LegacyGT.com

6-speed synchro replacement

dr_sharp

When I shift from 3rd (at a high rpm, say 4500+) to 4th, 4th grinds before it grabs. This happens no matter how slow and easy I am on the car and the clutch is always to the floor. I showed the tech this yesterday and they ordered the parts for a synchro replacement. I guess its a pretty serious job for the 6-speed and I'm have to schedule 4 or 5 days of service once the parts come in.

Didn't think it was worth posting but I figured I'd do my part to fill up the new forum :)

lol

13k this evening. Car has done it since I bought it. I didn't notice it until around 5k miles b/c I never redlined 3rd until then. The clutch engagement is pretty high up... I don't really have anything to compare it to though... exept for a couple of stis... which engage at like 0.01mm haha
lol

Just curious. How far from the floor does the clutch engage on your Spec B, low, medium, or high?

it depends on deterioration of the clutch. Now on my car after 35000miles it engages very far from the floor, but when the car was new it was vice versa.

I have always wondered if short throw shifters can cause synchro problems... Think about it.. if you slam through the gears quickly with a regular shifter, things grind a bit...

A STS makes the throw shorter and thus the shift quicker, so it must put more wear on them, no?

even with a stock shifter during the race you shift very quickly, but you have to move your hand faster but with less strain. All in all there is no difference. Every quick shift (with shortsifter or not) is harmful for the transmission

it depends on deterioration of the clutch. Now on my car after 35000miles it engages very far from the floor, but when the car was new it was vice versa.

I bought my car with 6700 miles on it and the clutch engages about 2" from the very top. I complained that the clutch is on its way out. Stealership says it works fine, but I have my complaint registered in their computer from Day 1 and also with SOA.

• 1 month later...
Thanks

I dunno about cost, this will all be done under warranty... and won't be done until mid October. I'll post that info if I ever actually see it.

Well I dropped the car off on October 15th. Just got it back yesterday, Nov 5... 3 weeks exact. North Park Subaru in San Antonio is by definition, clueless. The only reason I didn't file some form of complaint is because they gave me a fully loaded 08 Tribeca as a rental and only charged me half price for my 15k mile maintenance. I'm pretty sure the rental which I put 1400 miles on in 2 weeks cost more than my car, haha.

lol

I bought my car with 6700 miles on it and the clutch engages about 2" from the very top. I complained that the clutch is on its way out. Stealership says it works fine, but I have my complaint registered in their computer from Day 1 and also with SOA.
I know you posted this a while ago, but damn! My Spec engages right about even with the foot rest, you barely have to breathe on it. Where did you take your car, Burlington Subaru?

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived