LegacyGT.com

Oil leak after uppipe install

DoubleM

the mechanic finished putting in my mr uppipe today, and it started up fine, but noticed it was leaking oil. It was spraying, but they dont know where the leak was at. Has anyone else encountered a leak after installing theyre uppipe?i heard it might be a camshaft (half moon) gasket, or a valve cover gasket. Just seeing if anyone out there had the same problem.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have access to look underneath your ride? Also have you checked the banjo bolt on top of the turbo, you would see oil leaking out of it pretty easily if it were. My banjo bolt leaked right off the bat, and now I also have had a oil return line seeping oil out of it. Let the fun of going stage 2 begin.

Yeah, the car is up on a lift. That thread was very helpful, thanks. I should have searched. I have a question though. My mr uppipe is still on. Do you think if I got it all put back together, the dealer would fix it under warranty? I mean, even subaru went catless for 08, can they blame me? :p really though, do you think they would do it?

Yeah, the car is up on a lift. That thread was very helpful, thanks. I should have searched. I have a question though. My mr uppipe is still on. Do you think if I got it all put back together, the dealer would fix it under warranty? I mean, even subaru went catless for 08, can they blame me? :p really though, do you think they would do it?

I'm sure you've heard this before but in order to play you got to be willing to pay. Subaru will be able to tell you have put on another up pipe more than likely from the wrench marks, not to mention what you are trying to do is fraud. :rolleyes:

If I were you, I would find that leak and get it stopped by looking yourself or even having to pay someone to do it. If its a leaky hose, put a better clamp on it, if its the moon gasket you need to replace it. Where does it appear the leak is coming from? Can you get any pics from underneath the car with a bright light on the leaky area? By the way go Penguins!

Alright, the mechanic figured out its the half moon seal that was halfway dislodged, causing the leak. I went to subaru today and picked up another one. He took out the old moon gasket, so the car is currently not driveable. :mad: He said he went through 1/4 quart of oil just starting it 3 times and shutting it off after a minute. He says he's filling it up with oil, I hope he's using the right kind. Hes putting in 10w 40. I can't remember if that's right or not. :spin: I don't think he'll charge me too much extra for the gasket install, it will take him all night though, gotta disconnect the motor from the mounts and get underneath to get it in there. He knows a subaru technician who is gonna help him out with it. I don't wanna pay him more that $150 for the whole up-pipe install. He works at the same dealership I do, he's kinda a buddy, so hopefully he won't screw me over with the install cost.

A quart of 10w-40 shouldn't hurt, and to get the up pipe installed for 150$ is a real good deal on labor. Sounds like you should be coming out alright, glad to hear things are getting resolved. Let us know what you think after you can actually drive your car, make sure to check your oil everyday for the first week and from there on out I check mine once a week. Lol, I checked mine this morning before I left to work because of this thread. You never know when you will have a leaky oil line.

yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on my oil after this. I hope benefits greatly outweigh all the trouble. I havent been able to drive my car for the past 2 days, I'm glad I still live with my parent, I just drive my moms beetle :p we'll see how the install goes tonight. Thanks for the info on the oil, I need to get it changed in another 800 miles or so, I'll get it done anyway. Not having the recommended oil in my car would bother me.

haha yeah. Well, the half moon was replaced. The car is running fine now, I'll check for leaks in the morning. The mechanic told me to take it easy on the car for the first few days, so I can't notice any differences, I stayed off boost, so I didnt even hear any new sounds. Plus, there is still oil on the engine and in the system that needs to burn off, so I now have smoke emitting from my hood scoop when I come to a stop. Hopefully that will go away in a day or two...

haha yeah. Well, the half moon was replaced. The car is running fine now, I'll check for leaks in the morning. The mechanic told me to take it easy on the car for the first few days, so I can't notice any differences, I stayed off boost, so I didnt even hear any new sounds. Plus, there is still oil on the engine and in the system that needs to burn off, so I now have smoke emitting from my hood scoop when I come to a stop. Hopefully that will go away in a day or two...

If you put more than 200 miles on your ride after this install and you are still seeing smoke pour out the hood, your probably still have a leak, monitor the oil closely and look for drip stains until the smoke goes away.

Ugh, I had a crappy weekend, the car is sitting at the mechanic. I'll try and keep this brief: Friday night i figured i'd take the car out for a nice drive and get some of that oil burnt off. I was driving around for about 70 miles, and it didn't get any less, same amount of smoke. Having EVERYONE at red lights stare at you sucks. I had a guy in an older legacy with some subaru stickers on the side of it roll down his window and say "That isn't good man". I had to explain that its just oil burning off. I check my driveway for oil the next morning, and saw about 2 more drops, so i figured i still maybe had a small leak. I got to work in the morning, and in the afternoon, i went out to check the car to find a small puddle of oil underneath the car, and noticed that my dipstick was completely dry.:eek: I had one of the mechanics at the dealership i work for check it out, he said he thinks its the oil (cooler line?) for the turbo. He says the mechanic could have bumped it trying to get the oem uppipe out, and that could be enough to cause a leak. So, tomorrow morning the mechanic will hopefully get it up on a lift and let me know what I need to buy from subaru tomorrow, and he'll put it on tomorrow night. If its something worse (and more expensive) than that oil line i'm taking my car back to stock till my warranty is up. Needless to say, i'm pretty fed up with the whole situation, its been a nightmare. I just hope I didn't damage the engine or turbo at all.

Your mechanic owes you a functional vehicle. I'd suggest that resolving the issues is on him/her.

the mechanic finished putting in my mr uppipe today, and it started up fine, but noticed it was leaking oil. It was spraying, but they dont know where the leak was at. Has anyone else encountered a leak after installing theyre uppipe?i heard it might be a camshaft (half moon) gasket, or a valve cover gasket. Just seeing if anyone out there had the same problem.

Wow funny thing is an UP swap isn't that hard, hell I did it on my back on a cold driveway floor. You may need to go to a different mechanic, the dude working on your car needs to give you your money back as he couldn't do the job. If he is your buddy he should understand.

to AWDxBoost, I already replaced the valve cover gasket, that was the first thing that was leaking, now i'm pretty sure its the oil line for the turbo. I'm not paying him to fix any of this, but I also havn't paid him for the uppipe install yet, I'll be knocking off some of the price after this crap. I've known so many people that did the uppipe with no problems, I think he's just an idiot. He's only 20, fresh out of tech school, but he works on porsches all day, so he can't be that stupid. I've just known him since I've worked there (about a year).

The mechanic took off the belly pan and says its coming from the half moon gasket still. He said he might need more sealant, he said he can't work on it until tomorrow.

Did he damage or dislodge the turbo drain line going to the block? I think you need a new garage for installs my friend:)

Dude, you have a major leak if you are totally out of oil in a day.... the 'mechanic' you are working with sounds like an inexperienced kid, who is risking your motor and turbo. I'm guessing if he can't fix the leak before you blow something you would have to take him to small claims court to get anything out of him for restitution. Cut your losses with him before you run your ride out of oil.

It may be a friend that is doing the work, but nevertheless, he sounds very negligent with your ride. I would take it to someone knowledgeable, someone like the dealership. As for trying to get this done under warranty you will be hard pressed to find people on here who will aid you in trying to cover up your modding tracks. Once you get this leak fixed you will love your car, and keep in mind this leak isn't because of the car, its happening because you got crappy labor. Subaru will probably tell you the same thing when you take it in for warranty. Thats my .02

Archived