LegacyGT.com

any 5eat's running a big turbo w/o vb?

hammerhead

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 2 just to be paranoid... the hayden was my first one from over a year ago, the second one I added out of paranoia, and after buying the trucool, it is constructed much more nicely than the hayden. A bit pricier, but both do the job. The trucool has the cold fluid bypass, which may be a plus for some. I liked it since I was using it as my secondary tranny cooler after the Hayden.

Mike

Care to share the part # for the Trucool unit? This is on my list of things to do.

right. so because I actually TRACK my car with a somewhat (and I mean SLIGHTLY) larger turbo than stock, installed the VB (out of necessity) somehow means that it won't get more power to the ground as well as imo prolong the life of the tranny? So, my experiences after running this VB for over a year plus one extremely busy track season of autox and drag, a 6,000 mile drive to PDX and back, that my car somehow is just a freak? I'm not putting nearly as much power as Mike, waverunner, iamboon, or hutru (Wuki's old LGT).

SeeeeeYa and Wuki (hutru's now) LGT trans blew before the VB. Hutru is still waiting on IPT (as of yesterday) to even confirm the other shop installed the modded VB. Regardless, they installed a used up trans, not the rebuild they claimed, so that won't matter anyways. and FYI, I do not drive my car hard during daily driving. On the contrary, I drive like a grandma until I get to the track.

I've seen people up here blow their STOCK 5EATs doing brodies in the snow, no mods what so ever. I don't really believe there is any one thing you can do to prevent detonation, or any fail safe that will work. The VB mod makes the car run better, gets you the power to the ground and faster, clean shifts so the gears don't grind down as quickly. Interestingly enough, Jarrad from PDX while road tuning and dyno tuning commented on how well the car shifts and responds with the VB mod.

Sure, it's not cheap, but it's cheaper than a new tranny.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

AKLGT was one of the first few with getting her VB upgrade, she has an STi swap, her biggest complaint pre VB was high torque hitting a sloppy tranny and experiencing some slipping. She is very happy with her decision from what I have gathered.

Remember, VB upgrade will NOT fix, save or protect your tranny...it will make it perform better with harder shifts, especially on that low end torque. If a tranny wants to blow, it will blow. Period.

^^^agreed...I was wondering when you were going to chime in...however, if one is not planning on having a busy track season...then would they benefit from a VB from IPT? I think I was saying that "she drives it like she stole it" meaning your drive your car harder, more frequently than most of us do. I believe your VB was an absolut necesity. For "Joe Schmo" trolling and hitting it every once in a while to remind that 18 year old in his Dad's M3 who's boss, then...no VB.

well, imo, it seems like a giant waste of money to do all the mods and turbo swap and NOT get the most out of it. The VB helps get your power to the wheels and shift quickly. Even in everyday driving it's significantly different. no sloppy shifts and waiting for the car to react. BTW, I leave it in Drive, not even Sport shift. Only time I'm using Sport or manual mode is at the track. All other times, it's granny Drive for me.

To me, it's like slapping on a bunch of parts and then not tuning the car or getting ECM. it's not cheap, but neither is an accessport, which is a necessity. the VB should be a necessity if you plan on doing more to your car than a turboback.

a vb IN NO WAY helps put power to the ground. you said yourself that during track season you were going every weekend and autox.. how many members are on this forum? only a handfull track the car. it's a shift kit, it will not prolong the life of the tranny. do a torque convert upgrade and then we'll talk about prolonging the tranny. you're talking about m/s in improved shifting. the clutch packs are not wearing out due to the stock vb. they're wearing out do to power braking. i also feel people are confusing slow shifts with the dbw system. people are saying that the tranny is hanging up etc. it's my own opinion that some members have never owned a dbw car b4 and they think it's the tranny hanging up. i had a 500 +whp 4eat bugeye with a TRP stroked 2.2l closed deck motor with a T66. believe me i.ve been around a track once or twice

a vb IN NO WAY helps put power to the ground. you said yourself that during track season you were going every weekend and autox.. how many members are on this forum? only a handfull track the car. it's a shift kit, it will not prolong the life of the tranny. do a torque convert upgrade and then we'll talk about prolonging the tranny. you're talking about m/s in improved shifting. the clutch packs are not wearing out due to the stock vb. they're wearing out do to power braking. i also feel people are confusing slow shifts with the dbw system. people are saying that the tranny is hanging up etc. it's my own opinion that some members have never owned a dbw car b4 and they think it's the tranny hanging up. i had a 500 +whp 4eat bugeye with a TRP stroked 2.2l closed deck motor with a T66. believe me i.ve been around a track once or twice

Clutch pak wear is predicatd on what? Heat and friction. That's why launches can chew up clutch paks. Slow shifting can do the same. The longer the shift delay, the more time slipping, and the more heat created. Prolonged long-delay shifts causes excess wear, no?

