LegacyGT.com

Narrowing down to a new LGT

Hey all,

Some of you will have read a few of my previous threads. My wife and I are looking to replace her current car, and have been looking in the 25-30k range. We've looked all over creation trying to find out "the right car" for her.

The basics: Must be sporty and semi-luxurious. Leather and heated seats are a big plus. Lumbar support and power seats are a strong positive as well. A manual transmission must be available. The rear seat must be reasonable in size and able to fit a child seat. A folding rear seat is pretty much a requirement.

After that, dual climate control a big help. Memory seats are nice. A smooth engine, clutch, and shifter are a big help.

So...we have looked at or test drove the following: Used Acura TSX and TL, new Infiniti G35 (top o' the price range), Used BMW 330i, Audi A3/A4, VW GTI and Passat, new Honda Accord (I know it's not sporty), MazdaSpeed 3, Volvo S40, Subaru WRX, and Subaru Legacy GT.

The only ones left on the list at this time at the Acura TSX (not test driven, but thoroughly sat in) and the Subaru Legacy GT.

I've been a huge fan of the LGT since it came out in 2005. My wife test drove a 2007 model with SI-Drive and had a huge grin on her face every time she punched the gas. The 2008 model addresses some of her criticisms, which were mainly around the exterior styling. (I've always found it attractive in an unassuming manner, the 2008 definitely adds some pizzazz in our eyes).

One of the "last things" that put the LGT ahead in our eyes is the current price offerings. I saw an offer on a 2008 LGT 5-speed with spoiler for 25,400 (to be honest, not sure if that includes destination).

If this pricing remains/improves, which I can't see it getting more expensive, I am unsure if my wife and I will be waiting too long.

Her car, a 2003 Saturn Ion, is starting to produce an ominous "clunk" when driving. We're going to get that diagnosed soon. If the answer is bad, I think we'll make a move shortly.

I just wanted to share my process with everyone. It's impressive that Subaru has remained such a strong competitor to what I have listed above, at least to this consumer.

Of course, sway bars and a Cobb AP would be on the Christmas list :)

Joe

Sounds like you are looking in the right place. My Subarus have allways been great cars! There is one thing however that doesn't meet your criteriea (unless it has changed for the '08's or you are looking for a wagon); the Legacy sedan's back seat doesn't fold down, it just has a pass through behind arm rest.

Sounds like you are looking in the right place. My Subarus have allways been great cars! There is one thing however that doesn't meet your criteriea (unless it has changed for the '08's or you are looking for a wagon); the Legacy sedan's back seat doesn't fold down, it just has a pass through behind arm rest.

That is only true for 05-06, they fold down starting in 07

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Heheh...as you saw, the LGT was off of any real lists until 07 and the 60/40 split that began then...

One thing I'm curious about. I've read that memory seats are optional, and I've seen them on the SpecB's, but I don't see them as an option on the LGT 5-speed. Am I missing something?

Nope, just that Subaru added options to the Spec-B to make you spend more on the whole package.

Memory seats are not an option on the LGT, but come standard on the Spec-B. Along with Navi - optional on LGT Autos, NOT available on LGT 5MT - Standard on the Spec-B

The nice thing about the rear seat is that it's actually 60/40/PT - it has a pass-through also. This may be more standard than I realize, but I thought it was cool :) And you can fit a whole sheet of plywood with a couple of cuts ;)

If you have kids (I'm guessing you do since you need to fit a child seat) you might want to consider a wagon.

The only Legacy that would fit your needs would be an XT Outback Limited (turbo and available manual transmission). Not quite as sporty as the GT because of the suspension, but you can't get a GT wagon in 2008 (and a manual hasn't been offered in the GT wagon since 2005).

Don't have kids, but my wife's criteria for the car is because she wants to keep it for awhile (so do I!). She likes rear doors that open wide and a spacious back seat to insert a child seat into :)

We looked at wagons and the like for awhile, but a sedan really meets all the same needs except for large boxes and such. (At least, for us).

Thanks though!

An interesting note: My wife drove a 2006 BMW 330i 6-speed (255 HP). She felt, and I agree, that it was less exhilirating and sporty feeling than an LGT. It was loaded up with premium and sport package and reselling for 36k...and she liked it alot less than her LGT test drive. :)

Thank God!

Joe

I don't think you can go wrong with a Legacy. It seems to fit your requirements like a glove.

If you do any sort of driving in the winter (which I'm sure you do in PA), the AWD is worth the move to Subaru alone. The large availability of aftermarket parts and accessories is just icing on the cake. :)

Of course, sway bars and a Cobb AP would be on the Christmas list :)

In my opinion, be weary of modding these vehicles. A lot of guys on this site do and sound mechanically capable. But if you're married, have a kiddo and will be buying a new car and stretching your budget, then risking voiding the warranty doesn't seem worth it. My advice - if you go with Subie or any other brand - get it loaded with what you want and just drive it and enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello JoeFromPA, sounds like both wifey and you are on the right track and she's especially due for 1 helluva upgrade from the ion (not knocking it here, this saturn must have suited your needs). Anyway I just wanted throw my 2 bits in and ask if you've considered another option: the 08 3.0R? Granted it is ~30k, at least 1 was sold here about there or maybe just under that range......Just an idea......peace

Hello JoeFromPA, sounds like both wifey and you are on the right track and she's especially due for 1 helluva upgrade from the ion (not knocking it here, this saturn must have suited your needs). Anyway I just wanted throw my 2 bits in and ask if you've considered another option: the 08 3.0R? Granted it is ~30k, at least 1 was sold here about there or maybe just under that range......Just an idea......peace
he wanted a manual though.. 3.0Rs are auto only. Although it's a good choice if that's not a deal breaker.

Archived