LegacyGT.com

Get your oil filtration down to 2 microns

Also, I believe that it is important to note that what works well in a particular application doesn't always work well in another application. Here's a 7k+ mile OCI on SSO from an STI. The oil actually held up well for the conditions but it's not an ideal oil for this interval and this application. This is also posted in the UOA forum at bobistheoilguy.

And be careful when running extended intervals based on one or two random uoa samples (or even more). paintpollz - Amsoil does not recommend any of their oils for over 3,750 miles for your application. Running a bypass system is a different ballgame entirely!

-Dennis

Edited by bluesubie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! My bad! I put an extra "w/o" before the "SSO" in there on mistake!

Sorry mike. Everything is clear now.

i meant Mike, "would you recommend 0w-30 SSO and Ea filters w/o the bypass? Year around, In my location, at 6-8k OCI"

:) FYI if you didn't know Amsoil SSO comes in OEM grade now (5w-30) & others. http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Mega Users

:lol:

Also, I believe that it is important to note that what works well in a particular application doesn't always work well in another application. Here's a 7k+ mile OCI on SSO from an STI. The oil actually held up well for the conditions but it's not an ideal oil for this interval and this application. This is also posted in the UOA forum at bobistheoilguy.

And be careful when running extended intervals based on one or two random uoa samples (or even more). paintpollz - Amsoil does not recommend any of their oils for over 3,750 miles for your application. Running a bypass system is a different ballgame entirely!

-Dennis

thanks dennis. as soon as mike comes to CT to help me install the bypass system, I'll gladly run 15k OCI:lol:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Oil history from day1:

New. SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. oil & filter change till 30k, Mobil1, 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ Fram oil

filter every 3000 miles.

Amsoil 0w-30 SSO and Amsoil Ea oil filter, Ea15k13 oil filter at 30k-73k .

At 73K, my filtration I use.http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-your-oil-filtration-down-2-microns-81741.html My oil system now is 7qt. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

Most off the shelf oil filter, filter down between 20 & 40 microns. Amsoil full-flow oil filter is 15 microns & Amsoil By-Pass oil filter is 2 microns.

This filtration system add 2qts. of oil to you motor. Which help keep the oil cooler.

My GT mileage; over 314k

My G\F's 05 WRX (Totaled) use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 150k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

My 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2.0L DI turbo charge motor, Same oil & OCI, but No Ea filter is available. I use a WIX filter. Change oil filter only every 5k. At 91k, Amsoil now as Ea-oil filter. No oil consummation over it's 15k OCI. GXP as almost 149k.

In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use oil & filter that will protect for the OCI your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN
Update mileage

• 7 months later...

THREAD BUMP

Time for an 8 month update? Or do you want to do yearly? :)

Thanks for the informative thread. Would love to see mileage updates for each 25K milestone if you're up to it?

Too bad no one with a stg 3 car is doing this and has a thread on this. My guess is that it might not make a difference though since the pistons and ring lands are always what seems to break most of the time with larger turbos.

I usually update mileage every 5k -10k: Here, I edit my last post on 9-13-2012 for mileage on all 3 cars.

-or- http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-4th-gen-legacy-todayi-volume-2-191775.html

-or- http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-most-miles-their-lgt-and-they-holding-up-over-27680.html

Or all 3.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

• 9 months later...

Hi HD (Mike), thanks to you I just recently went with this on my Spec.B.

IMG_20130703_183820.thumb.jpg.c52b20e03b7b4253ffbf7fe9b596100a.jpg

I just installed the BMK23-EA Dual Remote w/Bypass, and BK298-EA (spin on filter adapter) at 54,280. Using EAO15EA Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter, and the EABP90EA Absolute Efficiency By-Pass Oil Filter. Running 6.5 quarts of the Amsoil Series 3000 Synthetic HD 5w30 Oil (Car and Diesel approved).

IMG_20130703_184026.thumb.jpg.3f5f7b3e0cab7148abc86e243c21ac50.jpg

I also changed over to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w/90 in the trans and diffs. I'm running Cobb AP Stg. 2 93 OTS map. Planning Stg. 3 upgrades soon.

Edited by 510Finn
Add a few pics.

• Moderators

Tempted to do this. EDIT: nevermind, found the cost details.

bluesubie, if the drain area is clean, why no samples from there (assuming fumoto is installed, otherwise yeah that would be messy)?

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yeah, it's less messy but it's probably a little more accurate and less chance of contamination, IMO (dirty fumoto).

Hammer Down's intervals are 15k so there's no sense in getting underneath the car unless you just want to check things out. And even with a fumoto, you should always drain a bit of oil before sticking the sample bottle into the oil stream. With the oil sample pump, you only lose the amount of oil that fits into the bottle (6 or 8 oz). Edit: Actually this is probably only 4 oz or so.

OAI Testing:

Sampling Methods

1. The component sampled should be brought to operating temperature prior to sampling. This will assure that the insoluble and semi-soluble material is suspended evenly throughout the system. Samples taken from components that have been inactive for long periods are not representative.

