LegacyGT.com

BDII's DIY grill walk through (ton's of pics)

I certainly will. It's about 15 degrees here right now and car is outside and grille is inside and I'm rather liking keeping it inside right now...LOL. I have to build slot cars for a race tomorrow but I hopefully will be able to install the grille on Sunday. I'm also going to do the mesh in the bottom as well and may try to do that at the same time, so look for photos on Sunday evening or Monday.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...I went out and put it in because I was also curious to see how it turned out. I think it looks pretty good but again, I don't necessarily do things for aesthetic purposes but for functionality. I have to coolers coming that will be lined up behind the open spots in the grille so I needed the extra air flow.

I apologize for the car being pretty dirty. It's the way it came back from the last track day and I haven't had time to clean it up much because of so much travel for work. The emblem in the center doesn't look so orange in person but unfortunately the photos make it look that way.

You'll most likely notice the splitter underneath the front valance. I built that out of 1/4" lexan and it's tied across the bottom of the valance in 8 places with 1.5" one inch diameter aluminum spacers. It's also tied in to the subframe behind the rack and pinion. I can change the angle of the splitter using custom washers I made that have graduated angles, depending on how hot the day is and how much nose pressure I need in order for it to turn the way I want. I have it sealed up at the spacers with more aluminum and force the air through the opening at the bottom of the valance. It works extremely well and I increased my lap times by almost 2 seconds by being able to turn in harder and brake later.

I would expect some to call it rice but again, the car rarely gets driven on the street, so everything is for a specific purpose. Let me know what you think. I'm going to put in the lower mesh most likely on Sunday or Monday and once that's finished, I'll leave the grill out until I receive the two coolers that I have to mount-1 for oil, 1 for transmission.

The car is sitting on the stock wheels right now but I have several sets of wheels and tires for it and am in the process of purchasing a set of Rota DP1 18"x8" right now for another different tire.

745178416_Grilleinstalled3.JPG.f2f9e416377e663eafd079cccc8db215.JPG

33047553_Grilleinstalled1.JPG.93e3a6f0d7ed90c833eceb8ac311287c.JPG

993099389_Grilleinstalled2.JPG.e79c56a863b7af83be808712a9304f45.JPG

OK...I went out and put it in because I was also curious to see how it turned out. I think it looks pretty good but again, I don't necessarily do things for aesthetic purposes but for functionality. I have to coolers coming that will be lined up behind the open spots in the grille so I needed the extra air flow.

I apologize for the car being pretty dirty. It's the way it came back from the last track day and I haven't had time to clean it up much because of so much travel for work. The emblem in the center doesn't look so orange in person but unfortunately the photos make it look that way.

You'll most likely notice the splitter underneath the front valance. I built that out of 1/4" lexan and it's tied across the bottom of the valance in 8 places with 1.5" one inch diameter aluminum spacers. It's also tied in to the subframe behind the rack and pinion. I can change the angle of the splitter using custom washers I made that have graduated angles, depending on how hot the day is and how much nose pressure I need in order for it to turn the way I want. I have it sealed up at the spacers with more aluminum and force the air through the opening at the bottom of the valance. It works extremely well and I increased my lap times by almost 2 seconds by being able to turn in harder and brake later.

I would expect some to call it rice but again, the car rarely gets driven on the street, so everything is for a specific purpose. Let me know what you think. I'm going to put in the lower mesh most likely on Sunday or Monday and once that's finished, I'll leave the grill out until I receive the two coolers that I have to mount-1 for oil, 1 for transmission.

The car is sitting on the stock wheels right now but I have several sets of wheels and tires for it and am in the process of purchasing a set of Rota DP1 18"x8" right now for another different tire.

Nice snow plow. Where do you mount the salt spreader?

It works extremely well and I increased my lap times by almost 2 seconds by being able to turn in harder and brake later.

Well increased lap times is the price you pay for plowing snow. I'm sure the other drivers appreciate your dedication to clearing snow and ice so they can decrease their lap times. Hopefully they buy you drinks at the end of track days.

that shit looks stupid.

http://stewover.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/mr-plow-tshirt.jpg

And I guess "let me know what you think" no longer means "let me know what you think." I guess now it means "agree with me or I'll call you childish."

I think it looks ridiculous and the only benefit you get is from thinking you can brake later and turn in harder. I doubt your lap times were 100% optimal before. Now you're probably driving with more balls due to that ridiculous thing hanging from your bumper and seeing better times, which you incorrectly attribute to your DIY monstrosity.

• 1 year later...

Archived