LegacyGT.com

Oil leak after uppipe install

DoubleM

I will on Saturday. One of the other users (puzzled) is going to help me get it fixed over at his house. So I only have to listen to this old truck for a couple more days. Have you decided what you want to do with your exhaust?

Nice, as for my perrin mufflers, after I get my car back from the body shop I am going to buy some oem mufflers and put them on. I had one local say he had a couple for sale but I haven't heard from him in a while. Quikslvr I will pm you if I can't get a hold of him in a week to buy your oem mufflers if you still have them. As for my perrin mufflers double, I will sell them after I take them off, interested?;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, I might be interested in the Perrin cans if I can afford them. My x02 cans being out of line with the cut-outs kinda annoys me, but not enough to spend a fortune on a nicer exhaust. Oh, and I bought the uppipe gaskets from subaru today, I got the manifold-uppipe gasket (2 bolt) and the uppipe to turbo gasket, but when I gave them my vin number they said this turbo gasket is a 3 bolt design, but my stock uppipe has 5 bolts on that end. So I'm pretty sure I gotta go back and get the right one :lol:

The TOP of the UP where it bolts to the TURBO has 3 bolts for the UP->Turbo plus two that hold brackets making 5 total, but the bottom of the UP or the MANIFOLD->UP union has 2 bolts just like all the others. Tell them you need the round one not the triangle.
Let's kick this pig!

Sorry its been a while since an update, been pretty busy. On saturday I brought it over to my buddies house (username puzzled), and him, myself and another subie owner got it to stop sounding like a truck. The MR gaskets were failing on both ends of the uppipe, the bottom one was about half intact by the time we took it out. Also, we discovered that one of the turbo studs on the turbo-downpipe connection was messed up and needs retapped, factory flaw. Car runs fine now. We were also having a hard time getting the MR up-pipe to bolt up to the exhaust manifold, and where the up-pipe and exhaust manifold were, there was a pretty big gap before we bolted the 2 together. After we torqued the crap out of them, we got it so that you can barely see between the 2, there's just a very small gap there now, we tried to double-gasket it, but that didn't fix the small leak that was there. So, I think the up-pipe is messed up, or else I got the wrong one...I'll have to talk to the vendor about it, but I think we might just gut the stock uppipe and be done with it. It will fit perfect and be free. I have no idea why the uppipe would be too short...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/subaruwrxfan/Spec%20B/Uppipe002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/subaruwrxfan/Spec%20B/Uppipe001.jpg

Ya that was not meant to fit for sure. That gap is wide enough to slip a cheeseburger in there. I wouldn't have even attempted to connect those flanges, just for fear of the aftermath of stripping the holes, which has been done. Do you have pics of what it looked like after you guys tightened it down, or did you just leave the way it is?

No, we tightened it down so that the gap is very small, we thought another gasket would do the trick, but it doesn't, still a small leak. I don't know what could be wrong with it. Boostjunkie said it might be bad flanges, we'll have to take it apart again and see what we can do about it. I'm glad everybody else thinks its as crazy as I do...anybody with an MR up-pipe care to measure the length of their pipe? That way I'll be able to see if its just me not doing something right, or a manufacturing flaw at MR.

Archived