LegacyGT.com

LGT or Mazdaspeed6?

This is my first Subie. I'm from zoom-zoom land originally... still own a Mazda6, in fact.

I've always been a huge fan of the Mazdaspeed6. In fact, I was quite close to trading in my normal Mazda6 for a speed6 last year. Spousal interference, however, derailed the whole thing.

I'm slowly starting to like my Subie and am now thinking that I'd rather go for an LGT over a speed6.

Just wanted to start a discussion on this topic to see where it leads. Might turn out to be a good conversation.

In favour of the speed6... its got more HP (274 vs 250) and I personally think it looks more aggressive. My wife prefers the interior on the Mazda6/speed6 over the subie. Plus, the sound system sounds better in the 6 IMHO.

In favour of the LGT... its got a better AWD system and stock suspension is better than the stock suspension on the speed6.

However, the speed6 suspension can be upgraded quite easily.

Thoughts?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome....the Mazda has been discussed through and through....here are a few links to get an idea of what LGTer's say.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39066&highlight=mazda

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69918&highlight=mazda

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45168&highlight=mazda

Well here is something to consider, the torque on the LGT is more and more apparent, the LGT is faster in a straightline and on turns, i thought about a speed 6 when i got my car aswell and everytime i drove a speed 6 and then a LGT the speed 6 felt weaker. The trq is what sold me on the LGT. Plus every artical i read comparing the 2 they always talk how the trq on the Subie blows the speed 6 out of the water. I agree

I test drove both and chose the LGT because the AWD is better and the price and insurance were both cheaper for me. I think the 'Speed6 has better suspension than the stock LGT, but I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. The LGT is more mod friendly, and I've heard the 'Speed 6 has problems with heat soak.

It is not an easy choice though. I hope you end up being happy with what you get. Legacy STi would be hot!

The LGT is more mod friendly, and I've heard the 'Speed 6 has problems with heat soak.quote]

i all most got the speed6 but i didnt like there awd that fwd bias and the fact that the intercooler sits on top of the motor. now thats dumb. the lgt isnt in a good spot either but at least its not on top of the motor

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

The Legacy STI is a rip off, the spec b handles just as good and its rated at 260hp instead of 250. A legacy tuned by Sti with goodies would be hot

:confused:is it a rip off or is it hot? me no understand.

never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

In favour of the speed6... its got more HP (274 vs 250)

Keep in mind, when Maz rated that engine, they rated it on 93 Octane. If you can't get that kinda juice in your area, your HP will be something 'less than' 274.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

The Legacy STI is a rip off, the spec b handles just as good and its rated at 260hp instead of 250. A legacy tuned by Sti with goodies would be hot

I'd maybe learn a bit more, first.

The Australian Liberty Tuned by STI has things that the Spec B, both there and here, doesn't.

Brembo brakes

Forged BBS/STI wheels

STI performance cat-back, or at least axle-back exhaust.

STI springs, and other suspension bits.

Special colors.

Black headliner, along with all the interior options.

So it is a bit more than a Spec B. And a very quick engine tune will push the engine above those power ratings, even for stage 1.

I was refering to the Legacy STI they were releasing Vs a Legacy tuned By STI. The legacy STI that only 500 or so wil lbe sold isnt gonna have anything about stock legacy engine wise other than a different tune. Hp set at around 260-270 not enough of an increase to make me drool, now a legacy tuned by STI can have all of STIs goodies.

The Mazda does look more aggressive and I also prefer its interior.

They Legacy certainly has the better all-wheel drive system, and will more than likely be the better choice for the long term for reliability.

I've also never heard of a Mazdaspeed 6 winning a race with a Legacy GT. Can anyone confirm this? I think the performance numbers for the Legacy are a little better, regardless of the 6's higher horsepower rating.

Its true, the Speed6 is slower on straights and i felt a good amount of body roll when i drove a friends, i have also raced him and i took him by a car or 2, and what you have to remember is i have a 5EAT and he is stick and a damn good driver.

Well when you think about it i have seen stock legacys make 210-220awhp that equals 260-270 at the crank our cars are somewhat underrated. Also its not all about hp we have trq and believe me when you drive the 2 cars the legacy puts you in your seat more than the MS6. Also the AWD is always a winning factor

Its true, the Speed6 is slower on straights and i felt a good amount of body roll when i drove a friends, i have also raced him and i took him by a car or 2, and what you have to remember is i have a 5EAT and he is stick and a damn good driver.

dunno why some owners then are reporting 13's stock with slips.

Archived