LegacyGT.com

Is this a good break-in process? (oil related)

The Subaru dealer told me not to switch to synthetic too soon because the engine won't have a change to seat properly. So, how is this? (looking for recommendations plz)

1) 1st oil change at 1250 miles. Putting in conventional valvoline 5W-30

2) 2nd oil change at 5000 miles. Putting in synthetic BLEND valvoline 5W-30

3) 3rd oil change at 8750 miles. Switching to M1 EP Full synthetic 5W-30

Any thoughts?

I am thinking that the blend might be a good way to slowly acclimate the car to synthetic, and I figure that by 5000 miles, the engine will be fairly well broken in...?

Once the rings are seated you can theoretically go straight to synthetic. In reality the vast majority of that happens in under 100 miles. However, I like to go at least about 5000-7500 miles before switching to syn. Skip the synthetic blend step. Most syn blend are 85% dino oil and only 15% syn anyways.

I have gone to synthetic on 2 cars with the first change at 500 miles. A third car was filled with synthetic prior to delivery. No problems with any of them. Mobil 1 (the devil) will tell you they are good to go with synthetic right from the factory.

makes sense. my dad's benz runs m1 from the factory. I just figured since the subi service guy said there were problems in the past, I would play it cautious...

why the devil? lol

yep georgetown subaru. stamford was the pits.

How so? I only went to the stamford subaru to get some crush washers and check out a tribeca. georgetown charges a bit too much for crush washers and my buddy where I can get a better discount on the washers is at dan perkins.

the sales department at stamford was shady. they weren't very straight up about their sales process and threw a lot of curveballs. For example, I was interested in a trade-in, so they checked out the car and said they would get back to me the next day. They call me the next day and tell me to go onto their website to see how much my trade is worth. I found out that they were just trying to buy time to see if another buyer worked out first. Another thing they did, is that I was going to buy my spec B from them. Before I made a commitment to them financially, I wanted to see the car. The spec B that they were trying to sell me was a car the owner had been playing around with and had 1500 miles, but since it was never registered, they were marketing it as new. Really dirty things....I wouldn't go near that sales dept with a 10 foot pole.

Once the rings are seated you can theoretically go straight to synthetic. In reality the vast majority of that happens in under 100 miles. However, I like to go at least about 5000-7500 miles before switching to syn. Skip the synthetic blend step. Most syn blend are 85% dino oil and only 15% syn anyways.

What's the benefit of using synthetic vs the blend? Increased power? Better mpg? I typically change my oil within the 1st 2500 miles on new cars.

• 2 weeks later...
for my 08' LGT I did oil change with Castorl GTX at 500miles, then another oil change at 2500miles. Ill probably do another oil change at 5000 with GTX. then get on a 3000mi oil change interval until I hit 10k miles. 10k miles i will swap to Mobil 1 synthetic.

We just bought a new CX-7 and I did the first oil change at 750 miles. Factory fill on the Mazda was a syn blend, so I stuck with that for the first oil change and will stay with a blend for the next 2 changes. At 6750 miles I will switch over to full synthetic (pennzoil platinum).

I believe that synthetic offers better thermal protection which is a MUST for a turbo car.

We just bought a new CX-7 and I did the first oil change at 750 miles. Factory fill on the Mazda was a syn blend, so I stuck with that for the first oil change and will stay with a blend for the next 2 changes. At 6750 miles I will switch over to full synthetic (pennzoil platinum).

I believe that synthetic offers better thermal protection which is a MUST for a turbo car.

Congrats on the Mazda. Thanks for the info. regarding synthetic in turbo cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice...I was wondering about the Synthetic blends vs straight. Had no idea that the regular synthetic was blended anyways.

I'll start using synthetic on my next oil change when I get to 9K miles.

What about filters? Pep Boys only stocks the Puralator oil filters for my model. Any tips? I hear K & N and Bosch are good but you had to special order, not normally in stock.

Archived