LegacyGT.com

any 5eat's running a big turbo w/o vb?

hammerhead

i'm not sold on this vb upgrade. i see owners who have the vb upgrade destroying thier 5eats as well. i feel the vb gives owners a false sense of security, which leads to more abuse. the 5.6l titan puts out 379 ftlb. here's a good pdf of the tranny http://home.att.net/~woodprojects/04_Titan_Armada.pdf. i know you allknow this info. but i can't see spending $1k for a shift kit. i'm sure that many will say it's added insurance, but it seems members are killing the trannies any way. i would like to see who has a larger turbo w/o the vb and how many miles with that set-up. as i've posted b4, my tranny went BOOM at stage 2. and i never even launched the car. Titan guys say it's the best tranny they ever had :spin:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a ton of miles pre-vb upgrade at 345whp, and a ton after...

the VB costs $695 of insurance, does it give false insurance? sure.

how many VB equipped 5EATs have died besides Hutro1's? His tranny was improperly installed from what we can tell.

There are several VB equpiped 5eats with bigger turbo upgrades running around fine. AKLGT, WaveRunner, myself. Wukindada had no VB upgrade before the tranny went, same with Seeya.

Any other VB equipped ones that toasted themselves? Once you drive it with the VB upgrade, you'll wish you always had it. Sharper, crisper shifts lead to less clutch pak wear. is it perfect? No, not at all.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Why are you so against the VB upgrade, btw?
i can't get past it's a shifter kit for $700. plus, my tranny was warrantied. my friend/dealer said "you put the vb in, you're on your own if the tranny goes." the fact that other cars can have line pressure increased with hand held tuner etc. i need to get over it, i know. but i feel if the car isn't launched the tranny will hold 300-350 ftlbs fine

VB--what do you plan on doing with your EAT once you get the bigger turbo? Troll? If you plan on doing any hard lauches, autocross blah blah blah...then by all means get the VB. Really what you would be doing is providing better performance for your car. Which you already know. I agree VB does give a little bit of false security. Statistically you could say that with bigger power the VB could save your tranny.

If you start smart, conservative and don't go off tellin the world that you have a family sedan or wagon with 320+ AWHP by cuttin off the line everytime, then get a $300 tranny cooler. You will be fine with that

AKLGT was one of the first few with getting her VB upgrade, she has an STi swap, her biggest complaint pre VB was high torque hitting a sloppy tranny and experiencing some slipping. She is very happy with her decision from what I have gathered.

Remember, VB upgrade will NOT fix, save or protect your tranny...it will make it perform better with harder shifts, especially on that low end torque. If a tranny wants to blow, it will blow. Period.

i have a cooler. did that mod 3rd day of ownership. i also feel AKLGT shouldn't be used as reference, cuz she is or was the extreme example of abusing her car.

I wouldn't say AK abuses her car....she drives it....like she stole it. The tranny cooler is a great investment, I think you will be fine with a Stg III setup with just that.

maybe abuse is or isn't the wrong word. she tracks the car a lot more than the average member. i was the first usdm 4eat wrx to post 11 sec runs on nasioc. long before Jorge did. a lot of time and $ went into that bugeye. put 140k miles on the car before i sold it. that 4eat was bullet proof, oh well can't live in the past. i'm just going for a highway cruiser now. i'm just lookking for a little data thats all. it just seems that the 5eat left in stock form, may become the glass tranny of subaru.

just do it your self, it's easy. i have a custom way i mount'em. i dont believe in using the straps through the radiator. i've seen cars bust rad. tubes cuz of the straps. take the grill out and mount on the cross beam that the hood latch is bolted on. modify brackets to size and use latch bolts to mount. clean and no risk of rad. damage

I have 2 just to be paranoid... the hayden was my first one from over a year ago, the second one I added out of paranoia, and after buying the trucool, it is constructed much more nicely than the hayden. A bit pricier, but both do the job. The trucool has the cold fluid bypass, which may be a plus for some. I liked it since I was using it as my secondary tranny cooler after the Hayden.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Ah... okay... it is easy to install, but if you're not a DIY type, then yeah, installation costs add to it... how much is Rallitek's Tranny cooler?

Mike

You know I searched the website for a tranny cooler listed and I couldn't find it at the Legacy link or the Impreza link. I got a quote once $300-$400 installed.

Archived