LegacyGT.com

What oil filter are you using?

i stoped using fram when i noticed they started comming apart on my old 93 camry

after 3k i could shake it and it feel like a cylinder moving up and down inside, so one day i took it to work and cut it open.....i was very disapointed.

so now i use only oem, pureone , or napa gold which is wix

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OEM . And I avoid Wall mart stuff like the plague. Every year they ask the supplier to drop the price. Guess what suffers?????
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I use OEM or Pure One. I have also used NAPA Gold filters. They are (or used to be) made by Wix.

I will never buy another Fram filter again. I had to rebuild an engine once because of a Fram filter. I have heard several other stories about having to rebuild an engine because the Fram filter came apart.

• 3 weeks later...
OEM . And I avoid Wall mart stuff like the plague. Every year they ask the supplier to drop the price. Guess what suffers?????

I have no information on the Wal Mart Filter itself, but your comment about "Every year they ask the supplier to drop the price. Guess what suffers?????" warrants a response... I assure you, every company DEMANDS that its suppliers drop the price every year.

I'm in Purchasing and I see very significant cost reductions each QUARTER, let alone year. Guess what? My quality measurements have never been higher. It's called continuous improvement / lean, etc... :)

I just grapped a NAPA Nascar Select oil filter this afternoon. Couldn't find the Golds on the shelf. I guess I should have asked the guy at the counter. Oh well.

From what I've read, the NS filters are between the Gold and the regular NAPA Select filters. It's made by WIX too!

I'll be doing my oil change later this weekend. If my engine dies, NASIOC and lgt.com will be the first to know!

LaterZ!

Darren!!

I use OEM or Pure One. I have also used NAPA Gold filters. They are (or used to be) made by Wix.

I will never buy another Fram filter again. I had to rebuild an engine once because of a Fram filter. I have heard several other stories about having to rebuild an engine because the Fram filter came apart.

you ever see the inside of a fram filter?

As a matter of Fact I have. I worked at Oreilly Autoparts for over 7 years selling autoparts, before and while in college.

A wix rep came in one day, pulled various filters off the shelf and cut them open with a special cutting tool.

I never EVER, after that, used a FRAM filter. The biggest marketing scam I have ever seen. Their filters are absolutely JUNK. The top and the bottom of the filter was CARDBOARD inside and the paper filter element was held together with a piece of string. The check valve "spring" was a slightly curved piece of sheet metal, not a coil spring like the more expensive filters.

WIX was by far one of the best filters out there. I now use Mobile 1 filters with mobile oil. But if I can't get one of those I use WIX or a NAPA GOLD made by WIX. If I remember pureolator was very good as well.

Perfect way to prove you are the best. Just pull them off the shelf, pay for them and cut them open right in front of the customer.

Alot cheaper than all the money FRAM spends on advertising which is probably why their filters are so CHEAP. :cool:

In two different ways -

In the first case, the insides were plugging the oil pump because the filter came apart.

In the second case, I cut one appart to show my dad how they were built and he will never buy one again either.

Archived