LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

Not yet. I need to find the time to start and the gf thinks its a great gift idea and I shouldn't purchase the stuff myself. Whenever that happens I end up disappointed :lol:

Just buy the yourself a starter kit then tell her what a great gift kegging equipment would be! ;) Here's a couple of good starter kits if you want to get her pointed in the right direction.

This is a basic starter kit for $100 (ships free!) It's everything you NEED but the bottles.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15910/102142

If your serious about getting into brewing I would buy this kit. It's $300 but you'll end up buying all this stuff eventually anyway. This is the stuff that makes the process a lot easier. (also ships free!)

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15912/102142

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that kegerator is still a thing of beauty! mine is done. kegged up some beers with the help given here and am loving it. i have a wheat, oktoberfest, pilsner, and porter in the basement. my next adventure is a flavored wheat...

how much fruit should go into the primary fermenter to get that good blueberry flavor. it is with a wheat. i didnt plan to use a syrup, but enlighten me. i was thinking two pounds of slightly crushed blueberries. i know this will take a secondary fermenter after about 5 days.

any tips or insight welcome, thanks...

Awesome. There's nothing better than coming home after a long day and pulling a fresh pint of beer from the tap. Sounds like you've been busy. Pic of the kegerator or ban!!!

I've never brewed a fruit beer, so you are officially beyond my area of expertise. From what I understand, fresh fruit can be a little bit difficult sometimes because the yeast will ferment out most of the natural sugars in the fruit. I would post a thread (and or do a search) at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ . You should find lots of help there. I have a recipe for a bomb ass Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale if you are interested in that. No help with the blueberries tho...

still wrestling the pics...but i did brew the blueberry wheat last night. smelled great, cant wait for it to get done fermenting. will be transferring to a secondary fermenter friday to finish. a buddy told me to not leave the fruit too long or it will begin to spoil. used 2.5 lbs of frozen blueberries. I was told to freeze them or i would have to mash them. the freezing broke the skins to let the juice out. i will update when its done. will have to taste test and hydrometer at transfer day, just to see.

• 4 weeks later...
the two and a half pounds of blueberries worked great. they were frozen so the skins were broke. i transferred to a secondary fermenter after 5 days and jumped the gunk. i think next time is will mash the blueberries a little before adding to help the flavors mix. all in all, after about three weeks of aging it is great. the flavor keeps coming out a little more as it ages.

it is suttle and smooth. it is not as sweet as seadog blueberry for comparison. i also put two perlick ss faucets on the kegerator today. having fun still. i will be building a two tap jockey box here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
made a strawberry wheat. should get a taste in about a week. smells great. also, does anyone have any experience with irish moss and/or liquid isinglass for clearing. thanks for any info. clearing isnt as easy when kegging since there is no priming sugar to help eat up the rest of the solids.

I use Irish Moss in all of my beers. It works pretty well and it's really easy to use. You just throw it in when there is 5 minutes left in the boil. Cold crashing your fermenter before racking the beer to a keg will help with clarity too.

Strawberry wheat sounds tasty. Just in time for summer.

while your on, sneaky, do you strain out the hops when putting the wort into the fermenter, or do you put it all in the fermenter and siphon above it all. i have a few recipes and they both say different things...one strain, one put it all in there. just wondering. will straining affect the irish moss?

I used to strain them but now I use hop bags so I don't need to strain. It won't hurt the beer if there are hop leaves in the fermenter. The hop leaves can clog your racking cane when you are transferring though. Get yourself some hop bags, they will save you a lot of hassle.

http://morebeer.com/search/102209

I don't bag pellet hops. I just let them settle out with the rest of the trub.

wow, looks like everyone is doig wheats now.

That's probably what I should have done. Instead I attempted a jalepeno beer. I wanted just a touch of heat and a subtle jalepeno flavor. All I got was a good amount of flavor and no heat! We'll see what happens to it after a few more weeks in the secondary...

whoa...def interested in how jalepenos turn out. wheat is an easy one to take a fruit flavor and still be light. never thought about things like you have going on. the possibilities are endless...

next wheat will be a raspberry or blackbrerry.

I seeded and roasted two jalapenos, then added them in for the last 5 minutes and kept them in the primary until I racked to the secondary.

It'll be a few more weeks before I get to taste this one. I like to do a long secondary to let it clear up.

This was inspired by a habenero amber I had at a homebrew store, it was awesome. I think it was a "Brew and Grow" store in Roselle, IL. Great shop for anyone around that area.

strawberry wheat tastes pretty good after carbonating. needs to age some. made the belgian white today. i will be messing with gelatin for clearing when i move it to the secondary fermenter.

• 2 weeks later...
More details on store please :)

yeah, yeah so I'm a little slow to respond:

http://www.altgarden.com/site/retail%20stores/BG_Roselle.html

If you don't want to go outside, check out the sale at austinomebrewsupply.com

But hurry, the sale ends tonite. I just picked up a Boddingtons kit and a Nottinghams IPA kit. I am currently drinking their Fat Tire clone, been awhile since I had a real Fat Tire so I don't know how close it is, but it is a good beer and a real nice kit.

If you "dry hop" it with some peppers you might get more heat.

I considered this, but I'm reluctant to put anything unsantized in the secondary and risk an infection...maybe I better grow some hair on my sack next time and try it.

Archived