LegacyGT.com

??? Is 6MT in Spec B same as Sti???

amg996

good grief, I thought this got covered already.

07 Spec B per FSM (pg 6MT-2):

1 - 3.636

2 - 2.235

3 - 1.521

4 - 1.137

5 - 0.891

6 - 0.707

R - 3.545

Front ratio - 3.900 Hypoid

Center ratio - 1.100 Helical

Rear ratio - 3.545 Hypoid

And on page 6MT-6 is the blow-up of the tranny section where the :eek: oil pump for the tranny fluid is. :rolleyes:

AKLGT, I'm not mocking you tech friends, but all they did was change ratios and take out the DCCD & front LSD...enough for some people to call them completely different animals....I say they're similar units.

they are the tech gods, not just techies. :rolleyes: and yes, they are similar, however if given the choice between the two, the STI 6MT will be stronger. It has a lot more $$ in engineering to make it such. However, again, he told me that both will hold up quite well. Both units are pretty strong, but the STI tranny will be able to hold more power (hypothetically speaking). I don't think we've seen too many BIG build ups on the Spec 6MT's yet, so I guess it's still unknown.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pics:

"...Pics of the 6-speed he killed, and by killed I mean bruised (a long way from the mechanical death I wrought on mine). Mind you, this is a standard 'box in a rally car (that he abuses without mercy)..."

Gear set:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2564/imgp0086ac9.jpg

Selector forks:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3852/imgp0081vm7.jpg

Well, ? is, how much more engineering could the Sti tranny have if its the tranny they supposedly lifted to put into the Spec B? Does anyone know what the most power anyone is running on a Spec B? I have a full race level 10 automatic tranny that I want to get rid of. I just finished putting in a Cosworth Block and heads with an APS SR70 twin scroll setup. The Auto is great for straight lines but for maximum control I think I'm gonna need a 6-speed. I'm looking to run close to 600 @ whp.

I have a hard time believing that a little car company like Subaru would re-invent the wheel to put the 6-speed in a low production car like the Spec.B. I bet they are the same.

Pretty much what I said. Thanks SS

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Pretty much what I said. Thanks SS

*shrug* whatever... like i said, just saying what I was told by people who actually work and are certified by SOA. take it or leave it. and really, until someone builds up an 07+ Spec B 6MT or blows it up, it's all speculation. I'm told regardless, they should both handle quite a bit of power.

The Sti is stronger ultimately, due to the greater leverage afforded by the shorter diff ratio's. Same reason why our tranny's are stronger than the WRX's.

I'm in for agreeing with the trannies being virtually the same construction wise....

I was told by Scott Siegel (Subaru expert) that the Spec.B transmission is just an STI transmission with taller 5th and 6th gears, and slightly refined shifting smoothness. He says that he is putting the Spec.B tranny in his 550whp STI that he uses at the racing school he founded. He even told me that if I wanted to swap my transmission for an STI one, he would do the labor for nearly free. I don't think that a qualified SOA tech and aftermarket/tuning/racing expert would tell me that if it was only based on speculation.

i thought that's what i said??? They told me there are some differences, however, both would handle a lot of power, so probably would depend on what's more available or cheaper. Being that there are a few 6MT STI trannies around the shop, I would assume it'd be cheaper for one of those. i could be wrong.

i wouldnt, but the fact that he offered makes me think that there is not a significant strength difference between them

You should consider it dude! Free front LSD and DCCD (you will need aftermarket controller, but they are not expensive) FTW!!!

You should consider it dude! Free front LSD and DCCD (you will need aftermarket controller, but they are not expensive) FTW!!!

haha i dont think lsd and dccd were part of the deal. that would be pretty sweeet

After reading the last 4 pages it doesn't seem like anything has been resolved.

Both the Legacy HD 5speed and the STI 6speed are both strong trannies and hold up to a lot of WHP.

The USDM Spec B 6speed is the same 6speed that was offered in the '05 JDM 3.0R spec.B Legacy and the Forester STI (Forester STI dose not have DCCM).

That's all I got... do with it what you will.

Archived