the VB mod makes a dramatic and supremely noticeable shift time reduction, both the "delay" and the actual time shifting. Yes, i haven't had my tranny slip, yet, but the VB should definately help extend the life of the clutch paks.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

here's my problem with IPT. i asked if they touch the TCM. they said no. the servo's which controll the solenoids that IPT changes, can only be adjusted via TCM. the clutch packs are controlled by the servo's as well. the jatco tcm puts the tranny into a fail-safe mode for numerous situations. the fail-safe only lets the tranny operate in 2nd, 4th and 5th gear. this is usually confused as "SLIP" the TCM must adjusted to get the full benefit of a vb job. i went to an ATRA seminar on the jatco RE5R05A, just so i couls learn more about the tranny.

Clutch pak wear is predicatd on what? Heat and friction. That's why launches can chew up clutch paks. Slow shifting can do the same. The longer the shift delay, the more time slipping, and the more heat created. Prolonged long-delay shifts causes excess wear, no?

the VB mod makes a dramatic and supremely noticeable shift time reduction, both the "delay" and the actual time shifting. Yes, i haven't had my tranny slip, yet, but the VB should definately help extend the life of the clutch paks.

Mike

+1000000

yes, in many ways it DOES help prolong the life of the tranny. Mine was slipping and not going into gear. quite noticeable, so much that my techs told me I had to replace my tranny if we couldn't figure out a way to clean up the shifts. I did a lot of research trying to find a way to do so, tuning was not going to resolve it and until someone suggested I look at the VB and solenoids, I had no clue what the VB did. After discussing with a few of the members who had already done this (there were only 2 or 3), spoke to Ty on the phone at IPT, I felt comfortable enough to give it a try. Glad I did. I believe Jerseyglock was there at IPT when my VB arrived and they got a good look at the clutchpacks at the time. Ty gave me a thumbs up that they appeared to be in good shape so the VB upgrade would/should do the trick. Thankfully, they got it perfect the first shot.

two thumbs up to IPT, they were dead on. over one year later, car runs like a champ, even with the track season it went through. And no, it wasn't every weekend... SCCA runs one event per month from the end of April through mid September. Some events were over 2 days (weekend) while others were only one. We missed 2 events due to traveling and going out of town. I took the car to the drag strip on opening day (Mother's Day), and then on out once a month on average. I own a business and have two retail stores so I cannot afford the time to live at the track every day. :rolleyes: If you'd like, I can get you the schedule..... it certainly was not every weekend.

And again, obviously if the VB is holding up as well as it has on what I was told before the VB, a doomed tranny, imagine how well it would run on a non-slipping tranny before all the brutal wear and tear.

if you don't want to do a VB in your car, then don't. It's your car and your money. But as SeeeeYa has already experienced and hutru01 now, it eventually will wear on the 5EAT. it just isn't made for large power/torque like the stock MT's seem to hold. It's unfortunate, but quite true.

also, the 4EAT is not the same as the 5EAT. It seems the 4EAT handles power a little better than the 5EAT. I was told by our local subie techs/gods before I even started modding the car, the 5EAT is considered "made of glass."

+1000000

yes, in many ways it DOES help prolong the life of the tranny. Mine was slipping and not going into gear. quite noticeable, so much that my techs told me I had to replace my tranny if we couldn't figure out a way to clean up the shifts. I did a lot of research trying to find a way to do so, tuning was not going to resolve it and until someone suggested I look at the VB and solenoids, I had no clue what the VB did. After discussing with a few of the members who had already done this (there were only 2 or 3), spoke to Ty on the phone at IPT, I felt comfortable enough to give it a try. Glad I did. I believe Jerseyglock was there at IPT when my VB arrived and they got a good look at the clutchpacks at the time. Ty gave me a thumbs up that they appeared to be in good shape so the VB upgrade would/should do the trick. Thankfully, they got it perfect the first shot.

two thumbs up to IPT, they were dead on. over one year later, car runs like a champ, even with the track season it went through. And no, it wasn't every weekend... SCCA runs one event per month from the end of April through mid September. Some events were over 2 days (weekend) while others were only one. We missed 2 events due to traveling and going out of town. I took the car to the drag strip on opening day (Mother's Day), and then on out once a month on average. I own a business and have two retail stores so I cannot afford the time to live at the track every day. :rolleyes: If you'd like, I can get you the schedule..... it certainly was not every weekend.

