LegacyGT.com

??? Is 6MT in Spec B same as Sti???

amg996

I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing. I'm saying that experience and "know-how" won't tell you which transmission is the more capable one. Sure trial and error could tell you but as others have stated, the spec.B transmission has not been explored anywhere near the extent that the STi transmission has.

right. i think we have all agreed on that! :lol: afaik, what little differences there are/might be, wouldn't really matter as both are fully capable to handle a large amount of power!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hammer, i bet your LGT w/ the FULL STI swap (tranny, etc) is awesome!!! :D

Yes indeed. The Sti 6MT really puts the SPORT in Sport Sedan. It really has impress me in the snow.

Stage II next spring. Will give me stock STi power, to go with the 6MT.:cool:

Stage I dyno pull in 4th gear at 225whp & 245wtq. I hit about 240wtq @ 3250 rpm. The other 5 rpm come in around 4200 rpm.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

i believe the 07 is different. which is what we have so that's what i have to compare to. I know when we had an 05 opened up, the techs were pointing and telling me what was different between our 07 and that one. as i've said, i don't really remember what the differences were.

AKLGT, I'm not harping on you personally, but why do you keep bringing up the oil pump issue, even after 2 things have been proven:

1. you haven't seen an 07 B 6MT tranny fully opened up (not saying I have)

2. I've already listed in post #19 in this very thread, on pg 6MT-6 of the 2007 SpecB FSM, in the blow up of the B 6MT, there is an oil pump listed and pictured.

I'm siding with Dr Sharp on this one. While the technical guys at SOA may very well be impressed with the skunkworks going on in AK, I seriously doubt your local service dept techs are shattering the earth with technological breakthroughs in automotive engineering.

No, not all techs are grease monkeys, agreed. There are MANY knowledgeable techs out there. Period.

But from where I'm sitting, it sounds like you're defending your techs like they are re-writing some of the engineering manuals. I understand they're not dummies, but they are impressing who? Yeah, guys from SOA...and how often on here are they revered for their smooth moves in bringing over the "good stuff" and offering it to us.

Now, if they were bringing guys in from JAPAN....well, then I'll start to think something funky is happening up there in AK.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

good grief, I thought this got covered already.

07 Spec B per FSM (pg 6MT-2):

1 - 3.636

2 - 2.235

3 - 1.521

4 - 1.137

5 - 0.891

6 - 0.707

R - 3.545

Front ratio - 3.900 Hypoid

Center ratio - 1.100 Helical

Rear ratio - 3.545 Hypoid

And on page 6MT-6 is the blow-up of the tranny section where the :eek: oil pump for the tranny fluid is. :rolleyes:

AKLGT, I'm not mocking you tech friends, but all they did was change ratios and take out the DCCD & front LSD...enough for some people to call them completely different animals....I say they're similar units.

From 05 Impreza, WRX, STi TSM

1 - 3.636

2 - 2.375

3 - 1.761

4 - 1.346

5 - 0.971

6 - 0.756

R - 3.545

Front ratio - 3.900 LSD

Center ratio - 1.000 DCCD

Rear ratio - 3.900 LSD

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

AKLGT, I'm not harping on you personally, but why do you keep bringing up the oil pump issue, even after 2 things have been proven:

1. you haven't seen an 07 B 6MT tranny fully opened up (not saying I have)

2. I've already listed in post #19 in this very thread, on pg 6MT-6 of the 2007 SpecB FSM, in the blow up of the B 6MT, there is an oil pump listed and pictured.

I'm siding with Dr Sharp on this one. While the technical guys at SOA may very well be impressed with the skunkworks going on in AK, I seriously doubt your local service dept techs are shattering the earth with technological breakthroughs in automotive engineering.

No, not all techs are grease monkeys, agreed. There are MANY knowledgeable techs out there. Period.

But from where I'm sitting, it sounds like you're defending your techs like they are re-writing some of the engineering manuals. I understand they're not dummies, but they are impressing who? Yeah, guys from SOA...and how often on here are they revered for their smooth moves in bringing over the "good stuff" and offering it to us.

Now, if they were bringing guys in from JAPAN....well, then I'll start to think something funky is happening up there in AK.

uh did i say that??? no. I simply stated what they told me. they are different. I was told they don't know HOW different, but that they are. However, the differences would probably not matter much SINCE BOTH WOULD HANDLE A LOT OF POWER.... :rolleyes:

are we done kicking the dead horse???

i thought that's what i said??? They told me there are some differences, however, both would handle a lot of power, so probably would depend on what's more available or cheaper. Being that there are a few 6MT STI trannies around the shop, I would assume it'd be cheaper for one of those. i could be wrong.

and again.. i think we've gone over this and said in 20 different ways.....

this thread is stupid now

yes, you are absolutely correct. I think we have established that though the STI 6MT is SLIGHTLY different from the Spec B 6MT, it is not enough to make any real differences (unless someone wants to add DCCD) to their LGT (as Hammer Down has done) since both are fully capable of handling a lot of power.

CLOSED

Archived