LegacyGT.com

??? Is 6MT in Spec B same as Sti???

amg996

And SOA employees don't have the best track record in terms of information.

I would agree in general but the two techs that AKLGT is speaking of are definitely exceptions to the rule... they are regularly called upon by SOA because of their experience.

In addition both are big into tuning and our local dealership (where they work) does a lot of none warranty work so they see more then most techs.

There biggest down fall is one of them tends to go into WAY MORE DETAIL then anyone needs to know (you know who I mean Hope);)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Subaru can afford to make two drastically different low volume 6MTs.

Anyone got part numbers for the each respective transmissions?

6MT of spec. B definitely looks alot beefier then the 5MT but is the structure exactly the same as the STI 6MT?

I'm not 100% sure.

Is the transmission actually "made" by Subaru, I know some other manufacturers outsource to companies that sell the same tranny to different makes. For example back when I was driving Hyundais I know the Tib 6mt is not made by Hyundai but this other company that also sells it to Nissan.

Is the transmission actually "made" by Subaru, I know some other manufacturers outsource to companies that sell the same tranny to different makes. For example back when I was driving Hyundais I know the Tib 6mt is not made by Hyundai but this other company that also sells it to Nissan.

Yeah, like how the Tremec T56 is used in the camaro, corvette, mustang, and viper. Im pretty sure Subaru makes their own though.

I would agree in general but the two techs that AKLGT is speaking of are definitely exceptions to the rule... they are regularly called upon by SOA because of their experience.

In addition both are big into tuning and our local dealership (where they work) does a lot of none warranty work so they see more then most techs.

There biggest down fall is one of them tends to go into WAY MORE DETAIL then anyone needs to know (you know who I mean Hope);)

yes, i know. LOL. but he's built my car and when he says i need to do something to it, i gotta listen. He's been 100% right every time.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I bet day-old bread they are the same.

And SOA employees don't have the best track record in terms of information.

as ralph said, my techs are NOT your average dealership service technician. :rolleyes:

don't know too many techs who build 9 sec cars or wrench out a full sti swapped conversion, engine swap and all, build roll cages, custom 3" exhausts, etc in their garage, our garage, or any other place they can.... not to mention do get regular calls from SOA to ask what to do or what something is and how to fix it.

We are very lucky to have these techs at our shop, because it would suck if we had your average joe idiot who is only learned what he saw in a handbook. we don't have PDX or TDC or any other tuning shop but one, however when it does come to Subaru's, if you want that GT35R and FMIC with custom work done, you go to these guys to do it.

haha i dont think lsd and dccd were part of the deal. that would be pretty sweeet

Sweet in deed. STi 6MT w/ DCCD & front LSD to go with the rear LSD. Make the GT an animal out of the GT in the snow. :icon_twis Having all 4 wheels drive at the same time. Make all the differance. Not just two in the back & one in the front.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

@ AKLGT:

Why so secretive? :lol:

How is the pump driven? Is it something specific to 06+ STI perhaps?

And do they mean that gears are stronger?

No my 05 STi 6MT in my 05 GT as a gear oil pump, drivin off a gear mounted on the center diff.

Mike

Having all 4 wheels drive at the same time. Make all the differance. Not just two in the back & one in the front.

Mike

Unless there is unequal traction between the fronts, the open diff will apply power to both wheels. If conditions are very slippery, having a front wheel that has not exceeded the available surface friction is a good thing when it comes to steering input.

Unless there is unequal traction between the fronts, the open diff will apply power to both wheels. If conditions are very slippery, having a front wheel that has not exceeded the available surface friction is a good thing when it comes to steering input.

That is very true.

It is what makes the LGT with an open front diff easy to power-steer in winter.

Of course the STI has DCCD..........even better............I want that!:)

gear housing assembly or case for spec-B:

#32114AA140

gear housing assembly or case for 04-07 STI:

#32114AA080

gear housing assembly or case for 08 STI:

#32114AA180

So it looks like something is different. Could be identical in every way except for some machining for DCCD. The pics that are available all show no difference.

