LegacyGT.com

What Oil Change Interval Do You Maintain For Your Turbo Subaru> ?

What is your turbo boxer's OCI?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What is your turbo boxer's OCI?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

3K miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Castrol (German) fully-synthetic, 0W30, for me. Purolator PureOne filter.

Wifey's WRX gets Mobil1 5W30 full-synthetic. Purolator filter.

Overkill?

Totally. :redface:

But that's the OCI I'd been brought up to swear to, religiously, so it's just what I do. :lol: Old habits are hard (impossible) to break. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Right now, trying a 10k mile OCI running AMSOIL 0w30.....

oh wait, you were looking for LGT only owners... :)

My wife right now is pretty decided on the LGT. I'm thinking that after a 2000-3000 mile break-in oil change we'll switch to a good synthetic and run 5k oil change intervals.

I imagine that Subaru's "severe duty" is imagining using a regular dino oil, and not a good synthetic. I think adding 1250 miles to the severe duty schedule, running synthetic, and not living in the arctic or the desert, that we'll be just fine :)

Joe

^ turbo boxer OCIs actually.

You know, those cars that have boat loads of torque.

All the torque in the world won't help you when my japanese appliance can pirouette around your luxo-barge :)

Ok, fine, turbo boxer engines then: When I owned my Saab 9-2x aero, I changed the oil at 5k intervals using synthetic.

Joe

3.5k mi on m1 5w30 till about half a year ago, since then 4.5k mi on GC. ive also noticed a decrease in oil consumption and my oil catch can is now actually drying up with the GC as opposed to the m1. if this keeps up i might just disconnect my oil catch can cause nothings getting in there now.

consumption w/ m1 was about .8qt per change and its now < .4qt

Pretty much the recommended 3750. Give or take a couple hundred miles either way. ;)

It's changed at the dealership I bought it from as they give free oil changes for life. I'm pretty sure they use Castrol dino.

I'm starting to check my oil consistently (never did before) and I think the last fill was overfilled. I thought it was just hard to read the dipstick but this time it looks like I can actually see a line of oil.

All the torque in the world won't help you when my japanese appliance can pirouette around your luxo-barge :)

Ok, fine, turbo boxer engines then: When I owned my Saab 9-2x aero, I changed the oil at 5k intervals using synthetic.

Joe

A Jap FWD vehicle dance circles around arguably the best engine/AWD package in the motoring world? C'mon. FWD FTL.

Them's fightin' words! :lol:

Haha, the civic has really come far. I drove my buddy's Si the other day. IMO it still lacks something special to set it apart from the rest (i.e. a turbo boxer engine w/ AWD). In all honesty though, it is a fun little car... even if it is wrong wheel drive ;)

lol

3.5k mi on m1 5w30 till about half a year ago, since then 4.5k mi on GC. ive also noticed a decrease in oil consumption and my oil catch can is now actually drying up with the GC as opposed to the m1. if this keeps up i might just disconnect my oil catch can cause nothings getting in there now.

consumption w/ m1 was about .8qt per change and its now < .4qt

I'm the exact flip ->

After I switched to GC 0W30, I started getting a little consumption.

My car held steady on M1 5W30 and 10W30 ever since she turned 10K miles (that's my - again totally non-scientific :p - switch-over point from dyno to synthetic). No consumption through my 3K/3 months OCIs. And Winky had been on the dyno twice, I think, during that time.

I switched to GC 0W30 about 3 oil-changes ago, and I've consistently seen about a quarter-quart's worth of consumption every OCI. :confused:

I only notice this because, again strangely enough, the GC gives me such consistent oil-pressures that I can notice such a small dip in fluid levels. When I drop to that mark, when the vehicle is fully warmed, when I come to a stop on bumpier surfaces, I can sometimes get my oil-pressure gauge's low-warning (set at 18 PSI) to trip for a brief flash.

With the Mobil1, despite a total lack of consumption, my operating oil-pressure fluctuated much more than it did with the GC. So far, my car seems to like the GC better, and since my local (and rather close-by) AutoZone stocks the GC, that's what I'm using for the time being. :)

Go figure..... :spin:

---

The wifey's WRX has zero consumption on M1 5W30.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

A Jap FWD vehicle dance circles around arguably the best engine/AWD package in the motoring world? C'mon. FWD FTL.

Now if it was a MINI, you probably wouldn't question that it would dance circles around you. Even though it is FWD :)

Yes, my 2800 pound japanese FWD car will dance circles around you in a stock vs stock configuration.

No offense, but your re92's and softly sprung stock suspension will not hold up to my car on an autocross course (hence my reference to dancing). A track with long straights? Absolutely.

But if you think I'm so enamored with my civic, why am I on an LGT board? Because I'd like to buy one with my wife. I love it's intoxicating power band and luxurious appointments for the dollar.

Joe

Now if it was a MINI, you probably wouldn't question that it would dance circles around you. Even though it is FWD :)

Yes, my 2800 pound japanese FWD car will dance circles around you in a stock vs stock configuration.

No offense, but your re92's and softly sprung stock suspension will not hold up to my car on an autocross course (hence my reference to dancing). A track with long straights? Absolutely.

But if you think I'm so enamored with my civic, why am I on an LGT board? Because I'd like to buy one with my wife. I love it's intoxicating power band and luxurious appointments for the dollar.

Joe

You're comparing a feather weight to a middle weight. FWD to AWD. A fair weather car to an all weather car. Very different beasties. That said, each has its place in the motoring world.

BTW, the OEM Spec.B comes with 18" Bridgestone 050s and a significantly better suspension.

Archived