LegacyGT.com

Thinking about getting a new car

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It makes me uncomfortable how much I like the looks of that Saturn.

:whore:

I really hate Saturns, but the vehicle above is pretty good looking and so is the Sky. I did not know that some Saturns were repackaged Opels. Now it all makes sense lol

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Mostly it is just NEW saturns that are re-badged Opels.

Actually the Sky is a Vauxhall design, from the VX-Lightning concept car from a few years back. It still is a fantastic looking car, on the outside. Some people say that the interior isn't as intuitive once lived with. It is badged as an Opel GT, a classic nameplate, in continental Europe.

I wish it didn't have mandatory on-star on board, or an accident "black-box" that could be used to incriminate me, even wrongfully, outside of my 5th amendment rights. Neither potential adversary nor my own insurance companies are necessarily interested in paying claims, and if they can use my own car to discredit me somehow, they can vacate their liability to pay, and I would be left holding the bag. And once in a wreck, the wrecked car becomes the property of the insurance company, so they can use "their" property for their purposes, including data records, spun any way they want by their lawyers. Granted this is all just hypothetical, it seems very possible.

If they build a nice little Sky Redline coupe, it might be enough for me to look into it. I still am not enthused about the nanny boxes, though.

One not mentioned in this thread yet I think is the Toyota Prius.

My sister and her family have one as well as my folks. It has every creature comfort you could want inside, electronics, bluetooth etc... The back seat is huge, bigger than a legacy or outback. With the rear seats folded down providing the same carrying capacity of a wagon. It gets 50 mpg avg around town and can be had for about 25k.

One not mentioned in this thread yet I think is the Toyota Prius.

My sister and her family have one as well as my folks. It has every creature comfort you could want inside, electronics, bluetooth etc... The back seat is huge, bigger than a legacy or outback. With the rear seats folded down providing the same carrying capacity of a wagon. It gets 50 mpg avg around town and can be had for about 25k.

And its moddable!

But seriously, the Prius has more interior room than the Crown Vic. It is by no means the small car that people associate it to be.

The only bad thing about a Prius is you have to drive around like you're better than everyone else :rolleyes:

Seriously I see Prii occasionally SPEEDING on the highways at 80-90mph... thats not gonna get better Mpg than a Civic/Corolla doing the same lol. Hybrids require a different driving method to get the most out of them (mostly stop and go city traffic). If you're looking for a highway cruiser you should look somewhere else. Not to mention no one really knows how long they last and the long term costs (the expensive batteries).

My wife hates the Prius, sometimes I tease here and tell her that I'm buying her one:lol: just to fire her up.

We're talking about a woman who could wield her father's NSX like a Samurai sword lol (when he still had it). Her dream car is a 911 turbo for god's sake. With that in mind, I may be able to get her into an Outback, but a Prius is beyond a tough sell. She's a good woman that one.....After we bought the LGT, the first thing she did was test the speed;)

Hey then I say get a Porsche....a pre-owned one.

Are you looking at strictly new cars? My mom called me today and said that she has a 2 year old GS350 as a loaner car for the day. Says she likes it alot. Lots of room and its pretty quick. Something to think about.

Hey then I say get a Porsche....a pre-owned one.

Are you looking at strictly new cars? My mom called me today and said that she has a 2 year old GS350 as a loaner car for the day. Says she likes it alot. Lots of room and its pretty quick. Something to think about.

We are looking for new or short-used-7000 miles or less. She's never bought a used car before, her Miata, Celica and Mazda 3 have all been new cars, but if the deal is right, we will consider a lightly used car.

Lol a Porsche is not an option right now, we need a kid hauler, but someday, she will get her Porsche (according to her lol).

Find her a used LGT wagon... from what you describe your wifey it would suit her better than the plastic cladded SUV wannabe.

She doesn't want to have to fill up on Premium gas, sadly, a turbo is not an option. Basically, she is willing to eat her car dreams for now and get a Plastic-cladded kid hauler:lol: But once he's old enough, it will be a new Porsche for her. At least we already have 1 turbo in the car family, the LGT. For now that will have to suffice.

So find her a leftover 2007 2.5i wagon with stick. Or lightly used 2006 one. Much cheaper than Outback.

Not a bad idea at all, we'll keep our eyes open. We are going to be back at Puyallup Subaru on Feb 15th to see the 2009 Forester, I'll see if they have any non-GT wagons around.

On the 2008 V6 RAV4 limited, I still can't believe the sticker on those things is $31K. I know they would go down to $28K (I saw one of their internet special flyers with that price), but we really need to be at $25K (tops).

I think we can get an 07 Outback for that, but not the V6 RAV4. We still have to test drive the Nissan Rogue and the CRV before we start dealing.

We have 3 kids, two in car seats. We did 6 weeks coast to coast and back trip this year in our Legacy wagon and everyone fit fine. Cargo, including two compact tents and an umbrella type stroller filled the cargo area just to about the window line. I could even use the cover if I packed it carefully.

I really do not get what you people carry with you if you need a bus to haul two kid family around.

Ski Equipment, food, supplies, Christmas presents, it all adds up.

If you went on a 6 week trip and packed everything into the wagon, congrats. Did your family wear the same clothes for the whole trip?:lol:

To the OP- if your choice is now between an OB and a RAV-4, then I recommend the one that can swallow up more stuff. The new RAV-4 looks like it will carry more stuff in the trunk than our wagons, at least visually from the outside.

Plus it's a Toyota. What's not to love?

Ski Equipment, food, supplies, Christmas presents, it all adds up.

If you went on a 6 week trip and packed everything into the wagon, congrats. Did your family wear the same clothes for the whole trip?:lol:

:rolleyes: No we had several changes. Oh, I forgot some women need to take 5 fur coats with them on every trip, summer or not :rolleyes: Btw did you know there are laundromats in this country? Pretty much in every better hotel/motel.

I just offered an alternative view. I just don't get where this "2 kids = minivan/huge SUV" thing comes from.

Mind you, for camping and such we use high-end lightweight backpacking equipment ($$$), so it's very compact, etc.

Anyway, we concluded we could have taken even less. Less crap you have with you the less time you spend worrying about it, packing it, etc.

Travel light ftw.

To the OP- if your choice is now between an OB and a RAV-4, then I recommend the one that can swallow up more stuff. The new RAV-4 looks like it will carry more stuff in the trunk than our wagons, at least visually from the outside.

Plus it's a Toyota. What's not to love?

The trunk was actually a little bit smaller than the Outback, but the backseat was larger in the RAV4. So outback=bigger trunk, but RAV4= bigger interior cabin. After driving them both, we'd happily take either one, it will come down to who has the best deal, Toyota or Subaru. And this is if we don't like the Nissan or the Honda more, who know, we just might.....

Archived