I got a chance to take a look at a STI tranny up close. From outward appearances everything seems to be exactly the same between the STI and spec. B case. Unless, there is some super special interior ribbing I didn't see on the STI tranny that the spec. B 6MT doesn't have.

I willing to bet there is only small interior differences to allow for the DCCD inside of the case on the newer DCCD STI 6MT.

IIRC the STI in Japan had a 6MT without DCCD. I wonder what the part number for that case is...

I willing to bet there is only small interior differences to allow for the DCCD inside of the case on the newer DCCD STI 6MT.

A agree. I wonder what the difference is from 04-07 to 08 STI.

IIRC the STI in Japan had a 6MT without DCCD. I wonder what the part number for that case is...

Can anybody source those numbers?

No my 05 STi 6MT in my 05 GT as a gear oil pump, drivin off a gear mounted on the center diff.

Mike

i believe the 07 is different. which is what we have so that's what i have to compare to. I know when we had an 05 opened up, the techs were pointing and telling me what was different between our 07 and that one. as i've said, i don't really remember what the differences were.

I don't think the engineers would need to call and ask anyone which gearbox is stronger... experience does not equate to knowledge.

:lol: they do when it comes to modified cars and Subarus. :rolleyes:

You really think that the engineers who designed these gearboxes don't know what they can handle? Wow... there is really no respect for this profession. I always forget that everyone is an expert when they have a keyboard in front of them.

and do you really not think that there are techs out there that actually MIGHT know wtf they are doing and talking about? That all dealership techs simply are too stupid to know how to work on more than just a factory airbox? :rolleyes:

we are simply saying that our techs we have are not like most techs. they do know what they are doing, one has his automotive engineering degree, they build fast cars, they OWN fast cars, it's not uncommon for SOA to call upon them for their input on hard cases, etc. is it so hard to believe for you??

I certainly hope the Subaru engineers know wtf they're doing when they design these cars. I'm sure they know people will alter them, modify them, etc. However, they don't get their little hands dirty every day immersed in grease, grime, and road tar to see first hand what their engineering accomplished.

When SOA reps make a special trip to the service department to meet and greet the techs, watch them as they work on people's cars at an after hours event tailored to modify our cars, they seem a little more impressed than just the run of the mill service dept. When they are working on an STI tranny swap into a 97 Outback Sport Wagon, or installing a FMIC onto a bugeye, it's a little more impressive than changing the oil. if it weren't so special, they'd not bother bringing 8 of their SOA reps to watch, learn, and talk to these people who are doing all this, while still making money for Subaru. this is the local dealer service dept and their techs, not a performance shop.

Unless there is unequal traction between the fronts, the open diff will apply power to both wheels.

Yes & no, if it was, you'll should be able to do a two wheel burn out with a open diff. with equal traction. But you can't. If I remember right . If your car as enough power to smoke tires with a open diff. It will smoke the ring gear side tire first. And when I was at the drag strip. With My GT, w/ 5MT. I always spon the drivers side front tire at launch & chirp the same tire in 2nd & 3rd. A open diff doesn't truly put power to both wheels with equal traction. When push to the extreme it will favor the ring gear side.

If conditions are very slippery, having a front wheel that has not exceeded the available surface friction is a good thing when it comes to steering input.

If that was the true, all rally car's would have open diffs in the front. So they can get though the corners better , right. I think not.

Back to your quote on steering input. If your have one wheel not exceeding & the other exceeding [spinning]available traction. All the power is going to the spinning wheel, but we all know the open diff powers the wheel with the least traction. That why vehicle with open diff get stuck a lot easier the vehicle with LSD.

MIke

I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing. I'm saying that experience and "know-how" won't tell you which transmission is the more capable one. Sure trial and error could tell you but as others have stated, the spec.B transmission has not been explored anywhere near the extent that the STi transmission has.
lol

Archived