should be fine. Got pics. Mine runs under the cross over pipe & don't touch at all.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0216081922.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0216081924.jpg

My next thing is to block off the air inllet hole at the botten of the air box. So it wont suck the heat off the dual filter manifold. I'm of drilling a hole the same size as the bottem in the side of the air box. Then run PVC piping down to the bottem of the inner fender cavity.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pics, figuered yours would suffice if anyone wanted any. I have the spt intake with a k&n filter and still have the snorkel attached. Air flow should be fine. I don't think the top of the plate would get too hot. Especially with the snorkel feeding cold air to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I noticed the bypass kit has changed to the BMK23 which has some slightly different adapters and twelve feet of hose. Was there much hose excess from the eight foot section? Also, is there adequate room at the location for the oil sampling petcock?

I noticed the bypass kit has changed to the BMK23 which has some slightly different adapters and twelve feet of hose. Was there much hose excess from the eight foot section? Also, is there adequate room at the location for the oil sampling petcock?

There was 19" of hose cut off both 8' hoses. A 12' hose is going to be a 1' short. Maybe you can run the hose a different way to make up the 1' .

There's room for the oil sampling petcock, but it will be tight.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

• 8 months later...

The smaller the dirt you can filter out of the oil, the less wear on the motor. Most off the shelf oil filter, filter down between 20 & 40 microns. Amsoil full-flow oil filter is 15 microns & Amsoil By-Pass oil filter is 2 microns.

This filtration system add 2qts. of oil to you motor. Which help keep the oil cool.

In short, the cooler & cleaner you keep your oil. The long your oil, motor & turbo will last.

Mike.

• 2 years later...

Been using it for 4yrs. & 114700 miles. With no oil filtration system failures. At 15k OCI using Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea filters. Went stage2+ at 174k & no shaft play on the original VF-40 turbo. Banjo filter bolts after 100k was clean. So I remove both filters from the two banjo bolts & reinstalled with new washers.

Mike

No, I only have 2 oil filters, 1 full flow, change every 15k & 1 By-pass, change every 30k. AMSOIL EaBP Filters have an efficiency of 98.7 percent at two microns. At normal operating RPMs the EaBP Filter will filter all of the oil in a typical five quart sump in less than 10 minutes.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eabp.aspx

Mike

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere but what was the cost of the total system and the cost for an oil change with filter?

The system as changed sense I bought mine 4 yrs. ago. Total cost for me, around $250 (tax, shipping, extra short 90deg. fitting & hose.)

Oil change cost around $125 for 15k OCI (7 qts. of oil, 2 oil filters; 1 full flow; change every OCI, 1 By-pass; change every other OCI, 2-4 extra qts. oil do to oil consumption.

Mike

• Mega Users

Mike, would you recommend 0w-30 w/o SSO and Ea filters w/o the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI?

It would be perfect to get the car to drink about a quart between that OCI. Maybe adjust OCI a little?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

No, because I have no real world experience with any other 0w30 motor oils.

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 140k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

This is what I have told Max Capacity & others. That wanted or thinking about running Extends Drain Intervals.

If your not going to run Extends Drain Intervals. (IMO at least 7.5k) Them IMO you can use cheaper oil & filter to protect up to Subaru's 3750 OCI.

What you do is up to you, at your own risk. If you do Extends Drain Intervals (at least 7.5k) I would do your OA's at your current OCI. Up to you plan on changing you oil & filter. For the 1st oil change. After you AO's come back "Good for Continuous Use" up to whatever OCI you decide, under 15K. Then all you have to do is to watch for oil usage. Remember that Amsoil only Recommends extended drain intervals with their oils. If use with their EA oil filters one is available.

Mike

I believe he's running this.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx

I run this in my Spec B

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users

i understand doing my OAs is important. assuming they are similar to yours, I feel like w/o the bypass, running ams 0w30 SSO /w Ea filters and 7-8k OCI would probably be ok.

but then again, I need to do the OAs to really be sure. If you could confirm, you recommend doing one at 3750, and again at 7500 intervals?

thanks,

kevin

you are confusing me mike

:rolleyes::spin::spin:;)

YOU; paintpollz Mike, would you recommend 0w-30 w/o SSO and Ea filters w/o the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI?

Did I misunderstand you. You wanted my recommend 0w-30 without SSO ( not running, Signature Series Oil. Amsoil top self oil) and Ea filters without running the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI?

I replied; No, because I have no real world experience with any other 0w30 motor oils. Answer to other 0w-30 oils

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 140k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI. Answer to Ea filters without running the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI?

This is what I have told Max Capacity & others. That wanted or thinking about running Extends Drain Intervals.

If your not going to run Extends Drain Intervals. (IMO at least 7.5k) Them IMO you can use cheaper oil & filter to protect up to Subaru's 3750 OCI.

What you do is up to you, at your own risk. If you do Extends Drain Intervals (at least 7.5k) I would do your OA's at your current OCI. Up to you plan on changing you oil & filter. For the 1st oil change. After you AO's come back "Good for Continuous Use" up to whatever OCI you decide, under 15K. Then all you have to do is to watch for oil usage. Remember that Amsoil only Recommends extended drain intervals with their oils. If use with their EA oil filters one is available.

Mike _______________________________________________________

It would be perfect to get the car to drink about a quart between that OCI. Maybe adjust OCI a little?

i understand doing my OAs is important. assuming they are similar to yours, I feel like w/o the bypass, running ams 0w30 SSO /w Ea filters and 7-8k OCI would probably be ok.

but then again, I need to do the OAs to really be sure. If you could confirm, you recommend doing one at 3750, and again at 7500 intervals?

thanks,

kevin

Yes, that's why I told you about my G|F's 05 WRX.

Every car is a different. Do OA's for your car.

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil (0w-30, SSO)& OCI,(15k) but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 140k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Did I help clear up your confusion on what I typed?

Mike

• Mega Users

OMG! My bad! I put an extra "w/o" before the "SSO" in there on mistake!

Sorry mike. Everything is clear now.

i meant Mike, "would you recommend 0w-30 SSO and Ea filters w/o the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI"