LegacyGT.com

Swap of STi6spd to 5EAT LGT

ShyGT

Hi guys

I have swapped a 02 JDM STi 6SPD box into my 2007 5EAT LGT. Everything is completed, the only problem now is.. The Throttle Body(Drive by Wire) is not opening 100%.

At full throttle, its only opening up to 40%, thus I can't develop power and boost can't go higher than 0.8Bar.

Does anyone here encountered this problem before, and can offer some solution to my headache.

Deeply appreciate any help.

Cheers

I have done this kind of swap, but not in a Subaru.

It is an engine management problem; you either have to convince the ecu that you no longer have a manual or change the program completely, which may be very easy to do or might be impossible. I'd ask the folks over at openecu.org.

Hi guys

I have swapped a 02 JDM STi 6SPD box into my 2007 5EAT LGT. Everything is completed, the only problem now is.. The Throttle Body(Drive by Wire) is not opening 100%.

At full throttle, its only opening up to 40%, thus I can't develop power and boost can't go higher than 0.8Bar.

Does anyone here encountered this problem before, and can offer some solution to my headache.

Deeply appreciate any help.

Cheers

HOW MUCH TIME AND MONEY DO YOU HAVE INVESTED INTO THIS TO MAKE IT WORK?? ID LOVE TO DO THIS AS WELL

not yet. We will try that option.. and see if the MT maps will make the E-throttle response fully.

My fingers are crossed, if not, my worst scenario will be to go MOTEC.. which will easily solve the problem. But I'll have to spend more $$$.. :(

what is your goal with the 6 spd? I test drove an 07 spec b with a 6M and wasn't impressed with the extra gear. didn't really feel any gain from it other than having an extra gear option. 3rd is very useful on either set though.

what is your goal with the 6 spd? I test drove an 07 spec b with a 6M and wasn't impressed with the extra gear. didn't really feel any gain from it other than having an extra gear option. 3rd is very useful on either set though.

My 5EAT wasn't holding my power any longer, and the next best upgrade was to a MANUAL Trans.

I had a choice of a WRX 5spd or a STi 6spd. Given that the WRX 5spd always has the tendency to break its first two gears, and can't really take more than 400WHP w/out strengthening. The best bet was the STi 6spd, which is extremely strong, and the ratios matched the track i go to. My STi tranny is a JDM version, which will have shorter ratios compared to a USDM or Euro STi.

:)

I have done this kind of swap, but not in a Subaru.

It is an engine management problem; you either have to convince the ecu that you no longer have a manual or change the program completely, which may be very easy to do or might be impossible. I'd ask the folks over at openecu.org.

+1 to that.

OP, even after you get past the mechanical installation, you will have to get the ecu to work. Your current ecu is expecting to interface with a 5EAT tcu which will no longer be there. You could swap out the ecu but then you would still need to bring it to a dealer to deal with the immobilizer.

Or, if you know how to reprogram a Hitachi ecu then you could try to recode it but IMHO that would be a significant task.

i have seen a thread whereby our ECU has a AT/MT Identifier Pin, which tells the ECU whether this car is a MT or an AT.

I will see if my Wiring guy can do some wonders on it. If not, it will be MOTEC for me. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advices guys!!

My 5EAT wasn't holding my power any longer, and the next best upgrade was to a MANUAL Trans.

I had a choice of a WRX 5spd or a STi 6spd. Given that the WRX 5spd always has the tendency to break its first two gears, and can't really take more than 400WHP w/out strengthening. The best bet was the STi 6spd, which is extremely strong, and the ratios matched the track i go to. My STi tranny is a JDM version, which will have shorter ratios compared to a USDM or Euro STi.

:)

What kind of power are you putting down, and with what mods?

About how much have you invested into the transmission swap thus far?

you need to change the ecu. when my 07 was ecuteked the tuner from ecutek had never encountered my ecu code. depending on production date of the 07 model, there are different ecu codes. every 07 ecu is not the same. ecutek accidentally used the 5mt code and my car wouldn't shift out of 1st. they spent hours on the phone with the U.K. finally i said to Ben that he used a 5mt base map to get started. i didn't want to question him when he did that, cuz he was the expert. long story short, my 5eat code had never been encountered before.

i just know that the Si drive is based on TPS and the 5eat TCU uses TPS as well as many other sensors. that's why i believe you need a specb ecu.

What kind of power are you putting down, and with what mods?

About how much have you invested into the transmission swap thus far?

hi Hammerhead

I am building around 350WHP, with a twinscroll set up. The cost of the Swap will be roughly around US$5000.

its way stronger. thats all. they can handle like 600whp pretty well. who cares about the extra gear

hi Hammerhead

I am building around 350WHP, with a twinscroll set up. The cost of the Swap will be roughly around US$5000.

Yikes. The IPT Race transmission rebuild for our 5eats is around $4500 if you supply the transmission :) It is good for way more than 350 whp too:)

Good luck with the swap. Neat idea....

Yikes. The IPT Race transmission rebuild for our 5eats is around $4500 if you supply the transmission :) It is good for way more than 350 whp too:)

Good luck with the swap. Neat idea....

oh well, is a good choice provided i live in the States. But I do not, and the shipment charges to IPT would have make it totally off my budget.

A few of us here already got the IPT VB upgrades.

oh well, is a good choice provided i live in the States. But I do not, and the shipment charges to IPT would have make it totally off my budget.

A few of us here already got the IPT VB upgrades.

Where exactly do you live? What turbo setups are people running with the IPT Vb upgrades?

its way stronger. thats all. they can handle like 600whp pretty well. who cares about the extra gear

if you're pushing 600whp then i think we should start talking about racing sequential shift gearboxes instead of a swapped out 6spd from an sti!

besides, i can see how the extra gear would work if it works for you as ShyGT has posted earlier. also, what sort of supportive parts are being replaced with this swap? What flywheel/clutch do you have to use?

Archived