LegacyGT.com

Official 07/08 Mammoth Mtn Thread =b

SnoDork

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people here freak out to much when snow hits the ground.

The whole 7 hour drive from the moment I hit Washington all the way up to Fernie BC it was snowing and the roads were covered not only in snow but ice aswell. You couldn't see the lane lines at all or blacktop for that matter.

people just cruise along at 50mph and thats that. California people freak to easily.

isn't it better that people freak and overreact than they underreact, drive beyond their abilities and wreck? kinda of like the 40 car pileups you hear about because people didn't use common sense when driving in fog/poor visibility.

at any rate, my snow driving experience is pretty limited. my LGT did fine in a few inches of powder 2 seasons ago but i've since lowered it on F1s so i don't think it's an option now. wife drives a highlander which we have chains for and the other option is to rent a outback and take that instead. for someone with limited experience, I would imagine FWD + chains may be superior to AWD without. now all of this may be moot if Merv's point about the weather holds up and no real snow falls in the interim.

Silverfool...in your case I'd take the Highlander. Even though it hasn't really snowed up at Mammoth for almost 2 weeks now.

And yes people down here do freak out AND don't use common sense. I know what MiniStiGuy was trying to say (he wasn't trying to say we should all start rally drifitng up the mountain).

So is anyone interested in doing a Mammoth run sometime over the Prez Weekend period?

I've gone up there every year during that time for the last 4. Contrary to what most people believe it's not that crowded (maybe only on Sat). Even when you see a long line it's only at the base and you just take the Singles line.

Once you leave the bottom area the entire mountain's yours!:) Mammoth is such a huge mountain that it can handle all the visitors no problem. Actually I had my best outing of the season over Prez Weekend last year. If I remember correctly we hardly had to do any waiting and it was so fun I rode til my legs almost fell off haha!

Silverfool...in your case I'd take the Highlander. Even though it hasn't really snowed up at Mammoth for almost 2 weeks now.

And yes people down here do freak out AND don't use common sense. I know what MiniStiGuy was trying to say (he wasn't trying to say we should all start rally drifitng up the mountain).

you obviously weren't there last weekend. it snowed all weekend. also, monday morning was snowing pretty good when we left. the bad part was the wind was blowing pretty hard. most of the mountain was closed on sunday, at least in the morning when i went to canyon lodge.

As I've stated before, I think of Mt High and Bear/Summit as about the same *flamesuit*. Mainly because Mt High is probably an hour shorter drive for me. If I really want to have a good time, then I'll drive to Mammoth. If Mammoth had a free b-day ticket, I'd probably take the day off and go.

sucks to have a bday in May. maybe i can get a free mountain bike lift ride at summit ;p.

we need some hidden gems here for So Cal people when they hit Mammoth.

-everyone knows bout Schaat's

-the breakfast place is good too

-for my friends whom rent, i take 'em to Ricks for the best deals on beginner gear.

anyone else have any places they'd recommend?

The stove - Breakfast, Yummy! Prepare to WAIT on the weekends

Clocktower for drinks - Closes @ 11pm, perfect for riding the next day

Novato's - Good food...pricey, took the GF (now wifey) and her parents there one summer....OH gotta try Fly Fishing in the summer & Golf too!!

Table Top Ms Pacmans - Located @ Gomez's, Clock Tower & the STove...FYI

Nick & Willies Pizza is WAY OVER PRICED...

Angel's for some Ribs & Chicken...and if you're a beer drinker...that's where you wanna be!!

That's all i got for now...

~Sucka-Duck~

As I've stated before, I think of Mt High and Bear/Summit as about the same *flamesuit*. Mainly because Mt High is probably an hour shorter drive for me. If I really want to have a good time, then I'll drive to Mammoth. If Mammoth had a free b-day ticket, I'd probably take the day off and go.

Dream on, my friend!:lol:

Haha yeah I know I was only teasing. Having a kid makes things so much more complicated.

It looks like I'll be heading up there w/ a group of people. Don't know the exact details yet but we might end up staying in Bishop on both Fri and Sat night.:icon_roll

Fo' sho' we've gotta meet up on the slopes this time so I can show you just how incompetent I am...holla!:icon_tong

Hope you had fun Merv. got up there with my family and sister's for this week and boarded Thurs/Fri. Great conditions. we had to take shifts to alternate to watch the kids. do your in-laws pull babysitting duty?

Wussed out and left Saturday trying to avoid the storm -- failed. Don't know what was scarier, whiteout 203-->395 or just doin 395 with all the rain and darkness. next time i leave late, gonna take the 14.

Snowbound, tomorrow may be a better day to go.

btw, saw a Saab wearing those "snowclaws" slippin all over the Vons Parking Lot. made me happy had the chains on.

hey there....

I've hit the last two storms up at mammoth...and let me just say, SOME People CAN NOT DRIVE in the snow! ESPECIALLY the stuppid ones and their dUmb ASS jacked up TRUCKS...WTF, all that money on your ride and YOU STILL GOTTA put on chains!!

Saturday was good, early morning riding was where it was at, right at 12pm the storm came over the mountains and began to DUMP!!, winds picked up and we were done for the day...

Hey Larry...we went up with another couple and we did shifts with the two babies, i got to ride most of the morning, stayed mostly to the park and the surronding runs...made the mistake of ending up at stump alley, what a zoo!!

It stormed all night, outback was BURRIED!, Litterally! after some diggin she was free...KC was at her wits end with the couple we went up with and just wanted to go...so we packed up and went on our way.

No sense having the wifey bite my head off too!! the storm lifted around 10am, clouds broke and lots of happy faces...driving out of mammoth was fun!! Outback 2.5i never failed us, powered through everything and was like a puma on the prowl...

Will...you got the dates for the next trip!! Make it SO!

~Sucka-Duck~

Archived