LegacyGT.com

What oil filter are you using?

Oil filter Study, you may or may not have seen this:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Letter from a Fram Engineer posted in the study

Russell, I obtained great satisfaction from reading your oil filter survey. I worked for two years as the oil-filter production line engineer inan Allied-Signal FRAM facility and I can confirm every bad thing youhave said about FRAM automotive filters. That's from the horse'smouth, as it were.I'm also a quality engineer and can confirm that FRAM applies noquality control whatsoever to any of the characteristics for which webuy oil filters. I frequently saw filter designs which were barelycapable of meeting J806. Many of FRAM's designs will block and go tobypass after trying to filter very little contamination. There wereoften leakage paths at the paper end discs when these were notproperly centered on the elements. Some designs had the pleats sotightly packed against the center tube that they would block off in notime. I had discovered that the FRAM HP1 that I had been buying forabout $20 Cdn was EXACTLY the same as a PH8 inside - the onlydifference being a heavier can - no advantages in flow capacity. Thepaper filtration media was of apparently poor quality and the processof curing the paper resin was very inconsistent - elements would rangefrom visibly burnt to white. FRAM's marketers admitted that there wasjust about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filtercontributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAMtested for was can burst strength. Another problem that they have fromtime to time is in threading the filter base - often there are strandsof metal left behind on a poorly formed thread.I have not used a FRAM filter since I started working there. Theirclaims are entirely and completely marketing bullshit.If people really want to protect their engines, a good air filter isvital (which excludes FRAM from that list as well) and a combinationof one depth and one full-flow hydraulic filter, together in parallel,will do the job of filtration to perfection.Thanks for doing a great job in trying to get the truth out! You canquote me anytime. [name omitted to protect submitter]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I'm a newbie to Subaru, but got sucked into the various oil filter discussions, and am disappointed with what I read about blue OEM filters vs the old black ones. Sure enough, dealer has blue only (except in their display case...that's deceptive).

Anyway, I came across a brand called Hamp. Just search ebay. Supposedly Japanese-made. More Honda-oriented.

Anyone have good info on them? Cut one open, etc. Comparable to Roki?

One concern I have is one site mentioned that they are guaranteed to raise your oil pressure. Is this a good thing?

Heres a link to a hamp cut open..

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

If you want a solid, well built filter.. I'd go with Wix or Napa Gold, basically the same filters with a different paint job. I wouldn't overthink oil filter choice though, its not as important as a lot of people would like to think.

I'm a newbie to Subaru, but got sucked into the various oil filter discussions, and am disappointed with what I read about blue OEM filters vs the old black ones.

Wait wait wait... what do you mean? I thought the Subaru OEM filters were the best for our cars??? I just recently had an oil change done on my car and had a blue Subaru OEM filter put on my 09.

Do you have a link?

Before I had a K&N filter on my car and I had heard nothing but great things about it. Hence why I got it.

But now, I am looking at M1 for my car. I especially loved the M1 oil in my car. Felt damn good!!

• 2 months later...
I think if I was going to change oil often, I'd use oem, wix, or purolator. Since I'm not, I switched to Amsoil and Amsoil EAO filter. With these, I'm going to stretch the OCI to 15,000 miles. I don't like to change my own oil and I don't like the hassle of getting it changed. It will also cost less.

I think if I was going to change oil often, I'd use oem, wix, or purolator. Since I'm not, I switched to Amsoil and Amsoil EAO filter. With these, I'm going to stretch the OCI to 15,000 miles. I don't like to change my own oil and I don't like the hassle of getting it changed. It will also cost less.

That's a lengthy OCI.

I'm using Amsoil EaO-12 filter and M1 0w-40 and I would only stretch my OCI to 6000 miles max. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but my fear is that banjo bolt getting clogged.

Amsoil states the interval for their best oil with their EAO filter is 25,000 miles. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going to trust that they know their stuff. I'm also thinking of removing the banjo filter just in case... If I leave it, I'll definitely check it.

I change it monthly or almost bimonthly so oversized pureone and since penzoil was $2 more than the shoptech full syn I got that. Last oil change (300 miles ago) the full syn extended mobil one was $2 more than the penz so I tried that out.

Amsoil states the interval for their best oil with their EAO filter is 25,000 miles. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going to trust that they know their stuff. I'm also thinking of removing the banjo filter just in case... If I leave it, I'll definitely check it.

That is incorrect for the LGT.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2008+SUBARU+LEGACY+E

SUBARU TURBO SPECIAL MESSAGE:

Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change. With this Subaru factory related design issue, AMSOIL INC. therefore must recommend customers follow the new Subaru oil change interval of 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months until Subaru resolves this issue.

• 3 months later...

Archived