LegacyGT.com

BDII's DIY grill walk through (ton's of pics)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
removing the grill is easy. un bolt the two bolts and the rest are just clips. there are other DIY's here for grill painting/mods if you do a search
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Well, if someone does have photos of this DIY they are not going to repost them as evidenced by the lack of photos. Maybe its time to hit the lock and/or delete button on this thread eh?

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a little late to the game but I just finished my grille job and thought you might want to see it. I did things a bit differently than everyone else as you can see in the photos. I did the grille mod basically because I need the extra cooling. I rarely drive the car on the road except to and from track and AX days and I'm currently mounting an external trans cooler on the LF and an external oil cooler on the RF. I'm also putting in aluminum ducting below the grille and also on the top from the grill to the radiator to maximize the directional flow to the coolers and also the middle part of the radiator. The pedestal also covers up the A/C condenser support and looks a little bit better than having it stick out.

Basically, I cut out the wings completely and left the middle badge pedestal mounting area in place. I cut and shaped the back side of the badge pedestal so that it was exactly the same on both sides with the radius on the back and shaped it so that the grille mesh lays flat against the back of it. When I removed the emblem, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the large molding hole to be used later on as a support for the mesh. I plated and filled the ends of the grille where the wing cutouts were and also left the top angle in the grille so it would give a little bit of downward direction to the airflow. I used scotchbrite on the painted areas instead of sandpaper because it keeps everything smooth but allows for paint to adhere well and is easy to do.

I also retained the chrome ring around the outside of the grille (although the chrome isn't in great shape but my car is dark blue and I like the contrast) and because I mounted the emblem back in the original area. I wanted the emblem to look like it was floating in the middle, so instead of putting the standard emblem back on (again, not in great shape but I may still use it without the chrome ring) I cannibalized the emblem off of my engine cover (I don't run it anyways-it holds way too much heat on the intake manifold) which is slightly smaller than the grille emblem. The reason for this is that it has the chrome ring built into it. I took the emblem and poured red paint into the surface and allowed it to flow completely around the stars and let it dry. I now have a red emblem which matches everything under the hood and also a couple of other things you'll see once I post some more photos a bit later on of it installed on the car.

Anyway, take a look and give opinions as to whether or not you like the way it came out. I am always open to constructive criticism and like to hear comments both good and bad. Here's the scoop on the entire thing:

Cut out wings and plated and filled in the ends to maintain the correct contour of the curve of the grille. Shaped the pedestal to allow the grille mesh to fit tightly on the back and also so it had some character. Masked off the chrome ring after complete prep and also masked the top of the grille to maintain the original gray color when the hood is opened. 3 coats of RO Trim and Bumper Paint (contains a flex agent) on both the grille and the mesh. One coat of clear on the grille and two coats of clear on the mesh from both sides. One more coat of black on the grille (the clear makes everything a bit smoother so I sprayed over with the black) and then assembly of the mesh onto the grille. I utilized the 1/4" hole I drilled with a long bolt and washer to support the center of the mesh material to keep it tight and very small black zip ties along the top on the inside ribs of the grille through the mesh. On the bottom, I made flaps out of black Gorilla duct tape and long strips across the flaps to hold the bottom although it really can't go anywhere. 3M emblem tape on the emblem in the center of the pedestal and it's ready to mount.

Tell me what you think. Oh, and by the way, I can't apologize for the cell phone photos as that's the only camera I have.

1666027391_PreppedSubaruGrille3.JPG.01579bd0c8ad8c04e321c97b7a6434ea.JPG

1843768073_PreppedSubaruGrille2.JPG.4211cc765c9c37c3eae26d311916eed2.JPG

1140793474_PreppedSubaruGrille.JPG.2a730b88efe8a4c63269b412c7d5db1f.JPG

1380036934_FinishedSubaruGrille.JPG.539eb948217b11f4000331355baf0755.JPG

208661572_FinishedSubaruGrille2.JPG.0c940bdaef4d2ae37657c344eae176dd.JPG

Archived