LegacyGT.com

Protection for new Legacy (clear bra)

HeavyB

I couldn't even see it in most of the photos, but the one I did see it with was looking from the side onto the hood. I saw the seam (which I could probably learn to deal with...) But the film had a noticeable "orange-peel" to it. That would irk me. Most factory paint is orange-peeled more that I would like, but with the clear bra, you can't really polish that out. That would be a deal breaker. Maybe on the front plastic bumper, side mirrors, in/around Door handles (good idea, actually) and just ahead of the rear wheels, where the parts are de-lineated by body lines, and the orange-peel wouldn't be as obvious as the hood was, going from smooth to not-as-smooth on the same part. Plus the hood is more horizontal, and the reflections will betray the surface more easily.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does seem to have that effect a little but you really have to look hard and under the correct lighting conditions. The film can be compound polished. It is a compromise since you have to protect the front which will suffer, yet you can not put a defflector you could always put a solid bra :( really nasty invention. I will contact 3m to see if the effect can be attenuated but I can tell you that few people have noticed.

Compaired to having a huge bit of plastic on the front which let me tell u is a PITA to clean, the clear Bra is certainly the way to go. And nicd, its not really untill ppl stand ontop of the car that they can really sea it. I think its a fantastic job and obvioulsy a great purchase.

The good thing is that I couldn't see anything on the bumper or anywhere besides the hood. Considering the swiss-cheese that is the paint on my wife's miata front bumper, I would really consider it there, and other rock-chip prone areas. The miata doesn't even have clear-coated paint, though, and it is classic red. It will probably need a re-paint in a few years. :evil: The only part that was glaring to me was the hood, with the "demarcation line" where part of the hood was glossier than the other. on sunny days, especially with a black car, I would think that reflectivity change would be noticeable, at least to me, and I am the one who has to be happy with my car. Maybe I'd leave it off the hood, and take my chances, I'm not sure. But I'm not trying to say that the installer did a bad job, or that it is not a quality product. It is likely just the nature of the beast. everything has it's compromizes.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'] The only part that was glaring to me was the hood, with the "demarcation line" where part of the hood was glossier than the other. on sunny days, especially with a black car, I would think that reflectivity change would be noticeable, at least to me, and I am the one who has to be happy with my car. .....Maybe I'd leave it off the hood, and take my chances, I'm not sure. [/quote] Personally, I would rather see the demarcation line on the hood than 2 dozen stone chips.

Just got off the phone with them and Stongaurd uses 3m film to make the kits. Make sure that the film you install has a clear coat glaze. Do not use Yellow or blue wax. to remove the scratches use 3M 1 Step Cleaner Wax-Medium Oxydation Remover # 39066. To return to hi gloss apply the 3m paste wax and wax and then apply the 3m gloss enhancer. Any questions Ken Halford would be happy to answer your queries(technical) at 651-736-0282.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Is there any difference (aside from the names) between StoneGuard, X-Pel, or 3Ms products? I'm thinking along the lines of the useful life of the product, ability to protect, etc.[/quote] AFAIK, there are only two manufacturers of the protective film in the USA, namely 3M and Avery. All the other names you see are kit manufacturers who buy their film in bulk from Avery or 3M.

Hmm not sure Franz that they keep the bugs from sticking but it might help and make it easier to wash them off. Hate the bug thing as well but with your winter coming around, Im sure u wont have to worry about them for too much longer. Did you and Seth install yr grills at the front yet?

[quote name='agctr']Hmm not sure Franz that they keep the bugs from sticking but it might help and make it easier to wash them off. Hate the bug thing as well but with your winter coming around, Im sure u wont have to worry about them for too much longer. Did you and Seth install yr grills at the front yet?[/quote] Not yet. He's been too busy. :P

Just talked to Rockblocker they said they will have a Legacy GT kit soon and plan on having a nice discount to promote the new design. I had a clearshield on my WRX and it was worth it, will deffinetly be worth it on my black legacy.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the clearshield on my WRX, most people at meets never even noticed it. You really have to be looking for it, or really close and looking directly at it to notice it. If you drive by, or just walk by you won't notice it. I will deffinetly be getting mine put on before winter time.

• 4 weeks later...
Is X-pel the only clear bra currently available for the 05 Legacy GT Ltd Sedan? Did anyone put one on their Leg GT yet? There was some talk about Rockblocker/StonGard having a pattern cut soon, but I haven't heard anything. I think they were having trouble finding a car to pattern. Anyone in Redmond Washington willing to loan them your Legacy GT for the afternoon? Too bad they're not on the east coast, I would jump at the chance. Does anyone else have any suggestions- I'll need to pull the trigger on this soon.

I had the full Stongard kit installed on my WRX back in May of 2001. It included the front part of the hood, the front bumper, the mirrors, the leading edge of the hood scoop, the door edges, the area inside of the door handles, and the top of the rear bumper, to aid in preventing scratches if you slide something heavy into the trunk. I really hate it in the door handle area and the door edges and one of these days I'm going to use a hair dryer and remove it, if I can. After 3 1/2 years, I have mixed feelings about it. It definitely does prevent paint chips. But the car still has paint chips on the hood and front fenders where there is no Stongard. Also, it does have a [i]very slight[/i] yellowish tint, which is only noticeable under certain conditions. My car is silver. It probably wouldn't be noticeable at all on a dark color. Wax does build up at the edges but can be mostly removed with a toothpick or fingernail and a cotton cloth so that it's not noticeable. But on a dark car it would be. A pain in the butt to remove. On my next car (which will likely be an Outback XT) I'm uncertain if I'll have it installed. If I do, it will be the hood only. I had the front bumper replaced 2 years ago so it has no Stongard and it has no paint chips. I don't think the plastic bumper material chips nearly as easily as the hard body panels, so no protection needed there in my opinion.

[quote name='harrydog'] .......Also, it does have a [i]very slight[/i] yellowish tint, which is only noticeable under certain conditions. My car is silver. It probably wouldn't be noticeable at all on a dark color. [/quote] The latest version of the film from 3M is supposedly less prone to yellowing.

[quote name='Rimfaxe']Is X-pel the only clear bra currently available for the 05 Legacy GT Ltd Sedan? Did anyone put one on their Leg GT yet? There was some talk about Rockblocker/StonGard having a pattern cut soon, but I haven't heard anything. I think they were having trouble finding a car to pattern. Anyone in Redmond Washington willing to loan them your Legacy GT for the afternoon? Too bad they're not on the east coast, I would jump at the chance. Does anyone else have any suggestions- I'll need to pull the trigger on this soon.[/quote] Why are you reluctant to go with X-Pel? It seems to be the only kit available right now. Was surprised to see that the average lifespan of the 3M film is only 7 years, according to X-pel.

Archived