LegacyGT.com

Using Synthetic Oil

I switched to Mobil 1 5-30 oil in my 05 Impreza 2.5RS non-turbo at the first oil change at 2000 miles. The car continually burned up to 1 quart in 1000 miles even though it was not driven particularly hard. Two dealer service advisors have stated that I should not have used synthetic oil in the Subaru. I do use Mobil 1 in my other vehicles. the Impreza has since been totaled and I replaced it with a 2008 Legacy non-turbo. I've used conventional oil inthe first couple of oil changes and am gun shy about switching to Mobil 1. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Run a search for key words like synthetic, oil change, burning oil, stuff like that. It should yield a TON of threads about this very same subject. Welcome to the site dude! Just don't take too much offense if you get flamed hard for this thread. Most of the veterans don't particularly like noobs clogging up the forums with new threads about subjects that have been gone over a TON of times. So, prepare yourself for a good spanking, rub your sore butt, and then put some pictures of your Legacy up on the site and make some friends. There are a lot of great people here. Just try to search for specific keywords first before putting up a thread about something obvious. It'll be better for you.... :)

According to my service dept, you can switch to synthetic after a truly thorough break-in period - MINIMUM of 7500 miles - I'd advice to wait even longer. Maybe like 10K. There have been a lot of stories of switching too soon and having burning problems, but not a lot of stories about those who have held off for a bit. I'd wait for a bit, especially with a non-turbo you are not in dire need of the synthetic yet.

According to my service dept, you can switch to synthetic after a truly thorough break-in period - MINIMUM of 7500 miles - I'd advice to wait even longer. Maybe like 10K. There have been a lot of stories of switching too soon and having burning problems, but not a lot of stories about those who have held off for a bit. I'd wait for a bit, especially with a non-turbo you are not in dire need of the synthetic yet.

+1:cool:

what oil? I've been putting the green stuff in my engine and it works fine!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've heard many stories about all types of oil. I would definitely wait for at least 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic.

I have just ended up using SuperTech synthetic oil. Walmart sells it, and it is EXTREMELY cheap(cost). Screw paying so damn much for brand name oil. I used to spend around $40 for a oil change including a filter when I used Mobil 1. Now I pay around $20.

I have just ended up using SuperTech synthetic oil. Walmart sells it, and it is EXTREMELY cheap(cost). Screw paying so damn much for brand name oil. I used to spend around $40 for a oil change including a filter when I used Mobil 1. Now I pay around $20.

I guess you're saving the good shit for the Maybach ......

As others stated... please do a search as this has been discussed at great lengths...

IMHO... use what you want. As long as you follow the service intervals, you'll be fine.

Let's not make this into a "bash the noob" thread, please.

Thanks.

As others stated... please do a search as this has been discussed at great lengths...

IMHO... use what you want. As long as you follow the service intervals, you'll be fine.

Let's not make this into a "bash the noob" thread, please.

Thanks.

But isn't using synthetic supposed to lenghten the TBOC ? otherwise what's the point of using it :confused:

Wait, there is no point :lol:

Gee, thanks for the warm welcome. By the way, I was just wondering, were abused as a child?

i wasn't abused as a child and i put Mobil 1 is my car at 500 miles runs great no oil problems at all in 14k miles. btw welcome to the forum. bosco

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

Stay Stock Stay Happy

kryzyss..... tell the dealer that. :lol: Bye bye warranty.

HTown.... it is a joke... he was being sarcastic.

In case of 2008 subarus extended OCI would be after warranty expires.

I suspect that if I were in the market I would not buy Legacy. I put roughly 30K miles a year and 3750 miles happen rather fast at such rate. Low OCI would be definately negative point for Subaru.

Everybody else increases OCI, what is wrong with them?

Krzys

In case of 2008 subarus extended OCI would be after warranty expires.

I suspect that if I were in the market I would not buy Legacy. I put roughly 30K miles a year and 3750 miles happen rather fast at such rate. Low OCI would be definately negative point for Subaru.

Everybody else increases OCI, what is wrong with them?

Krzys

You've got 422 posts and don't know?

Subaru has replaced many turbos under warranty because people don't understand that turbocharged engines are tougher on oil. Many owners take the OCI and stretch it out - on shit oil.

Your turbo has a tiny in-line oil screen on the turbo oil supply line that can clog. If it does, kiss your turbo bearings and possibly other components good bye.

Archived