LegacyGT.com

Subaru Just Fired it's Ad Agency

rs6er

Yeah...the "Ricky, Ricky, Ricky" ad.

"Ricky" is driving through the forest, all the animals are calling out to him b/c his Subaru was built in an eco-friendly plant...

I never saw that ad (and I watch enough TV), but that sounds completely stupid.

At least the Tribeca commercial from 05 with all other SUV's crumble into dust had some creativity, even if it was a littel cheesy...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bigger problem with that is Subaru expects miracles from an ad agency when they don't have the product. Now that a lot of other cara can be had with AWD, Subaru has lost this edge. Subaru needs something new that an ad agency can't provide.. they need creativity at the design level.

I tend to disagree with this sentiment. I did a lot of research prior to buying my Legacy - much more than the average buyer. In my book, the LGT scored near the top of the charts when it came to performance, value, reliability and safety. The problem is that no one knows what value can be found in this car. It truly is comparable to a german car selling for $5-10k more (granted it would need to add the usual creature comforts like bluetooth, HID, adaptive cruise control and a nicer sound system to truly compete, but there is room to add this and still be a value).

Subaru has effectively advertised the Outback and they are improving on the Impreza (though that can change now that they canned the agency!), but their Marketing group has dropped the ball on the Legacy. No one even knows what this car is. If Subaru even pushed a little cash towards marketing the Legacy, sales would improve dramatically - their market share could only improve from their current position. I think they should spend a little time looking at VW's marketing of the Passat, Acura's effort with the TL & TSX and even Honda's pitch with the new Accord. These are all views into how to sell to a demographic that would jump all over the Legacy if they even knew it was available as an alternative.

I have already had a number of positive comments from friends and strangers about my new GT, and none of them knew it was a Subaru. People only know Subaru for the Outback and Impreza (with a small group aware of the Tribeca), and I live in an area where AWD is a selling point!

My $0.02...

AT least I saw the ads they had now.

They must be targeting different ads to different areas because I never saw the ricky ad in NY. The ads I saw looked damn good though. A huge improvement over Cheryl Crow.

BTW they absolutely should not hire Toyota's agency. Mr. Opportunity makes me want to blow his head off with a shotgun!

I tend to disagree with this sentiment. I did a lot of research prior to buying my Legacy - much more than the average buyer. In my book, the LGT scored near the top of the charts when it came to performance, value, reliability and safety. The problem is that no one knows what value can be found in this car. It truly is comparable to a german car selling for $5-10k more (granted it would need to add the usual creature comforts like bluetooth, HID, adaptive cruise control and a nicer sound system to truly compete, but there is room to add this and still be a value).

Subaru has effectively advertised the Outback and they are improving on the Impreza (though that can change now that they canned the agency!), but their Marketing group has dropped the ball on the Legacy. No one even knows what this car is. If Subaru even pushed a little cash towards marketing the Legacy, sales would improve dramatically - their market share could only improve from their current position. I think they should spend a little time looking at VW's marketing of the Passat, Acura's effort with the TL & TSX and even Honda's pitch with the new Accord. These are all views into how to sell to a demographic that would jump all over the Legacy if they even knew it was available as an alternative.

I have already had a number of positive comments from friends and strangers about my new GT, and none of them knew it was a Subaru. People only know Subaru for the Outback and Impreza (with a small group aware of the Tribeca), and I live in an area where AWD is a selling point!

My $0.02...

+1 agreed.

Subaru should hire the company doing the coors light commercials. thats one way they could definitely sell more new imprezas. Just all hot girls pillow fighting and then at the end have the wrx scream off with the boxer rumble. Id be sold then.

This is kinda bad... but I do somewhat enjoy having a not-so-common car with my spec. b. I would hate seeing them everywhere. I used to have a honda accord and definitely didn't feel as unique! But as for advertisement, Subaru needs to appeal to a younger audience. To be honest most people I see driving subies are middle aged and older except for the STI of course. I feel this cuts out a significant amount of the market because a lot of us 20 somethings who just get out of college want to can our old beat up cars and get something nice! With a little bit of young appeal and showing the true performance of the lgt would definitely go a long way. Sorry about the rant.... :cool:

^^ agreed. I was talking to this chick in one of my classes and somehow the conversation got to cars.. anyway I was saying that im getting a new car in june after i graduate and she asked what I was getting. I said Subaru Legacy gt. she was like "oh, hey thats ok I drive my parent's old oldsmobile" hahaha yeah I think the brand image with non-enthusiasts is pretty pedestrian to say the least

Youre thinking of Honda.....guess that shows how effective their ads are.

I'm pretty sure Toyota started it with the guy that had a TV for a head. He was the original Mr. opportunity. Honda came out with the cartoon character version much later. Toyota had it like maybe 10 years ago.

you know whats bad... is I think hyundai does a better job with marketing! I mean! They have Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) as the spokesman in their commercials! If "high-class yuppy" Frasier likes it, shouldn't you?? hehe...

Yeah seriously, now that I think back to the first subaru commercials subaru has done nothing but F it up royaly. First they start off marketing the car so everyone thinks its made in australia. Then they keep pushing it with environmentaly friendly and family friendly sheryl crow crap. What ever happened to the very first wrx commercial where they show the blue WRX tearing up a windy mountain pass. Lately the coolest Subaru commercial was for some motor oil with a STI in it saying something about getting all 300 horsepower out of your engine. Other companies are doing a better job of advertising our cars then we are.

That's exactly why the LGT is a crappy seller, still today MANY people doesn't have a clue about our cars.. And I am talking enthusiasts too!!!!

Shame SoA shame!! Please learn with BMW!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

^^ agreed. I was talking to this chick in one of my classes and somehow the conversation got to cars.. anyway I was saying that im getting a new car in june after i graduate and she asked what I was getting. I said Subaru Legacy gt. she was like "oh, hey thats ok I drive my parent's old oldsmobile" hahaha yeah I think the brand image with non-enthusiasts is pretty pedestrian to say the least

Ya, everybody I tell I have a Subaru is thoroughly unimpressed. Then, when I take them for a ride, they start asking questions. I told my family back in California I drive a Subaru and they think I'm all grown up now (recently married), but when they get here (visiting next week) and see my modded gt they'll probably roll their eyes and think, "Same old kagen :rolleyes: He'll never grow up"

Archived