LegacyGT.com

1990 Vw Corrado

Anybody have (or had) 1 of these? Understood they have 4.0L supercharged v6 and front wheel drive and coupe only (?). I know I can search on the www but I'm asking here for some input/feedback about this car......Thank you......benCOB

Had a G60 version for a very short period of time 1991....waaaaaayyy to many issues with the car & it was too bad bc I really liked the style.

The largest engine offered here in the states was the 2.8l V6 it was rated around 180hp if I remember correctly.

There is a guy here local with a 94 thats turbocharged & it's pretty darn quick. If I remember correctly he puts down about 300whp & doesn't even have 10k into the car:):)

The thing thats nice is they do make a very good track car & the initial cost is pretty low. As with all smaller VW's though you have to really get use to the inside rear wheel going airborne in tight corners. Once you get used to it though it simply isn't a issue.

It's getting harder & harder to find one in good condition.....

I'm not saying this is a great kit but this gives you a idea of how cheaply you can make really good power with this lightweight....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-GOLF-CORRADO-VR6-V6-12V-T3-T4-TURBO-MANIFOLD-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260180110439QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Still like the lines ALOT....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/248000-248999/248011_74_full.jpg

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

My friend has one...

The most front heavy car I've ever driven I think my friend said the weight distrubution is 70/30!!!

He's got the 2.8 VR6 model. Funky styling but the interior is a bit weak. It's got a spolier that moves up and down automatically or with a switch.

A bit to heavy to be a proper fwd track car but nice toruing car.

Thanks for the input fellas......I asked because I noticed 1 in our area and actually inquired about it. Understood it was "deserted" to a repair shop for a 300$ computer part/repair. The owner says it is project car and he's asking 1k$ for it. One of the young mechanics brought out the keys and started it so I know it is running. I might take another look and maybe drive it......peace

If the body & interior is in good shape with no rust, thats a great deal.......

Get it & throw this in it, if I only had a 3 car garage.....:(:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-9L-VR6-VW-GOLF-JETTA-CORRADO-ENGINE-MOTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ005QQitemZ150180206805QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you can get them to add the turbocharger & bench tune it for you for 3500 incl. shipping you would REALLY have a sleeper. I would see if the shop would install this in the car if you paid the asking price of 1k....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-VW-GOLF-JETTA-CORRADO-VR6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150179856537QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You would have a quick little setup for under 5k that will turn more than a few heads.......

Warning though.......

Fixing up older VW's can become just as addicting or even more so than modding a subaru.....

Parts are sooooooo CHEAP:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

A Corrado is a car that you have to want. Not just a car that you think you like. you have to WANT ONE.

Perfect examples are becoming so rare these days, I've seen a few less then 40,000 mile SLC (VR6) models sell for over 16,000 still...

1,000 dollars for a Corrado is NOT a bargain. You will need to throw in another 10,000 dollars to truly be happy with the condition of the car.

DO NOT BUY A CORRADO WITHOUT PAYING FOR A PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION! (yes I'm yelling.)

If you WANT and DESIRE to have a Corrado, get one. If you're not dedicated to fixing every singel issue that comes up - don't get one.

The problem with these cars is not that they are unreliable - the vr6 is a very reliable motor (don't bother with the g60 unless you have funds to fully rebuild it and the $2000 charger rebuild...) The problem with these cars is that even a 94 Corrado is 13 freaking years old.

I'm not giving up my Corrado. In fact I just bought stainless exhaust and downpipe, have all the leather out in the spare bedroom getting re-conditioned, and am doing new internals this spring. Suspension is next fall probably (depending on how well google pays this winter... :)

Oh...

If you buy a Corrado that has been abused the following WILL happen eventually:

Broken sunroof (tilts but won't slide, gets stuck, won't close, etc. Fix with newer model parts, metal is stronger)

Heater core will leak. (DIY is about 6-8 hours of work if you've never done it before...)

power windows will fail

power seatbelts will fail

power spoiler will fail

aux- electric after-run water pump will fail

oem waterpump will fail.

timing chain guides will fail

door handles will break

hood latch / cable / ends will break

parking brake lever on caliper will sieze

This is the sort of thing to expect from an abused example. A well taken care of one should have few if any of these problems.

Mine has only had the heater core issue, water pumps, and sunroof problems. After repair, it's been all good for the past 5 years of daily driving.

