LegacyGT.com

Front O2 sensor a risk to turbo?

SlightlyEvil

I'm sure the answer will make me look stoopid, but since its usually considered best to take the stock front EGT probe out when replacing the stock catted 2005 up-pipe with a catless one in case it breaks apart due to increased flow rate and makes love to your turbo, would it not also be smart to take out the front O2 sensor in the manifold just before the up-pipe since there's nothing stopping it breaking apart?

I'm assuming the O2 sensor is just made of much tougher stuff (ceramic I think right?).

Ahh yes but in the interest of knowledge, why would it run like crap? I mean when the thing is at full throttle the O2 sensor isn't even in use I don't think is it? I thought modern engines stop paying attention to o2 readings at full throttle to prevent a misread and making the engine run too lean or something - or so I was told by the dealer.

I would assume your car would run terrible since its losing a reading that is directly used in calculating the appropriate air/fuel mixture based on your atmospheric conditions at the time. Anywho, I wouldn't do it, nor attempt to find out the impact of its results on my ride just because I would hate to have to replace a motor because I decided to play the mad doctor one night in my garage....

Ahh yes but in the interest of knowledge, why would it run like crap? I mean when the thing is at full throttle the O2 sensor isn't even in use I don't think is it? I thought modern engines stop paying attention to o2 readings at full throttle to prevent a misread and making the engine run too lean or something - or so I was told by the dealer.

The o2 is always in use, seeing how you always are using it to calculate the correct a/f mixture. Every 'modern' engine has an 02 sensor and use it at all times while the car is running.

The only time the o2 stops paying attention is if you are a boring driver, try telling it some jokes to get its attention back. ;) Even though there are flamers on here, myself included at times, its all in good fun and its better to get educated than to be silent and clueless. Keep asking away until you get the answers you are looking for.

Archived