LegacyGT.com

License plate LEDs

pathfin9

Dude, lighting device as those found ON TOP of the police or emergency vehicles or on the dash/rear deck as the case with unmarked police vehicles.

And...

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess with intent to sell or offer for sale, either separately or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, or to use or have as equipment on a motor vehicle operated on a highway any lighting device, warning device, signal device, safety glass, or other equipment for which approval is required by any provision of this chapter or any part or parts tending to change or alter the operation of such device, glass, or other equipment unless of a type that has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent or meets or exceeds the standards and specifications of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute, Incorporated or the federal Department of Transportation.

So it don't have to be submitted. You can say one light blew, got a warning from an officer and proceeded to pick the first ones you saw at the corner Advanced Auto Parts or something. Almost everything is SAE approved nowadays!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, lighting device as those found ON TOP of the police or emergency vehicles or on the dash/rear deck as the case with unmarked police vehicles.

There's another set of laws that deals with those lights, but I guarantee they're all approved ;)

So it don't have to be submitted. You can say one light blew, got a warning from an officer and proceeded to pick the first ones you saw at the corner Advanced Auto Parts or something. Almost everything is SAE approved nowadays!

Like I said, it would be difficult to prove.

i absolutely love it what kind of bulbs are they i m amazed of your work your car is my back ground

Translation:

I absolutely love it. What kind of bulbs are they? I'm amazed of your work. Your car is my back ground.

Sorry, had to! :p

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I read on the MachV page that you have to "reverse the anle of the right buld holder" so that it looks correct. Anyone know how to do this? I installed my bulbs and they don't point correctly. You see light to the left and right of the plate, but can't see the middle. It looks like the light is too far off to the sides.

I read on the MachV page that you have to "reverse the anle of the right buld holder" so that it looks correct. Anyone know how to do this? I installed my bulbs and they don't point correctly. You see light to the left and right of the plate, but can't see the middle. It looks like the light is too far off to the sides.

On my wagon, I just unscrewed the socket and put it back in flipped the other way.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

On my sedan, I can't actually see the socket. It's such a PITA to get to, I did it just feeling around. Perhaps I need to remove the entire liner and hope I don't break any of the plastic rivets and then maybe I'll see a way to remove and flip.

Thanks! I got them from www.autolumination.com. Not the greatest looking site, but the LEDs are pretty good quality. My brother-in-law recommended them to me. He uses them for his S4.

I just replaced them. Not too hard to do. Although, when I first saw how I would have to get access to the lights I was a little scared. But it turned out to be real easy.

It looks a lot better in person.

-John

These LED's are not so bright as the second post! Replaced original bulbs on my car with these LED's and they work great!

Fabricio

• 3 months later...

I just wanna clarify a few things for people about LEDs. I'm new to the LGT side of things (just picked mine up last week) but I've been designing and producing LED lights for Maxima and Sentra owners for a while.

Problem with cheaper LEDs is that they are too "cool" of a white, and from a distance the officer will think they are blue. Believe me, I have been pulled over and hassled for them.

There is no such thing as a true "white" led. A white LED is really a Blue LED with a yellow phosphor over it. That makes the light appear white when it comes out. Now, if you get a high quality LED (or LEDs in some cases) you can get very close to the real white.

I have made LED license plate lights with cheaper LEDs and have gotten pulled over for them. However, I switched to even BRIGHTER, high quality LEDs and I haven't gotten one word on them. Even one of my customers (and good friend) have gone right up to officers and asked if they were okay. The cops gave the thumbs up on them. And this was in NH, which have VERY strict lighting laws.

Here are some pictures of some lights I've made for a Maxima (and pictures were taken from a DSLR camera on fully manual mode to show the true before and after).

Before: PIAA Hyper White incandescent bulbs:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/Dark-V/LED%20Lights/License%20Plate/DSC_0061.jpg

After: Two Cree XR-E P4 LEDs running at 300mA each.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/Dark-V/LED%20Lights/License%20Plate/DSC_0062.jpg

Distance shot... notice, they don't look blue.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/Dark-V/LED%20Lights/License%20Plate/DSC_0066.jpg

So all in all, if you walk a good distance away, and they still look white, with no hint of blue. You are all good.

Blue = Illegal

I'm not writing to burst anyones bubble, just telling my personal experiences with officers and LEDs. I LOVE LEDs.

wow. those are damn bright. i dont want people to see my plate that much!! and as far as i know lexus has started to use LEDs, about the same "blue"ness as mine- if lexus can use them and sell them on cars then i can too

Well my theory is, if they can see your plate clearly (lit up) why would they mark me as being suspicious? As long as it's not blue.

If I had a dim cheap ebay LED light that had a blue tint to it, and they could hardly see the plate, THAT would make me suspicious.

Archived