LegacyGT.com

Snow Tire, Necessary or not?

2furious

Hi, guys. It's been great for last 3 months in Denver. I settled down in Highlands Ranch and am working at I-25 and Dry Creek. I saw several LGTs to and from the work. I hope I can come to the next meeting to see you guys all.

Now, there is a Thread going on regarding Snow Tires... But, I just want to know you guys living in MW area. I already purchased the Colorado Pass and plan to go skiing every weekend. The 470 and 70 should be okay but sometimes, I believe, it is getting nasty when it snow late afternoon... So, Do you guys recommend me to purchase dedicated snow tire instead of Stock for the winter or RE92s is good enough ? I just want to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

Don't know the area you drive but will say that the RE92 left a lot to be desired for winter driving. I got a set of Dunlop M3's and they performed better in snow and in the dry. If you are not sure you want to switch back and forth take a look at the Conti Extremes and the RE960's. I have no experience with the Contis but several people here love them...the 960's I have on teh wifes A4 and last winter she thought she had her Blizzaks on. While I don't think they were as good as the Blizzaks in the deep stuff I was able to pull her car out through a snow bank no problems where the Suby with snows had a little trouble.

As everyone is saying above, get a set of snows.

Definitely do some "High-performance" snows like the ones in my thread, but I have been on 70 when the plows were stuck and I was having to plow through greater than 10" of snow. You will want snows, not All-seasons, for what you are talking about.

I told Scottybuckeye, I buy tires for when I need the most grip. I get real summer tires that can perform in the rain for that reason, so I get real winter tires that perform in snow and ice for the same reason :D

:spin:

I would only go through a light winter on relatively new Re92s. They are ok, but especially when they wear down a bit, definately NOT confidence inspiring in wet or snow.

I live in Canada, we get a fair amount of snow. I bought re960s. They are AWESOME. They grip pretty much like a summer tire in summer, a winter tire in winter and great in the rain.

If you live in a place that gets serious amounts of snow I would still go dedicated winters, but otherwise a really good set of A/S should do you fine in winter and summer.

I lived in Wildcat Trail & McArthur Ranch area close to Copper Mesa Elem School.

MY LGT is Silver with Spoiler and looks like stock and it is except AP.

Am I living close to you?

With the last couple of winters we have had I would get some dedicated snows.

Where in the Ranch are you? I live in Highlands Ranch as well. ;)

I lived in Wildcat Trail & McArthur Ranch area close to Copper Mesa Elem School.

MY LGT is Silver with Spoiler and looks like stock and it is except AP.

Am I living close to you?

Do you work near Bono's on Dry Creek...there have been a couple times I remember seeing an LGT going across Dry Creek at the light near Bono's. I remember it looked stock and pretty sure it was silver...

I don't know where Bono's is but I do work in I-25 and Dry Creek.

Do you work near Bono's on Dry Creek...there have been a couple times I remember seeing an LGT going across Dry Creek at the light near Bono's. I remember it looked stock and pretty sure it was silver...

Bono's is right on I-25 and Dry Creek. It's the first thing on the north side of Dry Creek IIRC. Pretty good BBQ place, I like their sweet potato fries.

Oh yeah...so it's pretty good, I've never been there. Do you like Bono's or Brothers better? I've heard from one other person that Bono's is pretty good, but their service was extremely slow.

I never said necessary, just nice

I agree. Snow tires are not necessary in Colorado, however, they would be nice. I've always just had all-seasons, but admit that there are a couple times where it would have been nice to have snows (especially this past winter). I've also driven a friends suby that had snows and they were incredible. I also don't drive up to the mountains very often during winter (maybe once or twice), so I don't know what the need for snow tires would be up there.

Oh yeah...so it's pretty good, I've never been there. Do you like Bono's or Brothers better? I've heard from one other person that Bono's is pretty good, but their service was extremely slow.

