LegacyGT.com

any 5eat's running a big turbo w/o vb?

hammerhead

You know, I get that you have experience. But there are others of us who also have experience with motor cars and enjoy doing whatever we please with our LGT's.

Put your words in first person and speak for yourself. I for one do not find your position speaks for me.

I HAVE autocrossed my LGT, for a year and a half. I will take it to the drag strip. After nearly 3 and 1/2 years of beating the piss out of it the transmission broke. I brake torqued it to 3500 many times. It was on the dyno twice and recorded over 270whp. I made HUNDREDS of logging runs learning tuning, and just having fun, for 58,000 miles. Is it any WONDER the 5EAT finally seccumbed after adding a 44lb turbo and doing the same old same old only with 23lbs boost? I think not.

Doesn't sound like such a POS to me.

Whatever. My car is STILL a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT 5EAT. But catch me on the street and you not find it timid, afraid to launch :lol::lol:.

mine went at 10k miles and never launched

:hide:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i Pmd you this... losing your tranny at 10k could have been a faulty transmission from the start.. i don't believe it is indicative of all 5EATs, just like AKLGTs is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think the stock tranny reliability is somewhere between your two examples.... I don't believe it is nearly as weak as you keep harping on. Yes, your particular 5EAT failed very early and dramatically, but clearly, there are plenty that have not.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

As far as being combative, you're certainly playing up that part. once again, YOUR 5EAT failed early and dramatically. Once again, it doesn't mean they're all like yours.

I may not drive my car as hard as AK, but i do drive it damn hard. I didn't mod it to putz around lightly. Tranny is still functioning fine. Am i out of the ordinary? Possibly. This tranny does have some 58K miles on it though, almost all at stage 2 and beyond.

You seem to be trying to find reasons to not do a VB upgrade. no one is forcing you. You keep citing examples of cars that have failed with the VB upgrade, but we still dont' know who you're talking about. Wukindada's/Acooper/Hutruo1's car can't be used because we don't yet know what happened with the "rebuilt" tranny. XleezardX has chimed in with his opinion as well, and the end opinion of the VB is favorable.

But hey, if your prerogative is to claim more knowledge than the rest of us about the 5eat(and i'm not disputing this), and based on that believe that the VB mod is worthless, then dont' do it. The rest of us will continue to enjoy our modified 5EATs that are still functioning properly. I don't have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of our tranny, but I do have experience with and without the VB mod, and I personally suggest the mod.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

funny as in you must be right and try to fit everyone in a little box (your box) when it's obvious they don't. ;) But that's ok, because if everyone agreed with everyone, this would be a very boring forum! if everyone had the exact same experiences as each other, again... BORING!

Besides, it's good to see the extremes and figure out most people are somewhere in between. I know I've been lucky with my LGT, given the hard useage it's gone through, the fact that I still LOVE driving it and am sad (but excited) to get the new car. I'd be much more excited if the new car had the upcoming DSG box. ;) oh well... that will be the next new car. :lol:

the LGT is the longest I've ever owned a car in my name. That speaks for itself imo. I love my 5EAT, glad I went with it over the 5MT, even if it does cost me a little more to get to the same power levels. It's been a great car for me, no real problems that weren't brought on by myself. I'd certainly recommend the LGT to anyone who asks, in fact my best friend bought one after I let her drive mine around all day a couple years ago.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Bottom line is this.......

I truly had a stout stock tranny but I'll say this, I did baby the vehicle @ launch. Tranny fluids were changed every 15k & the tranny cooler was installed before the car was @ 5k. I really never got on the car till it hit 3500rpm.

@ no time did I ever have a issue with my tranny but when it decided to go it went in a BIG way......

If you are going to upgrade the turbo def. do the VB upgrade. If your goal is 400whp+ you will most likely need a built tranny not just the VB.

