LegacyGT.com

WBR FMIC Install

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some of the stuff in these pictures have been revised thats why i deleted it. You do not need to cut that metal piece anymore, the washers space out the fmic enough where its not needed anymore.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Pressure test by removing the CAI and blocking the intake with a tin can. I have a shrader valve attached to the can and then am able to put air into the pipes.

I technically had 2 broken t-clamps. One had the sleeve fall off, which snapped back on. The real broken one came with a crossthreaded lock nut.

I bought a roll of "treated fabric gasket" and cut it to fit.

would it be possible for you to write a more thorough and step by step directional of how to pressure test the FMIC.

like for instane what is a shrader valve? and why would you do it to the intake...wouldnt the intake be going right to the inlet tube right into the turbo?

is anything else blocked off?

would it be possible for you to write a more thorough and step by step directional of how to pressure test the FMIC.

like for instane what is a shrader valve? and why would you do it to the intake...wouldnt the intake be going right to the inlet tube right into the turbo?

is anything else blocked off?

+1

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Thanx OP. maybe i will start my install this weekend. I was on the first GB, and it has been frustrating by the lack of support from this bush-league vendor. I always liked how the sale threads would get "sale bumped" everyday, like this thing has sold 100 units. this thread may save me the $350 install cost at the local subie shop.

Added pressure test to post #5

Schrader valve is what the valve on your tire air stems is called.

Yes, it goes through the inlet and into the turbo...then through all the piping and the core then into the throttle body and wherever.

Engine OFF!!!!! You should see pressure on your boost gauge.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Added pressure test to post #5

Schrader valve is what the valve on your tire air stems is called.

Yes, it goes through the inlet and into the turbo...then through all the piping and the core then into the throttle body and wherever.

Engine OFF!!!!! You should see pressure on your boost gauge.

thanks man, this helps alot, does anything have to be pinched off, i read somewhere that pvc lines have to be clamped shut?

in addition will this pressure test do any damage to the engine, all i wanna do is presserize to about 20psi thats all, and you said the boost gauge should work, so i should have the key in the 2nd position but not start the motor up yet.

nah man i got a premium electrical prosport boost gauge.

the route of air would go:

intake->inntake inlet->through the turbo->through the fmic->up to the intake manifold, where it would stop becuase of the valve in there?

I'm surprised WBR hasn't made a post in this thread. He owes you guys big time (especially mweiner2) for taking the time to post some great pics/instructions of the install.

I guess he's too busy bumping his posts in the "For Sale" section. :lol:

He's rewarding me by sending me the parts that were missing/broken.

o boy. I can't wait. i really want those parts now. I'm so excited. Can't you hear the enthusiasm in my voice. Seriously, I'm waiting by the mailbox all day and night. I can't live without those peices. O boy, yay

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i hate to play the devils advocate here... but perrins fitment is far worse, is a stupid design because the cold charge pipe gets hot again flowing over the turbo and it doesnt really fit w/ the fog lights. You need to have a shop fabricate a special silicone adapter piece/tube to retain fogs.

Previously you had to cut the drivers side charge pipe that connected to the FMIC and use a 90* elbow (to retain the fogs). Perrin has since redesigned the pipe and no cutting or elbow needed (keep the fogs no problem). I have it and I believe Wukinada has it as well. They only cutting needed for the Perrin is the bumper cover and a touch on the headlight support bracket, I'd say that's minimal compared to what I've seen with this FMIC.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Pressure test by removing the CAI and blocking the intake with a tin can. I have a shrader valve attached to the can and then am able to put air into the pipes.

I technically had 2 broken t-clamps. One had the sleeve fall off, which snapped back on. The real broken one came with a crossthreaded lock nut.

I bought a roll of "treated fabric gasket" and cut it to fit.

FYI for anyone who pressure tests a system, it's not a bad idea to remove oil cap so you don't potentially blow the valvecover gaskets.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I installed the WBR fmic (mounted anyway) on my 08 and the only cutting I had to do was on the bumper and the wheel well guards. Speaking of which, I am a little concerned about that, because the CAI sits above the passenger side guard and I'm worried about water getting in there cuz the charge pipe hangs down a little and the guard had to be hacked, any input? On the upside I guess more air gets in there too.:rolleyes:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/IMG_1000.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/IMG_0989.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/IMG_0998.jpg

Archived