LegacyGT.com

Oil leak after uppipe install

DoubleM

Just sounds like one of the many botched UP installs done by a non-Subaru mechanic. This isn't the first time this has happened. There is a reason we have a walkthrough section on this site. A lot of us learned things the hard way and posted at very least a "what not to do" write up to save others from the same pain.

The problem is that while doing what should be a simple 2 hour jobs, your buddy happened to hit a little seal and get the worst possible result. The problem is that this little seal causes a big oil leak and creates a situation that requires many more hours of labor to correct. Now it's even further out of hand because the new gasket/seal wasn't installed properly either and the mechanic may have also created other issues while trying to fix the first. Personally. I wouldn't trust this kid to fix anything else. Have a different mechanic do it and have them make sure to check all the oil lines to be sure they are tight and all the washers are in the right places too.

Again, this isn't the first this has happened and it won't be the last. The UP is not to blame here it was just sloppy wrenching. Once the leak is identified and sealed you will love the result and have a trouble free ride again. We have all had a less than spectacular install experience at some point. It happens. Just do what it takes to get her all patched up and call it a learning experience. Built by the lowest bidder is not always the best approach and just because a friend is a mechanic that doesn't qualify them to work on your Subaru. These cars a set up a little different than most and require even the most experienced non-Subaru mechanics to do a little research before digging in.

Good luck. I'm sure you will get it fixed and it will all be worth it in the long run.

Let's kick this pig!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope so. I just hope I didnt harm the engine or turbo. How will I know if I did? It felt fine when I was driving it before with the leak, there was just smoke. I'm defintley not going to have him put anything else on, and I'm debating on whether I should even pay him for the uppipe install. If it still has problems, I'm taking it to subaru and making him pay the bill.

I hope so. I just hope I didnt harm the engine or turbo. How will I know if I did? It felt fine when I was driving it before with the leak, there was just smoke. I'm defintley not going to have him put anything else on, and I'm debating on whether I should even pay him for the uppipe install. If it still has problems, I'm taking it to subaru and making him pay the bill.

You would have to drive around with like a quart of oil for damage to begin to occure. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it seems you reacted quick enough.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Check the oil EVERYTIME before you start it for now. Just keep a few quarts with you and drive it easy. The leak won't damage anything, but running out of oil will. You would/will hear some unmistakable noises from under the hood if you had/have damaged the engine or tubo from oil starvation.
Let's kick this pig!

Yeah, well he gave me the full story, he says when he put it in the first time, he figured the little rubber piece on the half moon seal was enough to seal it, and he didn't put any sealant on it. He thinks he just needs to put some silicone sealant on the half moon gasket, and he says that should fix the leak.:confused: Does anyone know if the silicone sealant is a good solution, or will that not be enough? I talked to a guy I know who is a subaru mechanic at a dealership, and he can fix it for me, but its not going to be cheap, but I don't want this other dumb mechanic to mess around and do more harm than good.

Yeah, well he gave me the full story, he says when he put it in the first time, he figured the little rubber piece on the half moon seal was enough to seal it, and he didn't put any sealant on it. He thinks he just needs to put some silicone sealant on the half moon gasket, and he says that should fix the leak.:confused: Does anyone know if the silicone sealant is a good solution, or will that not be enough? I talked to a guy I know who is a subaru mechanic at a dealership, and he can fix it for me, but its not going to be cheap, but I don't want this other dumb mechanic to mess around and do more harm than good.

rubber piece with sealeant:confused: Take it to your subaru mechanic, get him to fix it right. I would tell the kid who did the original work you are not paying him, explain that its going to cost you a lot more than it originally would have because of his mistake.

Print out that portion of the service manual for your mechanic friend. If you don't have it, search "vacation pics". As mentioned by boostjunkie, you NEED to seal the half moons per the factory with RTV. It would also them be an extremely good idea to allow plenty of time for it to cure... 6hrs or so, before the motor is run.
ignore him, he'll go away.

yeah, I got my car back today, he let it cure for about 12 hours overnight. Its smoking very mildly, just the rest if the oil burning off. I'll check the oil everytime before I drive it still. Hope I'm done with my problems with leaks.

I got my fingers crossed for you, if you haven't already and take a rag, and clean up around the turbo, when its cold of course, and wipe off anywhere you see where oil leaked, monitor the areas you wiped oil away from, if you see oil at the same location again you will know you have a fresh leak and should be able to easily figure out the location of it.

Well, no more smoke, and I can just faintly smell oil still outside of the car. So, I'll keep checking my oil, but I think its all fixed now. I just installed a perrin drop in filter and the new rushing air sound that I hear has gotten me addicted to my car again. Thanks goes out to everybody who helped me out with figuring this out and handling it. Thanks to you, my car is running like new again.:)

Cool. It happens. At least you got it fixed with no damage to anything else. You should feel the boost build a lot faster than before. A new part here and a new part there once in a while should keep you interested in this car for a long time.
Let's kick this pig!

Exactly, gotta keep it fresh. As for the differences, it seems like a little more torque as soon as the clutch engages, then goes back to normal. Turbo doesn't spool any faster really, and I have a boost gauge to back up my butt-dyno. Remember i'm stock right now other than an exhaust, i'm told the uppipe does most of its gains when you're stage 2 and the turbo is relying on more air and you have more airflow through the uppipe. So, until next spring when I get my AP, I probably won't reap the benefits of having it on.

You should feel spool a couple hundred rpm's faster with the up, but you won't gain hp from it. You need a downpipe and accessport map or tune your car yourself if you are willing, to get the most noticeable gains. I'm guessing you will be getting a downpipe in the near future...

You have been infected with the modding bug and you are probably going to be coughing up money for your ride in the near future to further pursue its potential so start saving.;) My famous last words just 4 months ago were, "I am just going to do stage 1 and then I'll be good till my 60k warranty runs out.":lol:

Enjoy, and the next time you see a thread about an up pipe oil leak, it will be your turn to answer it and help out the person posting. I posted one after my up pipe install just a couple months ago figured I would pay it forward for the help I recieved from it.

No doubt. My UP sat on the shelf for almost two years until I got my DP and Access Port. That was all I had planned on doing until the powertrain warranty was up. Now about $5K later I've got a AEM CAI, Header with UP, Perrin TMIC, DP, SPT CBE, New Spec Stage2 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel, LW Crank Pully, Endlinks, Tires, an Access Port and a dozen different maps. The crazy thing is that I can't stop thinking about what's next(suspension, turbo, injectors and fuel pump).:eek:

If theres a cure for the mod disease...I don't want it.

Let's kick this pig!

yeah, I actually have a separate checking account just for my mod money. I'm all out right now, just bought some winter wheels and tires, but next spring I'll hopefully have money saved for an ap, downpipe, pinks,and sway bars.

Archived