LegacyGT.com

Clutch is gone... What are my options???

mschmidt

Sounds like Act HD would be perfect, since you want 30% more torque capacity than you actually produce....330 x 1.3 = 429....so sounds like the ACT has ~ just enough reserve torque capacity to reliably handle the Stage II output.

Am I wrong?

This thread was great....WRX flywheel and ACT HD sounds like a great solution for those who just want to go stage II, want a reliable clutch and a slightly better than stock flywheel with stock driveability...

IIRC, the WRX flywheel is a single mass design that's only a few pounds lighter than the stock dual-mass LGT flywheel, right? Does it spin up faster?

Joe

^ dats why i got it.

the WRX OEM fly is roughly 4lbs. lighter. initially yes you can tell a little quicker rev'n, but you get used to it in no time and then you can't tell anymore.

He wanted options so I gave him one since he wanted the stock feel.

You can also get a SPEC clutch and SPEC FW. ACT is not the only aftermarket company that makes a clutch/FW for our car.

Yes, thank you. And I supplied info about the cost difference as that's also a factor. :rolleyes:

I'm using the force on you right now.....:eek:

"This isn't the clutch your looking for."

:lol::jedi:

Yes, thank you. And I supplied info about the cost difference as that's also a factor. :rolleyes:

I'm using the force on you right now.....:eek:

"This isn't the clutch your looking for."

:lol::jedi:

Why are you so much against SPEC? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SPEC setup for our cars. I have personally used both SPEC and ACT clutches in previous cars and both worked great and both companies stand behind their products 100%

I've heard numerous horror stories with Spec clutches as well, enough that I went out and bought an ACT 6-puck and ACT LWFW. The combo cost me $677 from one of the vendors here and it's going in next week. Labor is estimated at $250 - $300. Granted, I'm at Stg III so I can't stay stock really.

There are likely dozens of good stories about the Spec units but I've done my research. The few issues with them was enough to convince me to go with ACT.

:cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I've heard and read plenty of issues about spec clutches.

One of the reputable vendors on here convinced me not to get a spec clutch and I am happy with the ACT setup.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Guy at work got a spec 2.5 clutch + OEM fly sure it works fine, once they sent him the correct one! His car was at the performance shop for 3+ weeks while spec got their "act" :lol: together. Plus the kicker was even though they f'd up and sent the wrong part....they would not overnight or 2-day him a new one. They would only send it regular mail. Come on.

If you go with Spec get it from a good vendor like thekingofparts or something.

I've read about ACT clutches since my thunderbird days....I've read about SPEC clutches since my Subaru days. But I'm still seeing ACT everywhere. The only complaints I've ever heard about ACT have been related to installation (i.e. chatter, which is almost always installation or hard-core product related) or just not a good match to the car. SPEC I've read a few negative things about the product itself.

Just my personal insight into reading on here and elsewhere, no personal experience.

Joe

I got my SPEC setup from JSCSpeed.com. They sent the right one the first time and I have had no problems at all(other than TOB squeal). Dropped the car and parts off at the dealership on a Tuesday and drove it home Wednesday afternoon. The thing to remember here is that everyone has a skewed opinion of how good their own clutch is. I can't say anything other than my personal experience with the setup I chose. So far I love my SPEC setup. I have also heard horror stories about the ACT and SPEC setups, but almost all of those were individual experiences that were not common among installs other than the TOB squeal issues which seems to effect both brands. I know because I have fixed it in cars with both SPEC and ACT clutch setups.

I guess what it comes down to is that it's a mechanical part that can have flaws no matter who made it. As stated by other; don't just go with the lowest price you can find; go with a reputable distributor like KOP or JSCSpeed or a local parts supplier you trust that will back you up if there are any problems. Just like exhaust and every other upgrade; you will hear of people who loved it and had great experiences and people who had nothing but problems with the install and performance. After reading all the available reviews and personal experiences you can find; pick the one that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and go with it.

Truth is, we haven't really had much for choice in which clutch setup to go with and for those of us who did it last year there were even less to choose from. I can't say anything one way or the other about the ACT setups as I haven't driven a car with one in it. I can however say that my SPEC Stage2 Clutch and LWFW have performed up to and beyond my expectations so far. It took well over 1000 miles for it to break in completely, but is now smooth, quiet and holding strong at 4K miles. We'll see how long it lasts once the track opens up again in the spring. ;)

Let's kick this pig!

Another note worth mentioning in the SPEC vs. ACT stage 2 legacy clutch bout...the ACT uses an organic disk while the SPEC uses kevlar. Organic can "re-heal" itself to a certain degree if you scorch it. Kevlar once scorched it's scorched. The trade off is that Kevlar has more holding power potential...just don't fry it!

Another note worth mentioning in the SPEC vs. ACT stage 2 legacy clutch bout...the ACT uses an organic disk while the SPEC uses kevlar. Organic can "re-heal" itself to a certain degree if you scorch it. Kevlar once scorched it's scorched. The trade off is that Kevlar has more holding power potential...just don't fry it!

Yup, this is why I waited until after 1K miles to make sure the clutch was broken in properly before taking it to the track and launching it or running WOT throught the gears. I personally think a proper break-in has more to do with longevity than most people think. Any clutch should be broken in until it feels right, not just until you hit the 500 mile mark or whatever the manufacturer states as the minimum break in period. It was hard to stay out of it for that long, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Let's kick this pig!

This is good to know as far as the ACT setup.

I wish the $hitty Subaru paint was organic so it would heal itself and not start to rust.:p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

hey guys, im new so um my question is that seeing as how my stock clutch is really starting to slip now, to save some money can i just buy the stock clutch with the OEM WRX flywheel? Because the OEM legacy gt flywheel is like 450 and I really dont want to spend that much, I dont have much cash and can't really comfortably afford it, the WRX fly is much cheaper and in my range...will a tranny shop be adequate to do it? or maybe even the dealer will do it?

I think if you were to get a WRX flywheel and oem clutch you will have to look into a 06+ Wrx clutch. the LGT style clutch will not work with the Wrx flywheel. The ACT setup with the Wrx flywheel is a Wrx style clutch therefore works with the OEM Wrx flywheel.

OEM 06-07 Wrx Exedy clutch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-06-07-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-TURBO-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150212468561QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Exedy Stage 1 06-07 Wrx clutch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-STAGE-1-RACING-CLUTCH-SUBARU-WRX-06-07-15804_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42605QQihZ023QQitemZ360018473178QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Less than $100 difference if you plan on modding much you might want to think about an upgrade

FWIW Oem wrx flywheel from KOP is $199

Stage 1 clutch 389

Flywheel 199

Install 350

Total 938

Dealer and/or Tranny shop can easily do the install (dealer wants like 500-550 for install). Replacing clutch on Subarus are very straight forward.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Update: with the snow we got on Friday I cancelled the appt. Too dangerous to try and get the car to slip in 5th gear with 6" of snow.

As well, I removed the AP and now I cannot get the clutch to slip nearly as easy. Previously, if it was all warmed up I could hammer it on the highway and it would slip. I guess you have to pay to play! I may just suck it up and order some parts and find an installer.

Mike

Mine started slipping as soon as I flashed my Pdx stage 1 map. I switched back to the cobb OTS map and it lasted for a while but then started to slip also. So much better now.

Archived