And again, obviously if the VB is holding up as well as it has on what I was told before the VB, a doomed tranny, imagine how well it would run on a non-slipping tranny before all the brutal wear and tear.

if you don't want to do a VB in your car, then don't. It's your car and your money. But as SeeeeYa has already experienced and hutru01 now, it eventually will wear on the 5EAT. it just isn't made for large power/torque like the stock MT's seem to hold. It's unfortunate, but quite true.

the clutch packs are NOT part of the vb

right. i don't know crap about my car... :rolleyes: I do know the difference between slipping and just slow shifts. when the car doesn't shift into 2nd and you can almost HEAR it grind, than I'd say that's a tell tale sign it's slipping. why else would I have 2 of the most trained techs on modded subies call me to tell me that "we gotta do something or that sumabitch gonna blow up."

Also when I spoke to IPT, they told me it was unnecessary for me to do the TCM with the power levels I was running. the immediate need was to get the car to quick slipping and firm up the shifts to alleviate the grind. Good thing my techs caught it in time.

by no means do I think my tranny is indestructible due to the VB. Hell no. I'm not an idiot. I'm around cars enough to know that NOTHING is indestructible, especially transmissions. In fact, to be honest, I'm rather surprised that mine has lasted as long as it has given the fact that I did track it more than most. I was prepared to cross that bridge if it came, already spoke to IPT about sending in my tranny should the need arise. I had the money set aside with their name on it. I'm hoping that I won't need to do that especially now that I'm selling the car. The new owner is my tech who built this car from the ground up. He's well aware of my tracking the car, being that he's the one who usually finds what's wrong when he takes it out for a "drive" and also the one who taught me how to launch my car in the first place. Until then, I did not launch the car hard, I'd torque brake to maybe 2000 rpms. He had me hold it til the car was at 18psi boost, assured me that it should not go boom. This was in July.... he built me a custom downpipe and when we took it to the track the next week, boom! I'm in 12's. I took the car to the drag strip 2 times after that, and autox 2 times afterwards as well.

here's a pic of what was shipped: Unfortunately I cannot find the schematics of the part numbers. oh sorry, I just confirmed with my service advisor husband and called my tech to verify that yes, those ARE the clutch packs that are indeed attached to the Valvebody and solenoids, that I wasn't just imagining it. I'm sure I can get my hands on the schematics soon... ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG0582.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG0583.jpg

i dont mean to come across as combative. i know what a vb looks like. i've changed my own. you had stated that when you shipped your vb to IPT, they told you the clutch packs were ok. the clutch packs are not part of the vb. and if the gears were grinding the vb wouldn't save them. solenoid 1 controlls line pressure, as well as pilot valve A and pilot valve B. the pressure created by those valves go to the servo. the servo can only be adjusted via TCM. with out the TCM being touched you will not get the full benefit. this maybe why xleezardk was so unhappy with his vb upgrade.

and the thing is, IPT doesnt need tto change the solenoids on the vb, just increase the amperage on the soleniods to increase line pressure. i don't understand why cobb or some1 else hasn't taken care of this for us

maybe because they don't want to mess with the tranny? It seems that everyone is afraid to really touch the 5EAT tranny. no matter, in a few months, the car won't even be mine anymore and I will be in a different Subie.

however, that DSG box they are talking about.... mmmmmmmm!

and combative? well, yes, you are. you pretty much call me out and wonder why i disagree with you? I'm not the only one, but you seem to know all there is to know about 5EATs, so carry on. 3 yrs of ownership that is coming to a close in a few months. So i really don't care what you think. I know what's worked for me and what I've been happy with. That's the only thing I can really give my insight to anyone on these boards. I'm privileged enough to have some great techs and people close to me that really know what they're doing as well as practically a "personal" tech who can do just about anything (except work on an auto tranny!).

i didn't call you out. you were referenced by another member. i said you shouldn't be the "example" because you're not the "norm" when it comes to 5eat's. you've had good luck when it comes to the tranny. i wouldn't call this an argument either. you don't work on your car! all your technical info is second hand. the subaru tech's know nothing about the 4eat or 5eat cuz SOA replaces the tranny as 1 unit and doeasn't allow rebuilds of the auto's. the a/t are sent back to soa to be rebuilt by in-house tech's. i don't think i know everything about the 5eat, but who else spent the time and $ to go to a seminar on the jatco re5r05a beside's me?

well you are special than. ;)

and no, i don't work on my car ANY MORE. I don't have the time. Otherwise, though I may not be working on it myself, I'm right there with the wrenches in my hand getting dirty. :rolleyes:

In fact, the turbo swap was done by myself and a few other local NASIOC members. my tech went over everything we did to make sure it was done correctly.

Medium is back on after the writers strike, so gotta go. have a good night fellas.

well you are special than. ;)

and no, i don't work on my car ANY MORE. I don't have the time. Otherwise, though I may not be working on it myself, I'm right there with the wrenches in my hand getting dirty. :rolleyes:

In fact, the turbo swap was done by myself and a few other local NASIOC members. my tech went over everything we did to make sure it was done correctly.

special-ed maybe ;)

Archived