LegacyGT.com

Official 07/08 Mammoth Mtn Thread =b

SnoDork

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon, I know you are down, I am still down for a 1 day to Mammoth?:lol:

Sorry, my body's too old to take that kind of beating, unless we can hop into your car.

From my experience gas roundtrip is about $110. Split 2 way it's not bad.:) But you should really try to make your gas money & mileage worth while by staying there.

Are you kidding? Isn't that why you bought a Subaru?;)

There might still be some snow left on the road on Sat but just use your common sense and you'll be all right.

I don't roll on snow tires and don't put on chains and have never gotten stuck in Mammoth!

You still need to carry though. The CHP will ask to see the chains, even though our cars dont need them in R1/R2 conditions. I've been turned around by the cops on the drive up from Bishop because I wasn't carrying chains, even thought they weren't required on our cars at the time.

There might still be some snow left on the road on Sat but just use your common sense and you'll be all right.

I don't roll on snow tires and don't put on chains and have never gotten stuck in Mammoth!

I know, I drive a lot in the snow, but the CHP are such chain nazis :lol: . Better carry them just to be safe.

I've never gotten stopped by them up there. They just waved me by when they saw the Subaru...guess I've been lucky.

In SoCal it's a different story. The CHPs down here are chain nazis! Don't blame them though cuz most of the people don't know how to drive as soon as the weather turns foul.

So when are you going up?

That's rad! You get to spend that much time up there over the holiday period?

My buddies and I will be there 31st ~ 3rd for sure. And I'm always looking for Mammoth partners! Maybe we can hit up the mountains together this coming year.:)

Is your BP stock appearing?

I have never driven in the snow on any car...every time I've gone skiing went on a tour bus or someone else drove.

Getting the itch to break-in the Subie in the snow and will try to take some photos.

So basically as long as the chains/cables aren't mandatory...and there is not fresh powder or icy conditions, should be good to go?

What's the closest place from So Cal to get to some decent snow? Hoping to find something a lot closer than Tahoe.

I have never driven in the snow on any car...every time I've gone skiing went on a tour bus or someone else drove.

Getting the itch to break-in the Subie in the snow and will try to take some photos.

So basically as long as the chains/cables aren't mandatory...and there is not fresh powder or icy conditions, should be good to go?

What's the closest place from So Cal to get to some decent snow? Hoping to find something a lot closer than Tahoe.

Tour bus? I've never heard such option before in SoCal.:confused:

Yes, you NEED to bring your BP up to the mountains otherwise you're not doing it any justice.;)

SoCal mountain roads are usually clear w/ no restrictions. But it'd be a good idea to check with CalTrans before heading out. I've got their up to the minute road condition hotline on speed dial. Depending on your experience and how comfortable you are, it is possible to navigate through snow covered roads w/o snow tires or chains.:)

The nearest ski resort to the greater LA region is Mountain Die (High) but just from the way you see me referring to the resort you know I'm not a big fan of the place.:rolleyes:

Snow Valley is also about the same distance. But personally I go to the resorts up in the city of Big Bear Lake (mostly Bear Mountain) for day trips. They're definitely A LOT closer than Tahoe and you'd be surprised the snow condition isn't that bad (I think people bash on man-made snow too much).

Or if you insist on the real big mountain experience you can hit up Mammoth like I do. Hope this helps.

That's rad! You get to spend that much time up there over the holiday period?

My buddies and I will be there 31st ~ 3rd for sure. And I'm always looking for Mammoth partners! Maybe we can hit up the mountains together this coming year.:)

Is your BP stock appearing?

I'm here now. Conditions are great and the crowds are surprisingly reasonable. Will probably spend some more time over at June as the NYE crowds show up this weekend.

Stock looking Silver cept for STI BBSs (pretty far from stock under the hood though:)). Look for me parking over by Chair 4. Hope to see you up here. Its COOOLLLD too.. 0 deg F tonight!

Tour bus? I've never heard such option before in SoCal.:confused:

Yes, you NEED to bring your BP up to the mountains otherwise you're not doing it any justice.;)

SoCal mountain roads are usually clear w/ no restrictions. But it'd be a good idea to check with CalTrans before heading out. I've got their up to the minute road condition hotline on speed dial. Depending on your experience and how comfortable you are, it is possible to navigate through snow covered roads w/o snow tires or chains.:)

The nearest ski resort to the greater LA region is Mountain Die (High) but just from the way you see me referring to the resort you know I'm not a big fan of the place.:rolleyes:

Snow Valley is also about the same distance. But personally I go to the resorts up in the city of Big Bear Lake (mostly Bear Mountain) for day trips. They're definitely A LOT closer than Tahoe and you'd be surprised the snow condition isn't that bad (I think people bash on man-made snow too much).

Or if you insist on the real big mountain experience you can hit up Mammoth like I do. Hope this helps.

Yeah I hate Mountain High too. Only been there ONCE...right after I got back from Salt Lake City. It was a joke in comparison, made me never want to go back.

Thanks for the tip on Snow Valley and Big Bear Lake...broke right now can't afford the gas all the way to Tahoe. Sounds like a plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice... I have a feeling this weekend is going to be super packed. Good idea going to June, but seeing as how were staying walking distance from the lifts I don't think anyone will be up for the drive.

I'll be on the lookout for the Legacys but I'll be heading up in a beige lifted diesel GMC truck.

Archived