LegacyGT.com

Protection for new Legacy (clear bra)

HeavyB

[quote name='Sub-attraction']Anyone with these clear-bra applications have any experience using Zaino car polish products?[/quote] No experience but there were several notes regarding Zaino on Edmunds' Subaru Crew forum. There seems to be a positive recommendation for Klasse AIO. [url]http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?50@202.nheec4XjA5l.3@.ee99530/2004[/url] [url]http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kla-10.html[/url]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Sub-attraction']Anyone with these clear-bra applications have any experience using Zaino car polish products?[/quote] The material has a clear coat finish to protect the painted surfaces and also help hide the material within the color of the car. You want to wax the product just liek you do with your car. You can use any wax or polish( ie Zaino and others) to the surfaces of the film just the same way as your paint. If you never waxed it that area would look really bad and noticeable while the rest of the car looks good. We have come out with the fog light covers for teh New wagons in clear, smoked, yellow and blue colors. The headlights are on their way. Within the next two weeks we will have the paint protection kits ready to be for sale. If anyone has any questions post up here or email me at [email]chad@(removethis)rockblocker.com[/email]. Be glad to help out

• 2 weeks later...
Just make sure they install correctly and look for any major stone chips as u dont want to get water or worse, mud and grime under it. A friend has but in on two cars of his now and u dont even notice its there.

• 2 weeks later...
The 3M is fine on any color car there's just care and precautions that must be taken. UV rays can yellow any clear film over time. It must be treated like a carbon fiber hood for instance, there are UV blocking waxes and polishes that will keep the film protected for longer periods. I think dealers in the tri-state area are, or will be, getting a clear bra and window tint option. I just saw a black Outback 2.5i with all the rear glass tinted and it looks very nice.

Don't all of the legacy's have aluminum hoods? Rock chips are nasty, but if rusting isn't a problem it might not be a good tradeoff with what the clearbra is going to look like/do to the paint after many years. I want to get tint too, but I'm also weary of what the plastic film is going to do after years in the sun, especially since there aren't window frames to hide ugly edges.

[quote name='Deer Killer']Don't all of the legacy's have aluminum hoods? Rock chips are nasty, but if rusting isn't a problem it might not be a good tradeoff with what the clearbra is going to look like/do to the paint after many years.[/quote] Does anyone have any first hand experience with a clearbra? What kind of effort does it take to maintain, difficulty in replacing after "X" number of years, etc?

As I said in a previous post, a friend of mine has had it now on two cars. The first car had the clear car-bra for approx 4 years and his new car atleast 2. It hasnt done anything to the paint, it still looks new and hasnt had any major problems. Not sure about removing it and starting again. The only problem I can forsee would be the actual product spliting when you are trying to take it off. Im sure if you ask any signwriter what you could use to remove the plastic without harming the paint, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. 3M may also have a product to actually condition the car-bra to enable it to last longer. Just a suggestion.....

• 2 weeks later...
Done, I took the plunge and had the new 3m paint gaurd installed. Very very nice job done free hand no kits. 845 cdn $ installed-not cheap but they did part of the hood the whole front bumper the rocker panels the head lights the rear bumper the door wells the front of the rear wheel well and the door sills. If you have a black car you will want to polish the film according to the care instruction on the 3m site. I can only reccomend it as I was already starting to get little scratches.

Sounds like they did a pretty good job. That is the only drama with it, it does scratch a little bit. Unsure why 3M would have made it so fragile in that way but it would certainly look a lot cleaner that having a plastic stone guard and headlight protectors. Now I will jump in here before everyone else does. That post is useless without pics...... It would be great to see the finished job.

Guys if you're in Northern Virginia let me know - a good friend of mine runs the 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film sales & installation business for that area and can get you a special price and a professional installation. This is his website: [url]http://www.pftfilms.com/[/url] But you are welcome to PM me if you want me to get you a special price. I also know the regional guy for the Maryland area, and can at least point you in the right direction there as well (I don't know him as well, just through my friend so I don't know if I can swing you a discount with him but I can certainly try and either way you will be getting a professional installation. =)

[quote name='brady_bunch']What do you guys think about covering the first inch or so of the top lip of the hood scoop? Worth it? Not? Does anyone see much possibility of getting paint chips from bugs or rocks at that point of the hood?[/quote] I think it would be a good idea. Bugs get stuck to that edge, and I imagine rocks could cause some chips..

Just got a quote for a local place to install X-Pel full front kit (bumper, hood, mirrors for $549 I can add the headlight protection for $50 Saving coinage now...

Yep the job is done and the film has been waxed :p

Parts done.

Full fron bumper

Front side behind flashers

Hood from side to side behind flashers

Door Handles

Rocker Panels

Front Side mirrors

Front of rear wheel well

Rear bumper from rear sill to underear bumper

676411183_ResizeofPICT0538.JPG.fd4051f7f7cec82368540157a834b642.JPG

865514113_ResizeofPICT0540.JPG.8b3c4197bbeab0ac13011b60c3e383c5.JPG

515594895_ResizeofPICT0541.JPG.bd7cbc0d5b00f200bcb649241db3a36d.JPG

1151708719_ResizeofPICT0542.JPG.c9adb5fd178f211646a87816518ff1f6.JPG

1970942772_ResizeofPICT0543.JPG.6c27a073353e61b8e26cdc15c31e55cf.JPG

FANTASTIC JOB, you can hardly even see it. You must be very happy with the work that was done but where didnt you put the clearbra?? LOL. Great Job, very impressed. PS, Love the rubber that you have on as well, looks like it would hang in well

Archived