LegacyGT.com

What should i expect from a Protune?

collegemt

I recently went stage 2 with a cobb stage 2 map and a perrin catted D/P. I am going in for a pro-tune on thursday 2-14 at Mac Autosports. Its gonna cost me $325.

The reason i am getting a protune so early, is because the results from stage 2 wern't what i expected. The car still stutters under low rpm WOT (not bad just a jerk or two sometimes), also i feel first gear just doesn't hit that hard and it doesn't pull that hard up to redline.

Should a protune fix these problems or am i expecting too much?

Anything i should do prior to the protune, besides bring the car and the AP?

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Will never pull hard to redline, stock turbo just can't do it. It will hit harder and sooner and be smoother while doing it, at least that's what I noticed. Actual peak gains in torque and HP might not be huge, but you will feel the difference, I did.

Oil should be fresh and at the proper level, as well as all other fluids.

Before i was driving a legacy 2.5i, slow. But i have driven many fast cars my dads porsche in HS and recently his 2003 Z06, i know i can;t match the Z06 but i just thought the jump from stage 0 to stage 2 would have been bigger, Maybe since i have an 08 the gains arn't that big yet compared to the 05/06 guys.

Before i was driving a legacy 2.5i, slow. But i have driven many fast cars my dads porsche in HS and recently his 2003 Z06, i know i can;t match the Z06 but i just thought the jump from stage 0 to stage 2 would have been bigger, Maybe since i have an 08 the gains arn't that big yet compared to the 05/06 guys.

I don't think we're gonna see that much more power out of cobb OTS S2 mapping for the 07/08s

i didnt feel a lot of power increase even in the 05.

the car feels a little lighter and theres slightly more pull at higher speeds, but if you went sequentially from stg1 to stg2 ur looking at 20 crank hp differences each time.. it's hard to tell.

you really have to compare it to another car or something to appreciate the change.

i have an 05 so these are just my experiences. not exactly sure what the power increase looks like for the 07/08s with the CAN

car for sale. PM me!

I recently went stage 2 with a cobb stage 2 map and a perrin catted D/P. I am going in for a pro-tune on thursday 2-14 at Mac Autosports. Its gonna cost me $325.

The reason i am getting a protune so early, is because the results from stage 2 wern't what i expected. The car still stutters under low rpm WOT (not bad just a jerk or two sometimes), also i feel first gear just doesn't hit that hard and it doesn't pull that hard up to redline.

Should a protune fix these problems or am i expecting too much?

Anything i should do prior to the protune, besides bring the car and the AP?

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Depends on if they have figured out how the factory boost control settings work yet. If they have it should make more power and be smoother. I've retuned a lot of their protunes and utec cars that we've switched to accessports lately and all of the customers have been much happier. I'm not trying to badmouth anyone else- just saying that experience matters when it comes to this stuff. Check it out and see if you can find a successful protune dyno graph anywhere online from them. I haven't seen one yet. Good luck man. Oh and dynojet dynos with a full CF up here are grossly overinflated. Make sure to get a stage 2 graph and a protune graph so you can see what was really gained.

Cobb's existing maps for the CAN cars are pretty freaking bad. There are much better new ones coming soon (I know the tuner developing them). Hopefully your tuner is familiar with the strategies of the CAN ECU's, because they are very different than those of the previous years. If they really know what they are doing there are some great gains to be had. If they aren't experienced with the CAN ECU, then they can end up doing more harm than good.

a catless turboback perrin tmic and cai protune makes it a very fun car to drive. I thoroughly enjoyed it for 2 years. Then went bigger :lol:

He's going to need to go bigger, I can tell already and he has only been on the board a short time. ;) He has officially been bitten boys.

collegemt, start saving for a turbo:). A VF 40 conversion is your cheapest route. Bolts right in, makes 19 psi relatively quick. With a good IC and a tune you will notice a nice thrill to 6000rpm compared to stock.

BUT, as I have probably said ten times already, I wish I went bigger. (and will eventually)

He's going to need to go bigger, I can tell already and he has only been on the board a short time. ;) He has officially been bitten boys.

collegemt, start saving for a turbo:). A VF 40 conversion is your cheapest route. Bolts right in, makes 19 psi relatively quick. With a good IC and a tune you will notice a nice thrill to 6000rpm compared to stock.

