LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake Out - Stock Box Back In

Carter

Last night on my drive home from work it was a blistering 90 degrees outside. Some ass in like a 93 Ford Explorer decided he wanted to illegally get next to me at a light and try to get ahead of me. Of course me being cocky, I wasnt going to let it happen. I knew when the light was about to turn green so I got on it right before it changed. To make a long story short, I almost lost to this piece of shit ford. I barely got passed him. So I honestly thought it was the SPT intake. When I got home I got under the hood and that mofo gets pretty hot even with the heat shield. The air filter itself was hot to the touch. I have since put the stock box back in and I hope that it will make a difference. I unplugged the battery for about 30 minutes before plugging it back in and took it for a 5 mile round trip. We'll see what happens now. I admit it isnt what I thought it was going to be, but I do miss the sound it makes.:p

I want more power, and I need more power, but I dont want to void my warranty. Any suggestions?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ No doubt! I posted a thread about this just a few days ago, (don't go there - thread was hijacked by boys arguing about oil pumps :lol:) performance in hot weather does indeed suffer. We had a string of 105-112 degrees for about a week and the performance of my car was weak indeed.

I'm not sure if the ECU adapts to hot weather (in my part of the country we have at least thirty 100+ days every summer). Getting back to "normal 90's" put the pep back in my car, though.

Sorry to hear that the SPT intake didn't do much for you, I was considering one myself. :mad:

exhaust is the only option you have. But, on a 90 degree day, whatever you do, your car will feel weak. Thats the nature of a turbo powered vehicle.

/

being truthful though. even in my 5 eat it was over half way through first. without launching. up here in wa though. 90 was rare this year.

I posted in that "other" thread about the heat today.

You mentioned the light... With 90+ temps, heatsoaking a TMIC is pretty easy to do at a light.

I had a worst-case scenario today. Driving 60 mph with 97 degree temps, just caught a light. Sat for a minute. So sloooow getting back up to 60. kayak on the roof didn't help, but I felt like I was driving a stock LGT again (about 40WHP difference).

being truthful though. even in my 5 eat it was over half way through first. without launching. up here in wa though. 90 was rare this year.

makes no sense...

anyhow, as richard says, we haven't had many days over 90 here, but I can tell the car is slower even over 85 degrees. I would hate to see what it is like at 100. The car feels great below 70 though.

makes no sense...

anyhow, as richard says, we haven't had many days over 90 here, but I can tell the car is slower even over 85 degrees. I would hate to see what it is like at 100. The car feels great below 70 though.

sorry. it was game over for the explorer. i was ahead half way through 1st without even launching.

exhaust is the only option you have. But, on a 90 degree day, whatever you do, your car will feel weak. Thats the nature of a turbo powered vehicle.

/

All ICEs will weaken on hot days FI or not. The SPT intake, however, is a detriment according to many and an intercooler heat soaked from sitting idling at lights with no air flow is't going to help matters.

/

and something to spray cool water or winsheild washer fluid onto the intercooler would help with the heat soak and not void anything. you could also add an aftermarket panel filter

and something to spray cool water or winsheild washer fluid onto the intercooler would help with the heat soak and not void anything. you could also add an aftermarket panel filter

I did think about IC spray but I didnt bother to look anything up - Its called laziness. Maybe in a few hours I'll look something up.

lol. you can make your own for cheep. especialy if you use the stock legacy resivour for w/w fluid. add in a pump where the wagon one would be. run lines to the hood (follow the other ones). get a couple nozels (pepboys or murrays could hook ya up) and then figure some way to mount it.

some thing like this isnt going to make you 300hp or even 30hp. but it well help cool down the intercooler to help you get that jump off the line

Archived