LegacyGT.com

BDII's DIY grill walk through (ton's of pics)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the moment I am in the process of sanding it all down. Cutting the middle section out wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Just have to be patient. Bondo is going on tomorrow..... first time using it and hoping it wont be too bad. Is the gutter the perfect size to fit our grills? I looked at it at the hardware place and it looked too small.

At the moment I am in the process of sanding it all down. Cutting the middle section out wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Just have to be patient. Bondo is going on tomorrow..... first time using it and hoping it wont be too bad. Is the gutter the perfect size to fit our grills? I looked at it at the hardware place and it looked too small.

you want the 6"

I believe it's 34" x 6" at Lowes.

Home Depot and Ace do not carry it.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

put a dab of bondo on the back of the eblem and put two bolts, head down in the bondo. (very, VERY lightly sand the back of the emblem to make the bondo stick)

Once it drys just thread the bolts through the mesh and attach a washer and nut.

Just finished it and it's looking decent I just have to put the emblem back on..... I'm contemplating redoing it because there are a few spots where sanding should have been better. But I'm pretty happy with it. Here are a few pictures I took real quick in bad lighting

grill.JPG.af4f2153f1ea475ebaaf92791b5750bf.JPG

• 1 month later...

did you use car paint instead of plastic paint?

Did you sand the grill to the white plastic?

did you use a primer?

did you use a clear cote?

if you said no to any of these questions then you know where you goofed :p

• 1 month later...
did you use car paint instead of plastic paint?

Did you sand the grill to the white plastic?

did you use a primer?

did you use a clear cote?

if you said no to any of these questions then you know where you goofed :p

When you say sand the grill to the white plastic, is that underneath the chrome? I remember it turning colors with my last DIY grill, but I don't recall it turning white?

No, the chrome is a metallic paint and it only needs to be sanded.

THe grill itself is white plastic (05,06,07) and teh 08's are a completely different plastic and color.

^ The plastic part of the grill (not the chrome) should take primer by itself right?

After I sand the chrome, I am just going to hit the whole thing with 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of flat black pain, and 2 coats of clearcoat. Nice even strokes of course. ;)

The plastic part needs to be sanded to if you want the paint to hold.

You don't need to go to the plastic... but at least rough it up.

Make sure you give ample drying time if you're gonna use that many coats.

I used 3 coats of each with at least 6 hours drying time in a heated paint room.

of the 15+ grills I made only one has had paint issues... I should be hearing back from the buyer about him shipping it to me for examination.

The plastic part needs to be sanded to if you want the paint to hold.

You don't need to go to the plastic... but at least rough it up.

Make sure you give ample drying time if you're gonna use that many coats.

I used 3 coats of each with at least 6 hours drying time in a heated paint room.

of the 15+ grills I made only one has had paint issues... I should be hearing back from the buyer about him shipping it to me for examination.

What grit would you suggest for the plastic? 120?

How much time in between each coat?

the plastic part is actaully quite soft... you want a rough grit to start then like a 300+ to finish. Any scratches or inperfections will show when you paint.

Primer dries quick :) 20-30 minutes between coats

Base is 1 hour per coat

clear coat is 1 hour per coat

It really depends on where you are painting... VA is probably getting pretty humid this time of year so I would suggest giving it more time.

Unless you paint in a garage/basement/paint room.

Archived