LegacyGT.com

Clutch is gone... What are my options???

mschmidt

Well, the LGT is at 42K and been at stage 2 for about 10K. The clutch is starting to slip so I'm going to remove the AP and take it in on Friday to see if they will cover it. I did think ahead and complaing about it a few times prior to 36K so maybe I will get lucky if I complain more. I don't feel like removing the UP/DP so it may be a hard sell.

Let's say they are going to try and stick me with the $1,500 repair... What other options do I have? Last time I did some research the best option seemed to be an ACT clutch and WRX flywheel.

This is a daily driver, but I like to drive "spirited" every once in awhile. Doesn't happen too often anymore with a 19month old and a preganant wife! Let me know guys!

Mike

Let's say they are going to try and stick me with the $1,500 repair... What other options do I have? Last time I did some research the best option seemed to be an ACT clutch and WRX flywheel.

ACT HD clutch + 06 OEM WRX Fly here. No issue. Drives like stock. Holds like a mutha (stage 2+). If you have a Subaru Master Card and have Subie Bucks (or purchase them here...usually $75 on the $100) you can purchase everything from some online vendors which are dealerships like "thekingofparts". Or if you get the clutch from your installer they may knock some off the install....mine did. Your looking at about $1200 installed. 550 clutch + 200 fly + 450 install.

thanks guys... I planned on playing the dumb card saying the DP was there when I bought it used. I just don't have much time right now. Do you really think they can use the DP against me? I doubt they will see the UP.

if you have stock parts i would revert to stock and try to get it covered. dont know what the chances are tho.

Hey **** you! You pay to play but thanks to ***holes like you my car cost me more than it should have. No go back in your hole you *****

Spec also makes a nice set up. I've had mine in for 15,000 miles. Check out Specs web site. I have there flywheel and 2+ clutch.

There are a number threads about this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine started slipping a little at 36K and lasted until 40K. Good luck with warranty since the clutch isn't covered as it is a wear item. I went with the SPEC Stage2 and LWFW. So far so good. I'm at 4K miles and the pedal feels like stock, all the chatter is gone and the release is smooth as stock now too. Hooks up great and hasn't slipped at all yet. I listed the HP levels for all the different stages in a review thread.

Here is a link to it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78095&highlight=spec+clutch

Let's kick this pig!

Clutch is covered to 36000 they will replace once. Mine started slipping at 39k so no go on warranty. +1000 on the ACT clutch and OEM wrx flywheel what a great setup 1-2 shifts feel like you could rip the diffs out.

cost me about $1100 + - a few

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

My opinion might differ from those already posted, but if your looking for a stock feel then you'll have to stay stock. Their is no substitute for a dual mass flywheel. My lwfw and hd act setup becomes a chore in stop in go traffic with it wanting to either grab too hard or slip too much. I'm having throw out bearing issues and I'm just going to ditch it all for a stock setup. I might sounds crazy but hard launches isn't worth the drawbacks or the risk of destroying my transmission.

Hey **** you! You pay to play but thanks to ***holes like you my car cost me more than it should have. No go back in your hole you *****

like subaru hasn't screwed others before. how do you know the clutch wouldnt have went on a stock setup.

its easy to talk shit on the internet isnt it? i'll bet you've never talked to anyone like that in peron.

like subaru hasn't screwed others before. how do you know the clutch wouldnt have went on a stock setup.

ok :lol::lol:

its easy to talk shit on the internet isnt it? i'll bet you've never talked to anyone like that in peron.

You might want to hedge that bet ;)

Or you can get teh SPEC Clutch and stay with a Stock FW.

sure if you want to spend $450 for a flywheel, yes that is an option.

Honestly with the OEM WRX FLY + ACT HD and two months of driving I can't tell it isn't the same as the day I drove it off the Subaru lot when I first bought the car.

OK, OEM WRX flywheel seems to be a good way to go for me... As for the clutch, I don't plan on going past stage II and do put about 20K per year on my car with some stop and go traffic. I want something that can handle the power and that will not die on me in two years. Though, I would also like to maintain most of the stock drivability...

Sounds like Act HD would be perfect, since you want 30% more torque capacity than you actually produce....330 x 1.3 = 429....so sounds like the ACT has ~ just enough reserve torque capacity to reliably handle the Stage II output.

Am I wrong?

This thread was great....WRX flywheel and ACT HD sounds like a great solution for those who just want to go stage II, want a reliable clutch and a slightly better than stock flywheel with stock driveability...

IIRC, the WRX flywheel is a single mass design that's only a few pounds lighter than the stock dual-mass LGT flywheel, right? Does it spin up faster?

Joe

sure if you want to spend $450 for a flywheel, yes that is an option.

Honestly with the OEM WRX FLY + ACT HD and two months of driving I can't tell it isn't the same as the day I drove it off the Subaru lot when I first bought the car.

He wanted options so I gave him one since he wanted the stock feel.

You can also get a SPEC clutch and SPEC FW. ACT is not the only aftermarket company that makes a clutch/FW for our car.

Archived