Again mine was one of those "factory freaks" I truly belive that now. As Iamboon had basically the same setup I did & his tranny went out 6-8 months earlier than mine did & I was pushing about 50 more whp than he was during that time.

As far as I know he & Chirocoach are the highest whp 5EAT's there are. Boon is putting down 460-480whp & Chiro is the beast of all 5EATS @ 485-495whp

Good luck man & remember there is NO cheap reliable way to make a 5EAT truly fast

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Some of these comments make me think I am looking at a Nasioc thread.

When is Boon or anybody going to hit low 12's in the 5eat?

I remember booster20 ran a miracle 12.89 running a ton of boost on the vf40. Other than that I have not seen a post of 1/4 mile times in 12's.

i have over $9k invested, i'm so scared............ let me get my skirt

then why are you crying about a $600??

and big whoop. so do i. :rolleyes: at least mine's been to the track to enjoy that $$$$ I put into it and the new owner will be there too. ready with a wrench and spare tranny if he blows it up. :lol:

Some of these comments make me think I am looking at a Nasioc thread.

When is Boon or anybody going to hit low 12's in the 5eat?

I remember booster20 ran a miracle 12.89 running a ton of boost on the vf40. Other than that I have not seen a post of 1/4 mile times in 12's.

what are you talking about. I got plenty of posts..... :lol:

Bottom line is this.......

I truly had a stout stock tranny but I'll say this, I did baby the vehicle @ launch. Tranny fluids were changed every 15k & the tranny cooler was installed before the car was @ 5k. I really never got on the car till it hit 3500rpm.

@ no time did I ever have a issue with my tranny but when it decided to go it went in a BIG way......

If you are going to upgrade the turbo def. do the VB upgrade. If your goal is 400whp+ you will most likely need a built tranny not just the VB.

Again mine was one of those "factory freaks" I truly belive that now. As Iamboon had basically the same setup I did & his tranny went out 6-8 months earlier than mine did & I was pushing about 50 more whp than he was during that time.

As far as I know he & Chirocoach are the highest whp 5EAT's there are. Boon is putting down 460-480whp & Chiro is the beast of all 5EATS @ 485-495whp

Good luck man & remember there is NO cheap reliable way to make a 5EAT truly fast

+11111111 billionzillion!

but regardless of $$$$ spent, it's still a helluva fun car to drive! :D

what are you talking about. I got plenty of posts..... :lol:

Low 12's :redface:

I had a brain fart and forgot about your car:p. But you know what I mean not many people have posted up 1/4 times especially not the 5eat crowd.

Yeah it is crazy you can hit 12.8-12.9 with just a vf39 and there are other 5eat legacy' with 20g's+ they should be able to run at least a 12.5 in the quarter.

Never had the opportunity with mine. The closest 1/4 mile for me is just over 1.5hrs away:(:(

Would def. hit low 12's on the 93oct tune maybe even lower on the 100tune;)

Remember I ran once @ the local 1/8th track with a very soft launch and had a best of 7.91 @ just over 92mph

No doubt Boon has a solid 11sec car,

when it is running;):eek::lol::lol::lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Low 12's :redface:

I had a brain fart and forgot about your car:p. But you know what I mean not many people have posted up 1/4 times especially not the 5eat crowd.

Yeah it is crazy you can hit 12.8-12.9 with just a vf39 and there are other 5eat legacy' with 20g's+ they should be able to run at least a 12.5 in the quarter.

well, if I could get the car running on a night at 45 deg temps here, I'm pretty sure it'll get to 12.7's. Definitely with a crosspipe. however, now that I'm selling the car and ordering my new STI next month, I don't want to run it at the track just in case. :(

there is a "race war" in June with the local scene and I really am tempted to take her down for one LAST run. I just would hate to blow up the tranny. :( the new owner will be running his 600+ hp 2500HD truck. last year it ran 13's so this year we think it'll be 12's for sure. Thing is a beast! he's built and tuned it himself. so we'll see what I decide to do as it gets closer.

Archived