Let me preface by saying I grew up in Florida so I'm pretty spoiled by Georgia and SC BBQ. With that said, Bono is probably my second or third favorite local BBQ place. The other place I like up here is Rib City by Kipling and C470. I'm not a big fan of Brothers. My favorite BBQ is a little trailer off I-25 and Founders Parkway down by Castle Rock Outlet Mall. It's really just a trailer in the parking lot and I think they just opened within a couple of months but they got some good stuff. If you guys ever go down to the southeastern part of the country you should check out Sonny's BBQ chain. If you can't tell already I love BBQ. :p

Let me preface by saying I grew up in Florida so I'm pretty spoiled by Georgia and SC BBQ. With that said, Bono is probably my second or third favorite local BBQ place. The other place I like up here is Rib City by Kipling and C470. I'm not a big fan of Brothers. My favorite BBQ is a little trailer off I-25 and Founders Parkway down by Castle Rock Outlet Mall. It's really just a trailer in the parking lot and I think they just opened within a couple of months but they got some good stuff. If you guys ever go down to the southeastern part of the country you should check out Sonny's BBQ chain. If you can't tell already I love BBQ. :p

I guess I'll have to check out Bono's sometime. I haven't really found a great BBQ place in this area. I used to really like Piggin Out (which is also in a trailer) over by Kipling and Morrison, but I'm not too close to that anymore. I usually eat at Brothers because one of my buddy's really likes it, so we meet up there for lunch. I might have to suggest the next time we try Bono's.

I haven't really found a great BBQ place in this area.

I hear you.

I was in Hilton Head, SC last month for a conference. I was in hog heaven, sampling the local BBQ just about every night. Give Bono's a try, it's more of a sit down place than Brother's, and definitely order the sweet potato fries.

I've not owned a set of snow tires since moving from Minnesota to Colorado in 1990. Not necessary. I'm still on the original RE92s that came on my 05.

Wow, I must say you're either a really good driver or just lucky!:) Even here in Cali I feel the need to get a separate set just for winter (believe me if I have the money I would've done it a long time ago). The stockers are okay as long as you keep it on the mellow side. But the car totally skids when you brake...even when you're not going that fast!:( I do have to say I'm amazed that I've never gotten stuck, though.

Just my $0.02

...I got a set of Dunlop M3's and they performed better in snow and in the dry...

I'd go so far as to say they have as much grip in 35-50deg weather, wet or dry, as the Toyo T1-R's in middle of the summer.

Around here they serve as more of a half-year tire since we could see snow from October to March. During the last six month romp I used less than 1/32nd of tread so I don't feel like I'm wasting tire on the days when it's dry and mild...

Honestly, if they were on 17" versions of my summer wheels, I'd probably put them on in anticipation for an awesome winter! I'm really not looking forward to seeing the stock wheels on my baby... :(

edit: To the point, get a winter tire as opposed to a snow tire and you'll see improved longevity and dry performance at the expense of being able to handle the really extreme icy conditions.

Man, last winter was the first winter i had my car and that SUCKED on the RE-92's. I was sliding all over the place and couldnt get traction to save my life. Not bad for the other 3 seasons though. I recently purchased some Kumho AST's as ive heard they are pretty good in the snow. So far they have been good in the rain, and dry conditions.

I've been running Hankook Ice Bear's on my stock 17's for the last two winters...they aren't "necessary" but are absolutely kick ass to have when you need them.

I run 18" Kuhmo ASX's in the summer. I could probably make it year round with these, but prefer the added security the Ice Bears provide when the white stuff starts to fall.

Definitely a nice security blanket to have out here IMHO. Especially if you like to hit the slopes etc...

Get the snows..... I had Michelin X-Ice on my Talon and plan to do the same for the Legacy.... AWD is great in the snow, but putting on snow tires makes the car seem to accelerate like a snowmobile.... not to mention that snow tires stop and turn MUCH better than all-season tires when the road gets nasty, that's worth it in itself...

As an added benefit, your other tires will last longer because you're not beating them up all winter long.. the expense is a wash when you think of it that way...

Archived