LegacyGT.com

Subaru B9x ugly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the front shot, i think it looks ok. That grill / front end is horrible!!

Otherwise i think it looks like the Lexus SUV from the side and kind of like the Cayenne from the back with the dual exhaust....if it were not for the horrible front than i think it might be somewhat popular.

And theya re talking about a $37K base price for the 7 seater, which is right smack into MDX/RX-330 territory.

They are also talking about a 4200lbs weight with a non-turbo H6, and a puny 2000lbs towing capacity.

Sales bomb is right, it will probably make the Baja sales look good.

I find the design interesting, if not original. As noted, it has Cayenne lights, Murano side profile and Alfa Romeo rear lights. The car looks a bit too tall because of the elevated position of the head/tail lights, but I wouldn't call it ugly.

The H6 will need to do more, though.

Dragos

I think their designer is a one trick pony. The new corporate face is barely more than the Alfa face uglified by inverting the center triangle and the window line comes right from the 156 wagon. The rear end looks like the same car with about ten inches of metal added betwen the bumper and taillights. Yet, despite being adaptations of his previous work, it also ends up being derivative of its competitors as others have stated. Maybe if the center grill were black or mesh and the headlights were hidden in the side 'wings' flanking the center grill, it would look less ugly. The headlights and inverted triangle center need to be changed, but I do like the side wings trying to mimic an (Nakajima) aircraft. Oi, if only Subaru could make their cars beautiful ...

At least the SVX was attractive and unique even if it was a sales failure.

Steve

The designers must have "ins" if you know what I mean. How could you design such ugliness model after model, causing an emergency redesign after 2 years on the wrx, and still be allowed to design cars? I thought the guys got demoted to the NA market in order to make our bumpers.... maybe not. Of course this "thing" is going to be released/manufactured in the US first looks like.. Maybe it is the same people.

Why would somebody buy this over a Acura MDX?

Every other Soobie is better in some aspect than the competition. Legacy/Impreza: awd, performance versions, wagon body style, manual transmission, good driving dynamics. Some features aren't even available in the market. The Forester has a performance version available, and it drives in a much sportier way than the competition. It also doesn't cost Subaru all that much since it shares the chassis with the impreza.

Now, why would someobody buy the B9 over the Acura MDX or Honda Pilot for example? Or the new Pathfinder? Or if you want 5-seater the Murano or RX330? Always the Highlander. This Subaru is going to be at the bottom in terms of acceleration, and probably close to the middle for handling. Add in the ugly looks and 35K price tag, and I don't think it will be enough.

-B

It would look good, if it wasn't for that DISGUSTING FRONT END!!! Oh man if this is the new face for Subaru then its the end for Subaru as well. I can't imagine people buying that thing, I would rather own a Hyundai, it has more style then that.

One thing I can say Saab might actually get some sales now, because the people that like the conecpt of this thing, and know its a subaru, but hate the looks will wait and buy the saab when they redo the front end like they did on the 9-2x.

I am sorry Subaru but if you want to stay competitive you atleast have to have good design's, I know the technology and everything under the hood is good, but if it doesn't look atleast half way decent no one in their right mind would buy it. The 2005 Legacy really is the last true Subaru :(

I certainly think that beauty is only skin deep and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think a lot of the technology that has and will go into this car will be great and certainly keep the EURO boys on their toes. The outside is something else, and gives us all a real clear indication of the direction of Subaru in the future. In someways its very AUDI looking..... can it be that bad ?

Adam.

Another problem is that it seems it can't pull your WRX on a trailer. Things that are pleasant to the eye are calming - that's not superficial. There's also the inner drive of a majority of people to fit in. Maybe it's an extension of the human need to be understood, but what I know is that having something that most people would find offensive to look at does little to make the owner feel they belong. Most people don't prefer alienation. Me, I'm half a sociopath so fitting in isn't a high priority for me, but I still think it's ugly and I like to enjoy the use of my eyes.

Steve

Archived