I've put 40,000 miles since I bought it and redline the vr6 every time i drive. It only smokes as much as I did when i bought it. (nothing wrong with high revs if the engine is ready for it - not cold still)

my buddie's neigbor had a GMC typhoon. All wheel drive turboed v6 suv (like a cross between a GMC jimmy and a BMW X5 lol. Im not too sure on the specs i just remember when i was a kid that thing looked nasty, in a good way

• 6 months later...
The same young man who works at the repair shop and who showed me this car has ownership of it now, and good for him. Since these cool VWs are few and far between I spotted it 1 day whilst taking the longer/scenic route way back home from work. I stopped by and "T" had time to reshow it to me in its updated condition. This version has the 1.8L supercharged engine, putting out (I think) more hp than my na Legacy. "T" has replaced the engine, redone some of the electrical and even put a remote start on it. It is now his daily driver and a very affordable, fun project car. He plans to slap a turbocharged engine into it......I'm just glad to see it in the hands of an aprreciative and able owner, I told him he'd better not sell it......

Right, if it's a 90 then it will def be a 1.8L supercharged car. The VR6 didn't make it into the Corrado till late 91.

I had one in college after obsessing over them in high school. But as imstillatwork stated it is not a car people like to own, you really have to want to own it in order to put up with all the stuff that is either broken or will break. Most commonly the supercharger, the sunroof, the automatic seatbelts, the ignition lock, the heater core, and powered spoiler. All of which (except the supercharger and sunroof) were broken on my well taken care of example.

Even though I loved mine dearly, I gave up on it after 3 years of ownership...the breaking point being the heatercore. Oh and mine also had the lovely bottom end rod knock, which was very common on the G60. It had it though my ownership so it's possible to live with the noise for while, but who knows how long before the engine bit the dust. Trust me, if you aren't mechanically inclined or have deep pockets, I'd say pass on it. :( I do still miss mine though.

I've owned over 10 G60's. The things to look for when buying one is a good charger, good motor mounts and make sure the 3rd gear sycro is not blown in the 5spd cars. Those are the main problems I have seen in the past. I used to be a vw fanatic. I had 2 show cars. One a 90 G60 all orginal with a stage 1 kit on it (pulley, fuel,intake and exhasut = 178 RWHP) The car was fairly quick considering it's weight to power ratio. The parts for these cars go for good money and are somewhat hard to find so find one that needs minimal repairs. I used to part the other cars out and make back more that the cars would resale for. Check out vwvortex.com good luck

• 4 months later...

Saw it a while back with a for sale by owner 500$ sign on it. Stopped to check it out, driver door was ajar so I opened it to be met with a humid/stale/wet smell. Called the owner who explained she took on water from the surge caused by IKE. Their home also got ~2 feet, as did many houses in the same neighborhood......

UPDATE 2:

Saw owner a few days ago and stopped by to say hello. He had stripped her out completely so everything could dry out. He said he may keep her and possibly drop a vr6 engine in it for an upgrade......

UPATE 3 > SHE'S GONE:

Returning home from work today saw owner + car + buyers, helped them push her onto a car dolly. At least she's staying in the Houston area and going to a home where she'll be taken care of......Buyers/new owners have several corrados + a vw cabriolet (forgot model) + vw pick up truck......1 of them showed me his vr6 coorado photos on his cell phone, red with 18" wheels, black carbon hood......

Just another note:

unless you know that you want a Corrado and all it's issues, try to buy one closer to the $5000 and up mark. And expect to drop around $5000 into it in it's first two years. DO not buy a G60 model UNLESS you have PROOF that the charger was rebuilt, or you know a lot about that engine. The VR6 engine is as bullet proof as any other vr6 up until now. Anyways, buying a Corrado that cheap without being prepared to sink literally nearly 6-7K into it will just disappoint you, and make you hate Corrados.

On a side side note: I figured I'm never selling mine, so I started in on it since this thread was started. I should be getting the motor back this weekend or next. Fully rebuilt from the bottom up, bearings, pistons (+1mm), tanked and painted block, bigger valves, cam,fully rebuilt head. The thing is literally going to be like a brand new engine. Also got stainless 2.5" exhaust, stainless downpipe, rebuilt the front end (every bushing and link is new), stiffer motor mounts, etc etc..

maybe later I'll do something to the legacy - but google only pays me enough for one car at a time right now :)

Archived