2. Sample should always be taken in the same manner and from the same point.

3. Do not sample a component directly after an oil change or after a large amount of makeup oil has been added.

4. Use a clean, dry, unbreakable container. Never reuse containers or sampling tubing.

Oil Drain Method

Clean the area around the drain plug thoroughly to avoid sample contamination.
Allow oil to drain for three to five seconds prior to catching a sample.
Place a clean, dry sample bottle in the oil stream and fill to within 1/2 inch of the top. Seal bottle tightly. Wipe bottle clean.

Blackstone

Run the engine before you take the sample to get the oil at operating temperature (driving about 20 minutes should do it). Getting the oil up to operating temperature should help cook out any normal moisture or fuel build-up.
  1. If you're taking your sample while changing the oil, let some oil drain before you fill up the bottle. Try not to get either the first or the last oil out of the pan.
    I
    f you can't access the pan and need to use a pump, thread the tube down the dipstick and pump a sample up into the sampling bottle.

2. We need 3 oz to complete all our tests. But even if you only have 1 oz, we can still do at least two, if not three, of our tests. If you have questions about whether we'll be able to work with your sample, call us.

-Dennis

Edited by bluesubie
added sampling info

Tempted to do this. EDIT: nevermind, found the cost details.

bluesubie, if the drain area is clean, why no samples from there (assuming fumoto is installed, otherwise yeah that would be messy)?

So you'll spend $X on bringing an OBXT up to par, but won't spend $400 making it last longer?

• Moderators
So you'll spend $X on bringing an OBXT up to par, but won't spend $400 making it last longer?

That reads slightly odd. I had a comment in there asking how much it costs, then I read the thread and found it. I changed the comment to indicate I don't need someone to tell me how much it costs--that clearer?

It should be pretty obvious by now that I don't have too much of an issue spending money on the car, lol. This project for me would be a larger investment of time vs money. I'm usually able to buy parts, but I'm often short on the available time required to install them :spin: and for the most part I refuse to have a shop to so many several things due to trust issues and the fact that my budget lies somewhere in between being able to afford parts but not being able to pay someone to install them ;)

There is also a huge "is this really necessary" factor with this. MY OCIs are typically under 3k miles with full synthetic...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That reads slightly odd. I had a comment in there asking how much it costs, then I read the thread and found it. I changed the comment to indicate I don't need someone to tell me how much it costs--that clearer?

It should be pretty obvious by now that I don't have too much of an issue spending money on the car, lol. This project for me would be a larger investment of time vs money. I'm usually able to buy parts, but I'm often short on the available time required to install them :spin: and for the most part I refuse to have a shop to so many several things due to trust issues and the fact that my budget lies somewhere in between being able to afford parts but not being able to pay someone to install them ;)

There is also a huge "is this really necessary" factor with this. MY OCIs are typically under 3k miles with full synthetic...

Gotcha. If you're only doing 3k OCIs with full synthetic, this "mod" is not for you. Mike (not you) is a dead ringer for this as he drives about a bazillion miles/yr and doesn't have the time to keep changing his oil every week at the rate he drives.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Sorry to bring this back after almost 5 years.. I looked at amsoil's page today, and all the existing kits (bmk23, bmk30), etc all say "partial flow". I didn't see ANY "full flow" kits left?? Or did I misread this? Plus, bmk13 doesn't seem to exist anymore?

Amsoil link to BMK23-EA VVVV

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/by-pass/filters-and-mounts/universal-dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Ea Bypass Oil Filter (EaBP) provides the best possible filtration protection against wear and oil degradation. Working in conjunction with the engine's full-flow oil filter, the AMSOIL Ea Bypass Filter operates by filtering oil on a "partial-flow" basis. It draws approximately 10 percent of the oil pump's capacity at any one time and traps the extremely small, wear-causing contaminants that full-flow filters can't remove. The AMSOIL Ea Bypass Filter typically filters all the oil in the system several times an hour, so the engine continuously receives analytically clean oil.

IIRC, oil filter thread size. 20mm x 1.5

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
This looks like a lot of money and effort for what? Subaru engines have been running over 200kmiles for decades with the factory oiling. What is the purpose of this other than to extend the life of bearing surfaces? Is this so you can run no air filter or an aftermarket air filter that flows more and filters less? Did you delete your regular oil filter? I have so many questions

I can't speak for others, but I'm planning a project where I want to record the best driving roads North America has to offer. Time will tell whether this comes to fruition, but any one of these trips can exceed 3,000 miles. I'd rather not have to worry about oil changes while I'm on the road. Given that Blackstone Labs recommended me bumping my OCI to 5,000 miles, and I've since added a Killer B Oil Pan, a bypass filter is likely overkill anyway, but I would endeavor to guess that 95% of the mods done for our cars are overkill as well. No one needs these mods, but we all dork out over performance. The performance I dork out over is longevity as I intend for Bessie to be a "forever" car.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I will give it to you, this is nice. Coming from an Amsoil Dealer that service many GTR, Porsche, track cars ad so many other customers, there is really no need. I have access to all the dual filter kits and by pass kits and with the EAO filter already doing 20 microns your just fine.

I have tested the 25k and 15k filters on all of my subies. I will will not sell something I do not use or believe in. I have ran oil changes for 20k miles many times to test this Amsoil and filters past there prime and my cars have not had one issue

I am not going to tell anyone else to do this but i had to test to make sure my customers were safe. If you think their oil is great, rn it front to back in your car. Coolant they have is great.