LegacyGT.com

WBR FMIC Install

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for more power but I can't imagine modifying a car in such a way that crash protection is potentially compromised. It is not worth it. Plus, how will insurance coverage be affected if you are in a collision.

Just my opinion of course.

Well there is always a Perrin TMIC with WI/meth. You retain the bumper beam and also have the ability to run a larger turbo..

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Havn't gotten to the bumper yet.

Missing one T-clamp. One of the T-clamps came broken. Had to go buy some hardware cause some of it either wasn't right, or I put bolts in wrong places cause there's no instructions.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Only thing left to do is cut the bumper... I probly won't get to it tonight. I'll and get more of the write up done though.

Side note: Make sure you triple check everythign before test driving.... I could only get 11psi and a quick check showed that I completely forgot to put the T-clamp on the throttle body.

The intake is LOUD..... but that may be cause the bumper is still off

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

+1 on J255c's comments on FMIC's. It seems as though they all have issues with some having less issues than others. I went with the AVO and although they left a lot to be desired, I consider it to be at par with the competitors out there.

And have fun trimming your bumper cover. I probably trimmed and fitted the piece on my car over 30 times. A piece of advice: Trash the popits that connect the top corners of the bumper cover to the fender and replace it with a small nut/washer/bolt setup. Much easier to remove should you need to take the cover off in the future and much much easier to put back on again.

Agreed on the bumper cover trimming....

It is by far the most time consuming & frustrating of the entire FM install. Esp. if you are doing it @ 3:30am:eek::mad::(:(:(

+100 on that! And, after we finished and everything fit well and looked fine, I decided to add a mesh over the I/C... what a PITA! Took a couple of hours more to trim, trim and trim again to fit a thin expanded metal screen.

Dave at WBR, told me up front to cut out the opening as big as I can...let more air in!

I finished my install last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought and it helped that I did it in stages over two Saturdays. The main problem was my miscalculation about the the AVO intake fitting. I'm now using it in the short ram configuation.

This was my first FMIC install so it was a learning process. In retrospect, it really wasn't too bad, especially after reading about some of the Perrin and AVO installs. I think the key is laying out the parts to see how everything goes together (duh), and then doing a loose fit to let everything settle in and adjust. Despite some of the negative comments from others, I think most of us would agree that the kit is a great value for the money, and should provide a real performance gain, especially versus some of the Ebay cores I've seen.

Thanks Dave (at WBR) for stepping up and creating the LGT version.

+1 on J255c's comments on FMIC's. It seems as though they all have issues with some having less issues than others. I went with the AVO and although they left a lot to be desired, I consider it to be at par with the competitors out there.

And have fun trimming your bumper cover. I probably trimmed and fitted the piece on my car over 30 times. A piece of advice: Trash the popits that connect the top corners of the bumper cover to the fender and replace it with a small nut/washer/bolt setup. Much easier to remove should you need to take the cover off in the future and much much easier to put back on again.

+1 on using a bolt and nut for the corner of the front bumper,..the popits wont get them together again,..

I just finished mine too and had some fitment problems with the BOV hose and the EGR hardpipe,..I went to local parts store and bought some radiator hose as my BOV hose couldnt reach my AVO BOV,..also with the flange and pipe there, the EGR hardpipe next the the throttle body could no longer reach the rubber hose going to the engine block,.went to store to get 1/2 hose connector and hose,..Also,..buy extra T-Clamps or worm clamps,..your choince, they will break,....Also luckily I had a box of nuts and bolts as you will need them and trimming the front bumper is trial and error,..I used a Craftsman heavy duty tin snip scissors and they Big cutter,..a box razer cutter was very handy too,...I just went for a test drive and the only problems I see is that the intake pipe hovers the Positive battery terminal,..but I put a large old silicone tube over the pipe to protect it, and the silicone hoses next to the metal flange on turbo side is close to hitting the hood,...its also close to the the brake fluid lines,..I adjusted many times and still cant get it to clear,..

All in all its done,...took me yesterday and today,...8-10 hours bothe days as I only had WBR pics to go by,...Hope the rest of you peeps enjoy the info as it will make it easier for you guys,..

MW, thank you for the write up and heads up on the snags. I was taken aback by the packing job as well and was surprised at the "hole" under the BOV flange....that baby needs cleaning up!

Having not done an IC job yet, this ought to be interesting for me when I do tackle it....and knowing my track record for mods and length of time, I should start on a Friday night and get an IV started and stay awake all weekend :lol: ....I'm just too meticulous sometimes....okay, all the time.

I'm not sure if I have "ALL" the parts, and I did have 1 clamp that came thru "broken" but it seemed to be able to snap back into place.

MW, what material did you use for the gasket between the turbo and turbo adapter?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Pressure test by removing the CAI and blocking the intake with a tin can. I have a shrader valve attached to the can and then am able to put air into the pipes.

I technically had 2 broken t-clamps. One had the sleeve fall off, which snapped back on. The real broken one came with a crossthreaded lock nut.

I bought a roll of "treated fabric gasket" and cut it to fit.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

bump. Adding these to the install thread. Keep in mind im running an sti style turbo.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/DSC01824.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/DSC01832.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/c0lbyj/DSC01826.jpg

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

to the OP you might want to get a rubber o-ring for the coolant cylinder. I noticed some paint chips would flake off mine and fall into the coolant. 35c at the hardward store.

yeah i did notice a lot of crap at the bottom of the stock coolant overflow. The o-ring would go where the new coolant line you make enters the can on the side, just to make it seal up better so contaminants cant get in as easily.

Archived