LegacyGT.com

any 5eat's running a big turbo w/o vb?

hammerhead

and the thing is, IPT doesnt need tto change the solenoids on the vb, just increase the amperage on the soleniods to increase line pressure. i don't understand why cobb or some1 else hasn't taken care of this for us

You should be the spokesman for that. Talk to Cobb or IPT, I am still a little weary of the VB upgrade. I know it helps tremendously but at around $800-$1000 installed it is quite steep. Considering you can get a slightly used tranny for what $1800- $2000. You are telling me the VB upgrade cost half if not more of a slightly used transmission.:spin:

Like you said I think increasing the amperage on the soleniods to increase line pressure is more effective in terms of performance, reliability, and most likely cost compared to the VB upgrade.

On another note I think I would rather save that 1000 dollars and put it towards the STI DSG Swap sometime down the road :) If it manages to perform in the long-run.......

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
most handheld tuners can change the amperage for the vb solenoids. an example is the SCT for mustangs. all electronic adjustments can be made by the tuner. best chance for us is that some comes up with a solution for the Nissan market. that way we can latch on

most handheld tuners can change the amperage for the vb solenoids. an example is the SCT for mustangs. all electronic adjustments can be made by the tuner. best chance for us is that some comes up with a solution for the Nissan market. that way we can latch on

i went down this road over a year ago. That was the first step. seeing if we could tune for it. We called Cobb to see if the street tuner software could adjust this, however we found out no. :( My tech tunes his own cars and wanted to tune mine. That was the very first suggestion. We figured we could buy the software and get to it. Guess the 5EAT solenoids aren't so easy to tap into. go figure!

oh well....

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

you would need a seperate tuner for the TCM, that's why it's not worth while. if it's gonna happen it will be in the Nissan/Ifiniti world first. i have the amperage readings for all 7 solenoids, but i'm no computer wiz. most of the domestic cars trannies are controlled by the ecu, so it's easier to adjust the tranny.

If you want a truly capable tranny, u gotta spend the money and go through IPT.

Thats what I am doing. It is costing me 5000 dollars but I will be able to push the 400 horses that my turbo is capable of. Suby tranny's aren't made to push much over 325-350 whp. You gotta pay to play.

If you want a truly capable tranny, u gotta spend the money and go through IPT.

Thats what I am doing. It is costing me 5000 dollars but I will be able to push the 400 horses that my turbo is capable of. Suby tranny's aren't made to push much over 325-350 whp. You gotta pay to play.

problem is the 5eat is not Fuji Industries tranny. the suby 4eat is bullet proof with a cooler and pro torque converter. Rigoli used the stock 4eat with a cooler and TC upgrade to get him into the 10's. he uses a beefed up 4eat to rins 7's now

problem is the 5eat is not Fuji Industries tranny. the suby 4eat is bullet proof with a cooler and pro torque converter. Rigoli used the stock 4eat with a cooler and TC upgrade to get him into the 10's. he uses a beefed up 4eat to rins 7's now

4EAT is NOT the same or even close to the same as our 5EAT. They don't have a manual shift mode.

besides, IF/WHEN subaru brings a true DSG box, than it's a moot point anyways. ;) who wouldn't want a dual clutch system that can handle the power stock???? :D

Do you think the tq converter could help our 5eat's more than the VB upgrade? From a Reliability and Performance stand point.

i tried getting Ecutek to touch the subject, since i'm very friendly with Ben. He said the return would not be worth the investment
'

Wouldn't it be worth the investment because, legacy, 350z, g35's, and Titans could all utilize it....

Do you think the tq converter could help our 5eat's more than the VB upgrade? From a Reliability and Performance stand point.

An upgraded torque converter will help you do two things, get your car from 0-60 faster....... and into the shop broken faster :lol:.

Dance around it all you want to, you do not have the option of a 4EAT, a Turbohydramatic400, a DSG or TCU programming. If you want performance and reliability with more power than stock you have few choices. I chose IPT.

My debating about it is over.

4EAT is NOT the same or even close to the same as our 5EAT. They don't have a manual shift mode.

besides, IF/WHEN subaru brings a true DSG box, than it's a moot point anyways. ;) who wouldn't want a dual clutch system that can handle the power stock???? :D

the point was SUBARU doesn't make the 5eat. the A/T that SUBARU makes is a stong unit.

the whole unit just is weak. just don't launch the car and stay up on service. change the rear diff every 3 oil changes and the atf every 5, if you're gonna drive hard. if your plan is to autox or drag, sell your car :lol:

VB 5EAT right here still with no problems and I am happy with it. The only reason why I wasnt happy with it at first was because I was expecting too much. I can definitly feel it better now @ stage 1.

well you could've at least posted that you're happy now, i wouldn't have referenced you :lol:

the whole unit just is weak. just don't launch the car and stay up on service. change the rear diff every 3 oil changes and the atf every 5, if you're gonna drive hard. if your plan is to autox or drag, sell your car :lol:

you don't have to go that far. 2 yrs of autox and drag in my LGT and i would be keeping it if it had rear fold down seats. no go on the 05/06 models. i love my 5EAT.

You know, I get that you have experience. But there are others of us who also have experience with motor cars and enjoy doing whatever we please with our LGT's.

Put your words in first person and speak for yourself. I for one do not find your position speaks for me.

I HAVE autocrossed my LGT, for a year and a half. I will take it to the drag strip. After nearly 3 and 1/2 years of beating the piss out of it the transmission broke. I brake torqued it to 3500 many times. It was on the dyno twice and recorded over 270whp. I made HUNDREDS of logging runs learning tuning, and just having fun, for 58,000 miles. Is it any WONDER the 5EAT finally seccumbed after adding a 44lb turbo and doing the same old same old only with 23lbs boost? I think not.

Doesn't sound like such a POS to me.

Whatever. My car is STILL a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT 5EAT. But catch me on the street and you will not find it timid, afraid to launch :lol::lol:.

Archived