BUT, as I have probably said ten times already, I wish I went bigger. (and will eventually)

I think you are most likely right. However i am going to need to make this work for atleast a year. The wife wont let me spend another grand or two for a bigger turbo.

But seriously i read the threads saying "be careful modding is addictive". It is definetly true. I can think of plenty of things i would like to keep doing to my car, too bad everything isn't free.

if you go beyond a certain turbo things get more than a grand. just a fair warning.

anything bigger than an 18g u'll need an FMIC (on pump). anything bigger than stock and youll need a larger TMIC. then theres fuel etc etc.

if you really want to save money, steer clear of the turbo forum

car for sale. PM me!

I wouldn't go to Mac, Super-Rupair and Revolutions are the only 2 places that I would go in Colorado. If you insist on going to MAC because its conveniently located in the city I would make sure to data log your car after the tune. My buddy who got his 03 wrx with sti swap dynoed at MAC a while ago, maybe a year or so, he thought they did a good job(good hp/tq numbers) till he datalogged and found out his ride was pulling timing all over the place... He put good numbers down but his ride wasn't going to be running well for long... Also there's a local member on here named enthusiast, he went there to get his lgt protuned, he said he would not return, pm him if you want his opinion on Mac.... As stated earlier in this thread when going with a tuner, you want someone who is very experienced with your type of car. Super-Rupair and Revolutions have a good reputation on here with the lgt, with that in mind I wouldn't even think of being a pioneer and trying out a different tuner when you know there area already two good ones within a reasonable distance, my .02. Either way good luck with the protune...

If it was me, I would not get a protune on a 07/08 LGT. Let the tuner learn on someone else's car.

The Cobb OTS maps aren't good either. Some overboost and some don't. They all seem to have really low timing.

I think 07/08 LGTs will make more power after the dust settles and people figure out how to tune them.

So you think i should wait on the protune until they learn more so i can get more bang for my buck? Do you think cobb will update their maps so i can get more power for free? At mac autosports they told me they have tuned 5 07/08 LGT's, is that not enough?

Maybe i will spen my $325 on something else for the car and do a protune in 6 months.

Cancelled the appointment with MAC autosports, i think i am going to wait on a protune until everyone has had more time tuning the 08's. I would rather be patient instead of rushing into a pro-tune and having it not be safe or the reults no be that great.

I really appreaciate everyone's input. If it wern't for you guys i would have probably just gotten the pro-tune and may have been dissapointed.

Thanks,

Adam

If it was me, I would not get a protune on a 07/08 LGT. Let the tuner learn on someone else's car.

The Cobb OTS maps aren't good either. Some overboost and some don't. They all seem to have really low timing.

I think 07/08 LGTs will make more power after the dust settles and people figure out how to tune them.

cobb doesn't want them to blow up like those 07 stis were

I think now is a good time to put your short shifter in, sway bars, maybe alittle tint on the 07/08 :)

Wait till you get to around 36-50k miles and then start the tuning...by then, it might actually be a science on these CAN cars :)

But don't listen to me, I'm just jaded because I don't have one yet :)

Joe

I think now is a good time to put your short shifter in, sway bars, maybe alittle tint on the 07/08 :)

Wait till you get to around 36-50k miles and then start the tuning...by then, it might actually be a science on these CAN cars :)

But don't listen to me, I'm just jaded because I don't have one yet :)

Joe

That sounds like a pretty good idea. i was thinking some sways and brake pads. I allready got the tint but would really like a JDM grill, as soon as ones availible.

If I wind up getting an LGT in the next few months, I'm definitely going to do a complete "break-in" (read 30k miles) before looking into the tuning options.

Even then, I might consider doing some very flexible options FIRST to leave my options open down the line.

I.e. Instead of tuning right away, open up the exhaust in a way that's conducive to down-the-road tuning options.

But I think sway bars and a STS, along with tint, possibly a grille, and a lip spoiler will use up any possible spouse-approved funds for awhile. Of course, it's going to be her car so God help us if she gets the tuning bug.

Joe

Archived