LegacyGT.com

What's with all the BMW fanbois on Subaru forums?

Not sure if this is the right area, but I just don't get it. Everytime someone mentions something like a Audi, VW , G35x, or even a LSTi BMW fanbois come out of the wood work. On the two subie forums I'm on (this one and NASIOC) BMW can do no wrong, and no other manufacturer can hold a candle to BMW. There are times when I forget that I am even on a subie site cause of all the BMW leg humping. I've driven a few BMW's and was never all that impressed with them so what gives? Why is there so much love for BMW on a Subaru forum?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would guess that most LGT guys are not only in love with their subys, but have love for all sorts of other automobiles. BMW does make many a fine vehicle and that is why I think you see this sort of stuff.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I'm a car guy to, but like a thread I started about the new RS4 cabriolet that we just got in. IIRC with in 10 posts someone already says its boring and I'd rather get a M3 cabriolet. I lost count how many guys said if SOA brought a LSTi to the US and priced it in the high $30k range they'd just get a 335i. At times especially on NASIOC its like a BMW forum in there instead of a Subaru one. Its like people settled on a Subaru and couldn't get into a BMW around here sometimes.

Not sure if this is the right area, but I just don't get it. Everytime someone mentions something like a Audi, VW , G35x, or even a LSTi BMW fanbois come out of the wood work. On the two subie forums I'm on (this one and NASIOC) BMW can do no wrong, and no other manufacturer can hold a candle to BMW. There are times when I forget that I am even on a subie site cause of all the BMW leg humping. I've driven a few BMW's and was never all that impressed with them so what gives? Why is there so much love for BMW on a Subaru forum?

it depends on how you drove the car..

owning an E30 myself, i've come to realize that there's nothing wrong with RWD and it's becoming more apparent that AWD is making me worse as a driver. Granted that it's nice to have a drivetrain that puts the power down effectively (at least we all hope), but it's just two different animals serving two different aspects.

I personally havent drove an AWD BMW, but if the stock BMWs are understeering as they are, I can only imagine that I'll be plowing some more.

I try not to look at the subjective stuff when it comes to comparing stuff like looks and amentities, everyone is different about that. But I do know is that when it comes down to the performance, it was an easy choice for me to pick a 2005 Legacy GT over the BMW 325xi at that time.

Don't worry, people can leg hump all they want, but it's a different story when you start driving it. Each car manufacturer has their points and advantages over each other to a certain extent. The rest are just opinions that you just need to tone out.

Keefe

Guest heightsgtltd

I think that all things being equal, many LGT owners would buy BMWs as they feel they are a logical extension of what makes the LGT good.

However, since the BMWs are at least 1.5-2 times the price of the LGT, people do not.

I actually don't mind the amber look, but I do prefer teh white/red of the Subaru's.

See BMW makes a few very special cars, the M5 and M6 come to mind, but them all their bread and butter cars ar just mediocre.

I remember when the came oout with the 318i hatch. What a disaster that was! It was worse than a hyundai back in those days!

X

---

Have you driven a new 335 or 535? I have trouble believing that they are mediocre

New 335 for a quick ride at where my brother in law works. Is nice, but really ,is it worth the money? He is trying to convice me to lease one. Would I ever buy a new one? No. Lease, maybe.

I like to see how these cars with the turbo engines are going to survive the long run, and how mod friendly will they be. I don't know, I just don't like them enough to own. If you gave it to me for super cheap or free, then I would be riding one!

X

---

I drove another member's 335i. It is a nice car for sure, it is quick, it got nimble handling, it got brakes...the seats wrap you up...IT IS NICE. But I dislike the dashboard colours, I dislike the straight up (almost like a cheap Impala) dashboard (cause I like things to be angled towards you, to somehow attempt to wrap you up - racecar style) I do not like how the handles and the arm rests slope down, it is smaller inside compared to the Legacy and the trunk is surely one less bag if not 2. Did I mention that engine is running hot like hell ? Touch the hood - you could cook an egg. I dislike the clutch...And I didn't even start talking about the price.

Beemers are cool and all, but I don't like the direction they went with the styling. I think the last gen M3 is one of the best looking cars ever.

I'd rather catch some one sleeping w/ my LGT. Besides a couple cheap mods, and 335s are toast. And you'll save a few stacks.

I'd rather catch some one sleeping w/ my LGT. Besides a couple cheap mods, and 335s are toast. And you'll save a few stacks.

Of course with a few cheap mods on a 335i, and you'll be lucky to even be able to make out those tail lights as they become a small spec on the horizon.:lol:

I like the way BMW's drive, and I used to sell them. The LGT is a great car for the money and in 2005 was an easy choice over a 325i or even a 330i. Given more money for a car I don't think the LGT/Spec B is in the same league as a 335i, but for the price difference I don't expect it to be.

Of course with a few cheap mods on a 335i, and you'll be lucky to even be able to make out those tail lights as they become a small spec on the horizon.:lol:

I like the way BMW's drive, and I used to sell them. The LGT is a great car for the money and in 2005 was an easy choice over a 325i or even a 330i. Given more money for a car I don't think the LGT/Spec B is in the same league as a 335i, but for the price difference I don't expect it to be.

I wouldn't call BWM mods cheap.

I think the easy answer is that we are all car enthusiasts.

This is true, but anytime anyone brings up a MB or an Audi they are instantly flamed and whatever car that is mentioned is instantly compared to either the M3 or touched by the finger of god 335i. You also never see anyone ever really bashing a BMW either. I guess I really don't get why people have the BMW can do no wrong additude even when there are known problems with them. Those same problems are invisible or attempted to be instantly dismissed when it comes to a BMW. You mention Audi, with in a few posts someone will talk about reliablity and then get into the whole 00-02 S4 "turbo problem", or 02-03 ignition coil problem, or even some friend of a friend/someone they know has one and its always in the shop (yet no one can give actual examples of said mass problems). I've driven a M roadster, a M3, a M5, and even an M6 and wasn't overly impressed (I'll fully admitt that I am no race car driver). THey were are very tail happy and if the ground was wet the back end would easily come around. Yet everyone talks about how great the handling is. Its probably just me, but I just don't buy into the whole BMW thing.

The 335 engine has ~30% larger displacement than the turbo H4. OEM LGTs are pre-modded right out of the box to offer similar levels of performance that are often found in NA 3.5l 6 cylinder motors. However, once you start modding that larger displacement engine you get to the truism, "There is no replacement for displacement."

The Spec.B does get into the same league as the 335i but they play different positions. I once saw a "one on one" competition between Kareem and Dr.J. Both are/were remarkable Hall of Fame players from a straight talent perspective but in the "one on one" Kareem totally pwn3d Dr. J who had no defence against the infamous "skyhook" despite having more offensive moves than a 400lb fatty at a jigging competition. They were in the same league but played different roles.

Archived