LegacyGT.com

Updated Navigation with Factory Screen

grbspecb

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

We are sorry, but we do not know. The Kenwood contract with Subaru involves Subaru performing all support for the product. We just provide the location whereby the disc may be purchased. We would suggest calling Subaru at 1-800-SUBARU3(1-800-782-2783).

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

James Sebby

Product Support Representative

Kenwood USA Authorized Call Center

PO Box 22745

Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Phone: 1-800-536-9663 x 1918

Fax: 559-324-4594

Email: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/simple.aspx?men=2&M2=38&M3=81p

When asked about the differences between my current v.2 and the new v.3.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

We are sorry, but we do not know. The Kenwood contract with Subaru involves Subaru performing all support for the product. We just provide the location whereby the disc may be purchased. We would suggest calling Subaru at 1-800-SUBARU3(1-800-782-2783).

James Sebby

PO Box 22745

Garmin makes the maps and probably the software overall.... I think.

James Sebby

PO Box 22745

What an odd reply from Kenwood. :confused:

Was this rep implying that SOA makes its own maps/programs and then allows Kenwood to sell them? Weird.

What an odd reply from Kenwood. :confused:

Was this rep implying that SOA makes its own maps/programs and then allows Kenwood to sell them? Weird.

They gave me a similar reply. They told me to contact the dealer for options. But from their answer it makes sense if you know Garmin makes the maps.

V2 is way out of date around here. I constantly drive on the tarmac at the jetport. :rolleyes:

It also has no clue where one of the Subaru dealerships is around here. If I were to follow it, I would end up at an amusment park.

• 3 weeks later...
there is a kenwood package out there that has the screen and g510. there is another thread on that see that for non factory lcd installation

Very nice work, but what cables are coming from the navi computer. Is there coming a separate cable on wich the gauges and fuel info are feeded?

I would like to know if this info is still there if you use the G510. Do you know or have experience with the coupling of the KOS 500?

Is the KOS 500 be able to handle the signals from both G510 and carcomputer in regards to the infopanel?

I think we need to send a petition about these $238 a year DVDs with old info. 2k Nav upgrade and you have to pay every year for old info, this is bad. Seriously, Garmin sells those DVDs for $80 a year for the older models. Free for the SD card updates, I mean come on.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Cons:

Voice does not mute radio and required additional speaker for voice

Agold has posted on another thread that a Russian guy found a way to translate what the Navi unit is putting out so that it will mute the audio on the radio. He sells the adapter for $100 or $150 unfortunately. I like your speaker idea though.

Installation:

-Removed OEM under the seat unit and put new unit in its place.

-Wired the 2 power wires, ground, and routed attena hiden under rear shelf

-Ran new video cable to back of LCD OEM screen

-Installed a small amp I had, 18watts and a small speaker in headliner on drivers side through the map light

-Installed FM Traffic unit to Factory atenna using Scosche adapters

When you ran the new video cable to the back of the LCD screen, did you plug it into the RCA connection that is available back there? Or is this the OEM video cable that comes with the G510 and replaces the one that was used for the Subaru/Kenwood unit?

I've been very tempted to get this done on my car. The V3 maps I use are not that outdated for my region (but they still have failed me sometimes), but I travel to Mexico a lot and hate having to look at an empty screen. Garmin has Mexico maps available and it would be nice to see a map instead of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/havanahjoe/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTYtMjAwOTAzMDQtMTg1M.jpg

I am amazed I missed this tread when it started way back in 07!

Overall, this looks like a fairly slick way to handle upgrading the under-perfoming stock navigation unit, but after reading through the thread and watching the video, I am left with a couple of questions...

Are the OEM 'displays' (you know, the ones that show you 5 different ways on your fuel consumption) still available via the info button?

Anyone have any idea if that second 'I agree' dialog can be disabled? I thought one 'i agree' was bad enough! :spin:

My hat is off to the OP. Well done!

So how would someone go about doing this in an 09 non-Nav car so that everything is functional as factory?

Is it even possible?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Overall, this looks like a fairly slick way to handle upgrading the under-perfoming stock navigation unit, but after reading through the thread and watching the video, I am left with a couple of questions...

Are the OEM 'displays' (you know, the ones that show you 5 different ways on your fuel consumption) still available via the info button?

Anyone have any idea if that second 'I agree' dialog can be disabled? I thought one 'i agree' was bad enough! :spin:

The "OEM displays" are still available and are built into the screen itself. the "i agree" disclaimer is built into the screen as well. No one has figured a way of getting rid of that yet.

I remember reading a post in one of the threads talking about this swap and there was a mention of disabling "safe mode" or something like that on the G510. I assume this disables the lockout while in movement, but I wonder if it also disables the I Agree screen on the G510. I highly doubt it since all Garmin units have this same screen.

I added factory Nav to my 2009 GT 5MT and it is possible. It just requires work! There is a mini how-to in my picture thread.

Wow, that's awesome!

I wonder if all of the info stuff will work in the N/A cars? Probably. They are all CANBUS, so it should work.

So I would need the whole Factory Nav unit minus the actual DVD brain to run this Kenwood unit with the stock screen? And all of the Info stuff that comes factory still works with the Kenwood unit above?

What about reverse camera wiring?

That is EXACTLY what I want. I currently have a DNX7100 that I want to sell/trade for a factory nav setup (minus the brain if the Kenwood replaces it).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's a good point. Perhaps through the AUX port or something?

That's a good point. Perhaps through the AUX port or something?

Mine's in use for the mediaplayer, but even so, you'd have to switch to aux when you wanted audible alerts which would defeat the purpose.

I recall reading in one of the threads something about a box some guy in Russia was able to setup.. I'd prob be willing to spend the money on that myself if it would make for a fully seamless integration. Whether or not they're available would be a concern though.

But for Satellite Radio, that wouldn't be a problem.

My current Kenwood DNX7100 doesn't interrupt music unless you are listening to satellite. Then again, I have voice nav turned off and only have a chime when directions change. I may not have noticed.

Archived